Calories given

Options
Hey
Ive just setup a profile with mfp and input my details. Its given me a calorie goal of 2070 cals per day with the aim to lose 1lb a week. Im 5 ft 8 and 245lbs. Does this seem high for loss? I also input exercise 3x week.
Any advice would be great!

Replies

• rachel82_mfp
    rachel82_mfp Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks :) Ive stuck to what mfp says and have gained this week :/ so going to alter slightly and decrease cals by 150 per day to see how that turns out.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    Are you using a food scale? If not, you're most likely eating over your calorie allotment.

Good luck with your journey!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Hey
    Ive just setup a profile with mfp and input my details. Its given me a calorie goal of 2070 cals per day with the aim to lose 1lb a week. Im 5 ft 8 and 245lbs. Does this seem high for loss? I also input exercise 3x week.

Oh, that goal of exercise 3 x a week is merely a goal for the Exercise Diary page - it has no bearing on calories eaten math.

When you actually do exercise and log it, you have then done more than MFP was accounting for.
    So if you burned 200 more calories, then you get to eat 200 more calories.

The deficit for losing the weight stays the same, and if you picked a reasonable deficit you don't increase it that way.

And sounds like you picked reasonable activity level for non-exercise daily life.

That is indeed correct calorie goal - you may just not be used to how many calories were in what you used to eat.

So your only idea on calories may be articles talking about 1200 cal diets and junk like that.

Oh, if username is correct with Rachel - be prepared with monthly water fluctuations - it'l take over a month to see beyond the noise of those.
    Use trendweight or such.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9, and I can lose on that amount of calories.

As for not losing any weight, read this article. If you've started any new exercise, your muscles are retaining water to repair themselves.

http://physiqonomics.com/the-weird-and-highly-annoying-world-of-scale-weight-and-fluctuations
  • zebasschick
    zebasschick Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    what activity level did you set? that makes a big difference!

setting my activity level to sedentary gives me 1,690 calories per day to maintain my current weight.

setting my activity level to active gives me 2,150 calories per day to maintain my current weight.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Lightly active is the only way to get to those calories, which is so true for so many compared to sedentary.
    Very few are truly a bump-on-a-log all night and weekend outside of exercise.
    Though if you exercise a lot your remaining time may indeed be sedentary.
  • kyle0404
    kyle0404 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Hey

For the most part the calorie goals on here are pretty accurate. The caveat to any daily calorie goal is that lean mass (muscle) needs calories, and fat doesn't. So if you have a higher body fat percentage you might consider dialing back the calories some, but any adjustments should be small. Losing one pound per week means only cutting out a total of 500 per day from what you need to maintain current weight. The recommended calories on here is a great place to start. If you don't lose weight consider trimming off a little more.
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Emmapatterson1729 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    I started at similar place. I was around 230 5'8" originally it gave me 1410 calories. Started losing very quickly. I wanted to slow my loss down a little, changed goals. Now eating around 1600-1700 and still losing.

Nothing on MFP is set in stone. Can always play with goals and numbers until you start seeing the results you like!

Good luck!
  • rainbowblu
    rainbowblu Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Adjust your activity level