Is the maximum of ~30 grams of protein per meal myth busted?

Options
batorkin
batorkin Posts: 281 Member
The growing tend of the last few years seems to be that consuming much more than 30g of protein per meal will result in unused protein. However, there have been studies that show eating 30g of protein 6 times and day versus 60g of protein 3 times a day resulted in no overall difference in muscle gains. I still see people claiming to spread your protein out though...

I don't know what to believe. Is it wrong for me to start every day with a frozen fruit/yogurt/protein smoothie that contains 63g of protein? Would I really benefit more from making 2 smaller smoothies and spreading them out?

Replies

• LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    I don't read studies about things like this. I also don't pay much attention to the macros. I focus on staying in a calorie deficit and lose weight.

As long as my doctors are happy and my bloodwork is good, I'll keep doing what I'm doing.
  • manowarrule2003
    manowarrule2003 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I guess if you were a 250lb mass monster... You would be awake all day trying to space out 30g portions. Doesnt make sense
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    I had never heard this one before. There is a ton of bro science when it comes to meal timing and protein intake and muscle building, this seems like it is one of them. Eat your protein when you want, how you want. A lot of people try to make it more complicated out there than it needs to be, and I wouldn't let them do it for you.
  • edickson76
    edickson76 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Jeff Nippard myth bust Monday series addresses this one. Give YouTube a search.
  • magnusthenerd
    magnusthenerd Posts: 1,207 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    It probably doesn't matter much in the grand scheme of things, but there may be some utility in having some spacing of protein. I think 4 servings a day with 30g that hits necessary aminos particularly leucine is going to better than say having all protein for the day in a single meal. Not by a huge amount.
    Getting in protein within a 2 hour window before or after your workout is probably good.
    The instant it becomes a stressing point, the cortisol probably is more detrimental than the benefits from optimization of timing.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Yes it's a myth - basically if you eat it your body will use it.
    Rates of absorbtion aren't the same thing as your body can't use a large bolus of protein.

Worth a read....
    https://examine.com/nutrition/how-much-protein-can-you-eat-in-one-sitting/