Breastfeeding question

Options
I breastfeed where can I add the amount of calories I burn?

Replies

• MsOpus
    MsOpus Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    You Don't.
    You need to factor in your own diet that you need a minimum of 500 calories/day for baby. So, if you have set your calorie deficit to lose 2 lbs per week, and your calorie deficit is anything less than 1700-1800 calories you will not have enough minimum caloric intake to fuel both you and baby. (1200 calorie minimum for you and 500 for babe)
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I breastfeed where can I add the amount of calories I burn?

I thought there used to be a breastfeeding entry in the food log that actually added calories to your goal rather than subtracting, but I'm not sure about that.

I have seen many experienced users say that they set their account to maintenance and let breastfeeding create their deficit, and ate a bit more if they struggled with hunger or were having supply issues.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    there are entries in the food diary for it (make sure you select one of the ones that says -# for calories)
    or
    you can log it in the exercise section as you would any other exercise and it will add the calories to your goal
    or
    you can just manually adjust your goal in the goals tab

if you need help setting a goal this post has alot of great info in the second half: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10176233/gaining-weight-during-pregnancy-and-losing-it-post-partum