Only lost 3 lbs. in 3 months? WTH?!

Options
Busting my butt since end of June working out 5 days a week (cardio and weights) eating within my calorie intake (I was told women shouldn’t eat below 1200 a day) and scale will not budge over 3 lbs. I eat pretty healthy. I have gotten some definition in my arms but I think I still look too pudgy. I’m 5’3” and want to get down to 115. Someone please help. What am I doing wrong? Am I supposed to muscle up and then I’ll drop the weight?

Replies

• NeenDale
    NeenDale Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I never heard of weighing the food. I am constantly reading food labels and if there are no labels, I won’t eat it.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing you are not that overweight which means that your deficit is likely fairly small (I'm talking about how many calories you are eating versus what you are burning). 1200 calories is not alot of food so the question @Justin_7272 asked is appropriate. You should NOT go below 1200 even if you're tempted. When you have a small margin for error you really need to weigh everything you eat with calories in it. You might be eating more than you think if you aren't doing that.

Everyone's metabolism is different. I have been frustrated at times by people assuming that if their maintenance calories are 2000 that everyone's are. In my case (I'm 63) maintenance is around 1400 before exercise. So if I want to lose weight 1200 is only a 200/day deficit. That's less than a half pound a week. In all fairness I am pretty sedentary but I walk about 10,000 or more steps per day to increase my calories a bit. So the question is what is your maintenance level? Once you determine that you will have a better window into how long it will take for you to reach your goal.

For some of us it takes longer to lose than it takes others. We just have to be aware of that and be patient.
  • NeenDale
    Options
    Thanks everyone... I didn’t realize it was going to be such a headache. Ugh. I feel like I’m already depriving myself. It’s hard when you live with someone who pretty much doesn’t care what they eat and still loses weight. And I’m 5’3” and stuck at 134 for like what seems forever. I am going to start weighing everything, but like someone said it could become a little OCD. Lol
  • NeenDale
    Options
    How do I keep portion control and weighing in control when going out to eat? Is using the size of your fist a good measure?
  • Go_Deskercise
    Go_Deskercise Posts: 1,630 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    NeenDale wrote: »
    How do I keep portion control and weighing in control when going out to eat? Is using the size of your fist a good measure?

When I go out to eat, I look at the menu before I go and try to get an idea of what I want to eat and if it fits into my calories for the day. Some menus will have the calories listed which is somewhat helpful but not always the most accurate.

- Pick something grilled/blackened/baked instead of fried
    - Pick a healthier side than fries like vegetables or a salad with dressing on the side so you can add the amount you want
    - Don't be afraid to order an appetizer as a meal - a lot of times I do this because it's the size of an entree anyways
    - Watch that you aren't drinking most of your calories

Have fun and enjoy the meal! You didn't gain all the weight in one meal, so you won't ruin your progress with a couple overindulgent nights out.
  • jsparks4000
    jsparks4000 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    If you are eating back exercise Cal's...I've found calorie estimates for exercise in MFP over estimate calorie burn.
  • Go_Deskercise
    Go_Deskercise Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    NeenDale wrote: »

When I go out to eat, I look at the menu before I go and try to get an idea of what I want to eat and if it fits into my calories for the day. Some menus will have the calories listed which is somewhat helpful but not always the most accurate.

- Pick something grilled/blackened/baked instead of fried

- Pick a healthier side than fries like vegetables or a salad with dressing on the side so you can add the amount you want
    - Don't be afraid to order an appetizer as a meal - a lot of times I do this because it's the size of an entree anyways
    - Watch that you aren't drinking most of your calories

Have fun and enjoy the meal! You didn't gain all the weight in one meal, so you won't ruin your progress with a couple overindulgent nights out.

This is good advice.

Only thing I would change is that "blackened" bit. Blackening is done by pan frying in oil or butter and adding the spices onto the meat before placing it into the (usually) butter. I love blackened, but it's not low-cal.

Good to know, thanks!!!