Setting MFP Calorie targets and activity trackers

Options
I am looking to set my target calories for weight loss, and i am trying to understand how to set up MFP with the correct cal targets

lets say a fairly standard 3,500 cal deficit per week (500 cals per day).

I wear a activity tracker (Garmin Forerunner 235) and use a Garmin 820 for cycling (cals determined from a power meter), which both automatically updates my activities/calories expended to my fitness pal (via Garmin connect).

Theoretically these provide MFP my calorie expenditure due to Non-Exercise Activity Thermogenesis (NEAT) and Exercise Activity Thermogenesis (EAT).

If i take an average daily NEAT and EAT for the week, e.g. ave 1,100 cals a day at current activity level), and my Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR “Mifflin-St. Jeor Equation”) is ~1,800 cals. If it is assumed that TEF (thermic effect of food) is about 250 cal, then.....

BMR + NEAT + EAT + TEF = TDEE (total daily energy expenditure)

1,800 + 1,100 + 250 = 3,150 cals a day

So at my current activity level and a target 500 cal deficient, i calculate the targeted food intake in MFP to be set at 2,650 cals a day.

Does that sound right, as it does seem a lot, and i am going to have to work hard to eat well .

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    bigmike12 wrote: »
    I am looking to set my target calories for weight loss, and i am trying to understand how to set up MFP with the correct cal targets

lets say a fairly standard 3,500 cal deficit per week (500 cals per day).

I wear a activity tracker (Garmin Forerunner 235) and use a Garmin 820 for cycling (cals determined from a power meter), which both automatically updates my activities/calories expended to my fitness pal (via Garmin connect).

Theoretically these provide MFP my calorie expenditure due to Non-Exercise Activity Thermogenesis (NEAT) and Exercise Activity Thermogenesis (EAT).

Don't do anything below this - because you are correct to this point. And then started getting complicated for no benefit.

MFP will correct itself to match the Garmin for daily calorie burn - and remove a deficit for a revised eating goal.

Eat that.

Simple - Done.

Now - if you'd prefer not to have a moving goal daily, and would prefer to eat the same amount daily - just look at your weekly stats for average TDEE.
    Take avg of last 3 normal weeks (don't include super busy or sick weeks) and on Sun set that less your 500 deficit as your daily eating goal for the week.

Don't even worry about the Sun change if it's not more than 50 cal.

That will take care of changing TDEE as seasons change, and workouts - though slightly delayed in response.