How to be disciplined around family

I was amazing with my diet before kids, it’s becoming difficult as my kids and husband are always snacking. My husband’s coworkers come over often for beer and snacks... im surrounded by it all... I need some tips or support! Halloween candy is coming soon and I’m dreading it!

Replies

• LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Maybe you could save calories for the end of the day to share snack time with your family, if you don't feel strong enough to resist.
  • tristramtrent
    tristramtrent Posts: 257 Member
    I make a joke of it. If DH waves cookies at me I close my eyes and say “ nope, my mind is a fortress.” And you know, that does give me a funny feeling of empowerment.
  • AwesomeOpossum74
    AwesomeOpossum74 Posts: 106 Member
    Nothing says you can't eat when they do. My go-to's are raw fruits/veggies (apples, bananas, carrots, celery with peanut butter), unsweetened apple sauce, sugar-free Jello, broiled peanuts (in shell, so I don't gorge by the handful). High protein foods will help with the urge to binge.
  • RenaSkam
    RenaSkam Posts: 16 Member
    Maybe it's time to change up the snacks that are served to the family & friends? Not saying the kids can't have chips, but why not make it pita chips (very simple to make homemade) and low fat dips or even hummus? If you make things homemade & have the kids help they are more likely to eat it too, I've done this with the grandkids & never thought they would eat it but turns out they do! And who doesn't love to snack on a fruit tray? You could even serve it with fruit dip for the kids and then you just avoid that part.
  • 12Sarah2015
    12Sarah2015 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Sounds like my situation! I was great before marriage and so healthy! My husband and i have had a big chat together about our whole families food.

We have zero sugar except on weekends now..so maybe you can have no candy for kids except 1 day for the week?

Think about who chooses the snacks, beer etc. Can you habe lower strength for example. Can you add some strawberries and grapes on the side?I do the shopping and cooking now, since i cook the healthy meals, not husband.

Think about what you eat just before. Are you hungry when the coworkers come over?

Think of what you are doing right in brekky/lunch/dinner, not just the negatives re snacks. I have super healthy meals myself and the kids for brekky and lunch. Snacks r hard for us too. I try to portion size the nut snacks in the family...this is the hardest, still getting there.

What about your friends? If they arwnt coming over, then ask hubby to limit times for his friends so you can invite yours too. Fruit and cheese (no bikkies) is offered as the only food to my female +child guests for am and pm tea.
    Hubby doesnt bring people home except for dinner...maybe swap it to inviting them for a full meal?

Beer-could you abstain to make it easier, or drink only when with your hubby?. My Hubby drinks but in moderation and doesnt drink with friends-they eat dinner with their and our families instead. Fortunately his coworkers love family style picnics etc...not sure if your hubbys would do the same or not?
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    edited October 2019
    Think of your role in the family - one your kids, spouse, etc need to look up to. One to model behavior from. One who has their stuff together, but can also relax and drop their guard at key moments.

Budget in a snack and a drink. If out of budget switch to something like seltzer and lime. You're there for the social aspect - what you eat is completely arbitrary.

I've been blessed to know some amazingly successful people and they all have one common trait - they do everything right about 80% of the time and slip (sometimes deliberately) 20% of the time.
  • HarveysBud
    HarveysBud Posts: 420 Member
    I was amazing with my diet before kids, it’s becoming difficult as my kids and husband are always snacking. My husband’s coworkers come over often for beer and snacks... im surrounded by it all... I need some tips or support! Halloween candy is coming soon and I’m dreading it!

I hear that. I find when ever my 2-year old snacks, I am dipping in to whatever she has on the go! It's awful. I just keep my app open, and look at my daily log. If I have no room, or do, it dictates my decision. And I think about next summer, and some of the clothes I want to wear that no longer fit me since I chunked out!
  • elfin168
    elfin168 Posts: 202 Member
    have a smaller deficit not a big one, as the bigger the deficit the more your self control will waver. eat plenty of protein, make changes you can maintain for a lifetime not until you stop dieting and gain it all back. eat some of the candy/icecream/chocolate etc and log it or replace it with alternatives that you love. i eat icecream frequently