Any gluten free peps out there?

Options
Hey Fitness pal world,

I’m looking for some people who are doing the gluten free diet. It appears I’m having trouble with gluten myself and need to change my diet, but I have no idea where to really start. Anyone out there who could be a mentor in this area? It’s a big step for me because I’ll have to cut a lot out so some help would be great to get this change started!
Thanks everyone!
Katelyn

Replies

• SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    I eat gluten free due to a wheat germ allergy. Technically gluten is not an issue for me but since wheat is in almost everything and the most common source of gluten it works for me to eat this way.

Why are you going gluten free?
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    I eat gluten free as it seems to trigger migraines. I have not found any gluten free bread/buns/wraps that are worth buying or baking. Pasta replacements are all fine, baked goods both store bought and home baked are fine. I tend to eat more naturally gluten free foods instead of processed stuff though. Just add fruit and veg in larger servings, Potatoes(red or sweet), brown rice, oatmeal, etc. I don’t find any of the condiments I like have gluten at all so I was free and clear there, but get used to reading labels a lot! Occasionally I bake regular bread(my fam is not gluten free) and have to have a slice, I suffer digestive issues for a day or so but one serving is not usually a trigger for me. One serving a day over three days does it though. I tend to avoid 99% of the time and grab a serving once a month or so when it is very tempting. Most gluten free peeps won’t eat this way but it saves me while in uncontrollable situations sometimes and gives me a treat.

Start slow, buy small servings of new gluten free items until you know what you like. And if you are a baker, cut the recipes by half or more because some are really not worth the ingredients.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    I eat a Gluten Free Diet due to a diagnosed Non-Celiac Gluten Intolerance. I don't find it to be much more expensive, but I also don't use a whole lot of "GF" substitutes. Instead, I focus on whole foods, made from scratch, where I control 100% of the ingredients. I will rarely eat some GF spaghetti or maybe some GF pretzels, which can be more expensive, but I don't eat them often so don't really see any impact on my grocery bill.

Feel free to check out my diary.

Some things I do: I use spaghetti squash or zoodles in place of spaghetti noodles, most side dishes are rice or potato based, but on the rare occasion I make something for my family that isn't, I just don't eat it. Like salads? Things like nuts and seeds add a great crunch in lieu of croutons.

If you really want to try the GF alternatives, Aldi has a great GF line that is fairly inexpensive compared to a lot of other ones.
    [edited by MFP mods]
  • Womona
    Womona Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    I like Udi’s Soft &Delicious bread for my sandwiches, but you absolutely HAVE to toast it! I also like Barilla’s gluten free pasta. It tastes the most like the regular kind. I like Caulipower frozen pizzas with a cauliflower crust. I’m just sensitive to gluten, not allergic. I pay mightily if I eat pizza or pasta!
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I'm not really gluten free, but eat mostly veggies, fruit, and meat. We add in minimal rice and legumes. A typical lunch for me would be kale with some dried mixed veg, season with Bragg's liquid aminos and sesame oil, red chili, and an egg.
  • matti422
    matti422 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I have celiac disease and can give you tips, but - as noted by Igfrie - it is a non-trivial diet. You have to be prepared to read every label, refuse to eat non-labeled food (including things friends make for you, even if they insist they gluten fee), and to carry stacks of "safe" food with you whenever you travel or are away from known safe restaurants. You also need to get real comfortable with demanding answers from wait staff, calling toll free numbers on packaging, and standing your ground while waiters and pharmacists verify every ingredient and component of your food, toiletries, and medications. True gluten free goes beyond a substitute bun and is very, very difficult.