Do these electric muscle stimulation devices work?

Hello there guys,

I was wondering if these devices really stimulate and develop your muscles? And more importantly, don't they damage them? Is it healthy? Or even worth?

I would appreciate some feedback because I'm thinking about buying one for my abs 🙂

Thanks.

Replies

• No. There is no easy way out.

The only time I would ever reccomend electrical stimulation like a tens unit would be as a rehab sort of thing.

If you want abs, train your core 2 - 3x a week and diet down to a BF % where abs become visibly defined
  • zebasschick
    zebasschick Posts: 910 Member
    years ago, i went for regular EMS treatments on a professional machine. my legs, stomach, butt and arms firmed up very much and very visibly. they weren't damaged, but it does take a light touch to keep them from contracting too hard. is it healthy? who knows? consider that there's no cardio effect. it did strengthen my muscles, but keep in mind that it probably doesn't strengthen the connective tissue, and that's important when it comes to things like lifting.

as far as using it for your abs, if you're trying to get sexy abs, whether stronger ab muscles will help depends. if you have loose skin or fat over your abs, you won't be able to see a difference - or at least, not much. the thing that makes for smooth tummy or sixpack abs is fat loss. of course, if you're like me and have extra skin from weight loss or being pregnant, strengthening your abs probably won't show.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    What is your body fat percentage? To "get abs" as people traditionally think of it, you need a low body fat percentage. Then you can develop them through normal exercise. There is no need for tightening devices.
  • k8eekins
    k8eekins Posts: 2,264 Member
    edited September 2019
    I've never used EMS ever, however, offhandedly I can imagine that they do work up muscles (relevant to neuromuscular issues for example) effectively, whereby one's health status (heart issues in particular) and the duration of use will need to be adhered to.

For me personally, if I was more informed about this EMS alternative, where I receive confirmation from trusted sources (sports medicine) that I can save time and will effectually maintain and enhance select parts of my body to its absolute ultimate prime status using this, aside from being mindful of my nutrition, I most certainly would, once or twice a week, at most, which will open up other possibilities with how and where I can instead invest my time. I work towards muscle fatigue with my workouts anyway, which I gather is how it affects the body, so ...

Hopefully, some who've used them for fitness or for health purposes for having been bedridden for a time, will give insight to your curiosities before likely purchase.
  • neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Oh yes, they obviously do! One of the easiest ways to make big money - from gullible people. And what's even better, one session is never enough - it is ongoing into eternity and the money stream will never stop.
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    I don't know if this is quite the same thing, but I wear a tens machine most of the time, for lower back pain and sciatica. 2 of the pads are situated on my buttocks. I've used it for well over 5 years and have it turned up quite high at times. It's made no difference to my glute muscles. I only wish it had.
  • JBanx256
    JBanx256 Posts: 1,471 Member
    these 3 studies say NOPE:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28513326
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26110693
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21643920

Sorry, but you can't just sit around and let a machine (or cream, or pill, or powder, or potion) "get abs" for you, although plenty of companies have made millions by promising otherwise.