Alternatives to chocolate (and all that bad stuff)

SallyannF
SallyannF Posts: 9
edited October 1 in Health and Weight Loss
Hey, does anyone have any good alternative to chocolate? I'm scoffing like there's no tomorrow and have pack back on some weight (enough to make me feel crap anyway) I need a sweet fix - or is this just conditioning....... can I get out of this habit by exercising some self control!
Advice really appreciated :flowerforyou: X

Replies

• wcasie
    wcasie Posts: 299 Member
    I take graham crackers and cool whip (chocolate or regular) and make a sandwich of it and put it in the freezer for a half an hour or so till it hardens. It makes a little ice cream sandwich with very few calories!! good luck!
  • NyxDominique
    NyxDominique Posts: 271 Member
    I just picked up the FiberOne Chocolate Brownies. They are decent size and taste quite nice, plus have large amount of fiber leaving you feeling full after. They are only 90 cal you might want to give them a try
  • I don't know any alternatives BUT I do know there is a herb you can by from a herbalists which if you take when you eat chocoloate it makes it taaste DISGUSTING! Apparently (I haven't tried it, my mum and friends have) but all you taste is the fat, perhaps someone here can remind me of the name, if not I would call your local herbalists and ask them. It will stop the binging!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    i have always had a sweet tooth, but these days i tell myself that chocolate has no nutritional value so is a waste of calories! that or i have things like light chocolate mousse (60 cals) or snack packs of chocolate bisuits if i really fancy something chocolatey.
  • disawell
    disawell Posts: 102 Member
    I'm going "treat size" chocolate every day since starting MFP LOL planned of course, sometimes i just have it in the freezer to look forward to at the end of the day. I can usually take or leave chocolate and I have been conditioned to think that it is the biggest dietary sin out there (when pasta is actually my downfall!) but I find having the little chocolate each day makes me feel like it's a huge treat and it tastes very rich and decadent, and makes me feel like I am not dieting at all. Portion control rather than deprivation I think...
  • disawell
    disawell Posts: 102 Member
    I'm going "treat size" chocolate every day since starting MFP LOL planned of course, sometimes i just have it in the freezer to look forward to at the end of the day. I can usually take or leave chocolate and I have been conditioned to think that it is the biggest dietary sin out there (when pasta is actually my downfall!) but I find having the little chocolate each day makes me feel like it's a huge treat and it tastes very rich and decadent, and makes me feel like I am not dieting at all. Portion control rather than deprivation I think...
  • keiraev
    keiraev Posts: 695 Member
    One square of dark chocolate only has about 50 calories. Personally I can't eat any more than two squares as it's too rich. Milk chocolate is a different story so I say away from it altogether.

What about hot drinking chocolate- there's some good low calorie ones out there.

At the moment I am getting my chocolate fix by drinking a glass of chocolate milk after I've done a workout- it's full of protein, a bit of carbs and supposed to help repair muscles.
  • xMissAprilx
    xMissAprilx Posts: 143 Member
    I take graham crackers and cool whip (chocolate or regular) and make a sandwich of it and put it in the freezer for a half an hour or so till it hardens. It makes a little ice cream sandwich with very few calories!! good luck!

Sounds delicious!
  • gdr1976
    gdr1976 Posts: 460 Member
    I just picked up the FiberOne Chocolate Brownies. They are decent size and taste quite nice, plus have large amount of fiber leaving you feeling full after. They are only 90 cal you might want to give them a try

Yea they also have some FiberOne antioxidantebars I found today. I got the chocolate chip ones and they are only 120 cals per bar.
  • I always keep squares of dark chocolate in the freezer its takes longer to eat because it is frozen and dark chocolate is much richer than milk so you eat less.
  • CristineD
    CristineD Posts: 59 Member
    I allow myself a "treat" everyday....here are my options...so far, a few months in of calorie counting, I haven't binged:

Skinny Cow ice-cream sticks (94 calories)
    Weight-watcher treats (brownies, carrot cake slices)
    Low fat chocolate mousse pots (around 60 calories)
    Nutella ( a simple teaspoon from the jar)
    A biscuit (love custard creams)

I put my "treat" in at the same time as I put my breakfast in and then that way the calories are already taken up without me going over later in the day when I add it in.
  • hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    For my chocoalte fix: Jello Sugar Free Pudding. 60 calories. [:
  • MissbusyLizzie
    MissbusyLizzie Posts: 326 Member
    Luna Protein bars... the cookie dough one is good I think, and the chocolate peanut butter one is even better! It tastes like a reeses mixed with a butterfinger IMO. They are my "candy" these days! :)
  • I make chocolate delight- half a cup coconut oil (melted)- half a cup unsweetened cocoa powder- stevia to taste- put in little muffin cups or candy molds and freeze for 10 minutes
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    I'm a chocoholic and can eat a whole 200g chocolate bar in one go, or happily munch my way through a packet of bisuits in the afternoon or in an hour watching TV in the evening. I don't have one sweet tooth, I've a whole mouthful :laugh:

As a pledge to a friend, I agreed to give up chocolate and biscuits and cakes for 8 weeks. That was three weeks ago. Since then, I've disovered MFP and started counting calories. I was shocked at how much i was eating - all wholesome I might add (well apart from the sweets), but in supersized portions that I'd become so accustomed to I thought they were normal. I started to cut down my portions and started to learn to become calorie conscious. I also wanted to up my fruit and veg count because I knew I was a bit lax at getting my 5 a day.

I know at some point I will have chocolate again and I may have to go cycle for 60mins to burn it off :laugh:

I don't want to have to give up sweets, but I do need to give myself a break from them and try and break that cycle of comfort eating.

I do not believe there are any good foods or bad foods as such, but you can't eat a lb of chocolate biscuits and expect to get as much nutritional benefit as say a lb of greens. But having a couple of small cookies when friends call over for a coffee, or having a small piece of cake or pie at a birthday party. What's the harm in that (as long as it's not every day).

I've actually weaned myself off of snacking between meals almost 90% and when I do snack, I go for fruit or sometimes an oatcake or celery with cottage cheese. :bigsmile:
  • nadiB
    nadiB Posts: 283 Member
    2 scoops of vanilla icecream - 100 calories :laugh:
  • I like your idea about the shake after a workout, I've heard there are some good ones out there. What one do you use?
    Hot chocolate too is good idea, fluid too so makes you feel full........ thanks :smile:

So many good sugestions, thank you all so much. I'm gonna give some of them a try (not all at once though :laugh: ) One has to work.
    ooooooooooo freezing dark chocolate sounds good too.

Thank you :flowerforyou:
  • notebooksecrets
    notebooksecrets Posts: 36 Member
    I've replaced chocolate bars with light cereal bars. Alpen light chocolate and orange - 62cal - om nom nom!!
  • jfinnivan
    jfinnivan Posts: 360 Member
    I make chocolate delight- half a cup coconut oil (melted)- half a cup unsweetened cocoa powder- stevia to taste- put in little muffin cups or candy molds and freeze for 10 minutes
    Huh? Coconut oil has 120 cals per tablespoon, or 960 cals per half cup. How much do you eat? It seems like a regular piece of chocolate has fewer calories.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Hey, does anyone have any good alternative to chocolate? I'm scoffing like there's no tomorrow and have pack back on some weight (enough to make me feel crap anyway) I need a sweet fix - or is this just conditioning....... can I get out of this habit by exercising some self control!
    Advice really appreciated :flowerforyou: X

I prefer you not swear at me, talking about chocolate like that is blasphemy.
    There is no true alternative to chocolate, and rich dark chocolate with a high cocoa %age is actually good for you (in moderation). Just remember to eat it responsibly (I like to get dark chocoloate chips instead of a bar of chocolate, it helps me control my portioning better), and remember that you can't taste with your teeth, so it lasts longer if you simply let it melt away on your tounge.
This discussion has been closed.