Why is losing weight too fast a bad thing?

Options
Just like the title says, my question is, why is losing weight too fast a bad thing?

Obviously, I do not mean eating a dangerously low amount of calories - I know why that's unhealthy.

But let's say someone is really active. They're eating 1800 calories a day but still losing 3lbs a week. They're eating a decent amount of calories...getting necessary nutrients. Is it still not advisable to lose the 3lbs a week? Should they really look into eating more calories to slow the weight loss?

Replies

• LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    Fast weight loss is typically not sustainable weight loss.

There's no one size fits all answer to your question. We are all unique and so our bodies will react uniquely to weight loss.
  • koalathebear
    koalathebear Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Maybe the question can be recut. Is losing 1kg a week automatically bad/too fast or can it be safe/healthy even if you are not extremely obese?
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    Maybe the question can be recut. Is losing 1kg a week automatically bad/too fast or can it be safe/healthy even if you are not extremely obese?

1 kg a day (2.2 lb) is not automatically bad. Losing about 1% of body weight per week is recommended. Can it be safe/healthy if you are 5'3, 135, losing vanity weight? IMO, no. That's because of math.

Someone 35, lightly active, with those stats probably burns about 1800 per day. There's no way to cut enough to sustain a loss of 2.2 lb without it being too low.

Yes, the person can add exercise -- say running on average 10 miles a day -- to add another 1000 cals a day, but obviously with that amount of intense exercise they will need more cals to avoid over-taxing their bodies.

I tend to think this is more the situation being considered, and not the 440 lb man (who certainly can lose faster).

It's not just a matter of nutrition, if you lose too fast in this case you will lose more muscle and can have negative effects on sleep, hair and nails, as well as the other things mentioned, and will likely end up with all the symptoms of overtraining, as well as potential hormone disruption, at minimum.
  • StaciMarie2020
    StaciMarie2020 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    When you are in a caloric deficit - your body finds the needed energy elsewhere. Aiming for a slow & steady weight loss while also eating plenty of protein and doing weight training means your body will take the majority of what it needs from your fat stores, and very little from muscle. Going too fast means your body will take more from muscle. Losing muscle has negative consequences.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Thinking of the body as a biological system - these systems adapt well under gradual changes - much better than under dramatic changes. Drastic changes result in stress - some quantifiable, some not. This is why very low calorie diets/low calorie diets require some manner of medical monitoring.

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,958 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    What Azdak said.

All you people disagreeing with him have been drinking the MFP Kool Aid.

Someone who is morbidly obese would do fine on 1800. It is way more important to get that weight off as soon as possible (for the obese/morbidly obese.)

That person has plenty of body fat to use as fuel. It's important to get good nutrition with that 1800, but it would be more than sufficient - regardless of activity level.

I didn't disagree with Azdak. But it's possible that people are looking at OP's picture, considering the possibility that she is asking about herself, and automatically disagreeing with anything that might seem to give her permission. I'm not saying that's a good reason, mind you :wink: just thinking out loud.

Of course. That's when reading is helpful.

..and then, sometimes I don't read either. :lol:

I just think Azdak has been one of the most helpful and knowledgeable posters on MFP for many years. I tend to White Knight those people.