Activity Challenge for Sedentary/Beginners That Wants To Get Moving

Replies

• Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Still having some stomach issues so today I did two 7 1/2 minute walks just in my backyard. The grass and the leaves slowed me down just a bit so not as many steps and a little shorter on mileage. I hope tomorrow I am back to normal.

Walking Program

Week 1 Totals 80 min/9,786 steps/4.1 miles

Week 2

Daily Step Goal - 5000-7500

9/29 15 min. walk/1865 steps/.9 miles - 5771
    9/30 15 min. walk/1902 steps/.9 miles - 5274
    10/1 15 min. walk/1808 steps/.9 miles - 5055
    10/2 15 min. walk/1788 steps/.8 miles - 5083
    10/3 15 min. walk/1697 steps/.7 miles -
    10/4 20 min. walk/
    10/5 20 min. walk/
  • Annie_01
    LeeH31 wrote: »
    Today was walk day. 48 minutes, 2.27 miles. A bit slow today because I worked 2 hours right before. Annie, so happy you are sticking with this even when you feel icky. Hang in there!

We all have slow days but at least we are moving! How are your resistance bands going? I hope that you enjoy them. I need to use mine tonight...I keep putting it off.
  • threewins
    threewins Posts: 1,455 Member
    Another good day at the gym.
    Running
    1 minute at 5.5 km/hr
    4 minutes at 5.3
    10 minutes at 5.1
    55 minutes walking at 4.7
  • LeeH31
    LeeH31 Posts: 312 Member
    Had company unexpectedly yesterday, so my exercise was mad dash housework before they arrived!
  • Annie_01
    Walking Program

Week 1 Totals 80 min/9,786 steps/4.1 miles

Week 2

Daily Step Goal - 5000

9/29 15 min. walk/1865 steps/.9 miles - 5771
    9/30 15 min. walk/1902 steps/.9 miles - 5274
    10/1 15 min. walk/1808 steps/.9 miles - 5055
    10/2 15 min. walk/1788 steps/.8 miles - 5083
    10/3 15 min. walk/1697 steps/.7 miles - 5565
    10/4 20 min. walk/2417 steps/1.2miles -
    10/5 20 min. walk/
  • Annie_01
    Had company unexpectedly yesterday, so my exercise was mad dash housework before they arrived!

Life happens and we just got to work with it. As much as we would like and no matter how well we plan we will always have things arise. It is my lame excuses that I come up with that is my downfall. My head/stomach hurts, it is too hot, my back, my ankles...etc...etc. I can come up with a million and one excuses for not doing something. That is the part that I am trying to work on. My head starts talking to me and if I listen I might as well pull off my shoes and go back to bed.

At least your house is clean now...mine is a wreck and if company came to the door I would probably just go rent them a motel room! That is today's project...clean my house before the weekend.
  • LeeH31
    Hey Annie, I totally get the "lame excuses". I excel at that, myself. But for me, housework is more than a chore, it is what I do for a living. So when I say I did housework for 90 minutes, that means while my husband "tidied up", I cleaned 2 bathrooms, dusted, vacuumed, and mopped the hard floors throughout the house! That's exercise, any way you look at it! :D
  • LeeH31
    More cleaning today, 4 1/2 hours of heavy cleaning at our place of worship. I'm totally wiped out for today! Hope you had a good one.
  • Annie_01
    Walking Program

Week 1 Totals 65 min/ 7955 steps/ 3.22 miles
    Week 2 Totals 110 min/ 13308 steps/ 6.3 miles

Week 3

Daily Step Goal 5500

10/5 20 min walk/2370 steps/1.1 miles - 5866
    10/6 20 min walk/3165 steps/1.5 miles
    10/7 20 min walk/
    10/8 20 min walk/
    10/9 20 min walk/
    10/10 20 min walk/
    10/11 30 min walk/

Steps and distance include warm-up and cool-down.
  • Annie_01
    More cleaning today, 4 1/2 hours of heavy cleaning at our place of worship. I'm totally wiped out for today! Hope you had a good one.

Your cleaning is your workout I would think. That is a lot of cleaning.

Are you still riding your bike? I keep thinking about bike riding but I have developed this horrible sense of balance...and it has been about 30 years since I have been on a bike. To be quite honest I also think there is a little(maybe a lot) sense of fear after having surgery and plate put in my wrist.

Have a great Sunday everyone!
  • LeeH31
    Yes, I am still riding my bike. I hadn't been on one since childhood (I'm 61). But we live in a quiet place on a dead-end FLAT road, so I just took it slowly and found that I did just fine. It's true what they say about riding a bike...once you learn it your body remembers how to do it! And it's just as fun now as it was way back then!

I also borrowed a bike from a friend to see if it was something I wanted to pursue before going out and buying one. And the one I bought is a Walmart bike, nothing special, until I see if I am going to continue with it. So far I am really enjoying it, but it will be quite a few more months before my legs are strong enough for any length of ride. 2.37 miles is about all I can get through for now, but I am slowly increasing as I feel able. Next week I am going to try for 2.5 miles.

If I progress to needing a "real" bike, I will go to a bike shop and get professionally fitted for one, probably buy an excellent used bike since new ones can be really pricey.

Also, I am not worried about speed, I just do what I can do comfortably. I still am exerting myself, just not hurting myself. One thing, if you are going to ride, get a good pair of padded bike shorts and save your crotch!!!

• Annie_01
    Walking Program

Week 3

Daily Step Goal 5500

10/6 20 min walk/3165 steps/1.5 miles - 5922
    10/7 20 min walk/
    10/8 20 min walk/
    10/9 20 min walk/
    10/10 20 min walk/
    10/11 30 min walk/
  • belldee9
    belldee9 Posts: 5 Member
    Today is the first day that I started any form of walking/running after an accident. Did a 1k step of brisk walking and hopefully I'll improve by the end of this month.
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    I am missing 1/4 of my talar dome on the left after a backcountry fall, past 20 years or so, on the right about 2 years ago I injured my posterior tibialis tendon, which supports the arch. This was misdiagnosed as 'plantar fasciitis' (despite being far more debilitating) until I managed to get an MRI which showed the real problem. So now I'm getting orthotics in a couple more weeks that will hopefully help a lot. I'm still having pain after being in an immobilization boot for two months. Dr. Scholl's inserts (the ones picked by a tester machine) are helping a lot while I wait for the prescription orthotics. Hoping to start walking more than just to the bathroom or store-scooter once I get the orthotics and have broken them in (or more accurately, accustomed my feet to them).

Was a sprint-length triathlete in college, so these debilities have been really soul crushing, especially having the latest one piled onto the other.
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Annie_01 wrote: »

Your cleaning is your workout I would think. That is a lot of cleaning.

Are you still riding your bike? I keep thinking about bike riding but I have developed this horrible sense of balance...and it has been about 30 years since I have been on a bike. To be quite honest I also think there is a little(maybe a lot) sense of fear after having surgery and plate put in my wrist.

Have a great Sunday everyone!

If you have a wrist brace consider wearing it when you ride so that even if you do take a tumble the injured wrist is protected.
  • Annie_01
    belldee9 wrote: »
    Today is the first day that I started any form of walking/running after an accident. Did a 1k step of brisk walking and hopefully I'll improve by the end of this month.

Keep us posted on how you are doing. Just add a little each day. Over time it adds up.

• Annie_01
    LAT1963 wrote: »
    I am missing 1/4 of my talar dome on the left after a backcountry fall, past 20 years or so, on the right about 2 years ago I injured my posterior tibialis tendon, which supports the arch. This was misdiagnosed as 'plantar fasciitis' (despite being far more debilitating) until I managed to get an MRI which showed the real problem. So now I'm getting orthotics in a couple more weeks that will hopefully help a lot. I'm still having pain after being in an immobilization boot for two months. Dr. Scholl's inserts (the ones picked by a tester machine) are helping a lot while I wait for the prescription orthotics. Hoping to start walking more than just to the bathroom or store-scooter once I get the orthotics and have broken them in (or more accurately, accustomed my feet to them).

Was a sprint-length triathlete in college, so these debilities have been really soul crushing, especially having the latest one piled onto the other.

Sorry for all of your setbacks. We don't appreciate our mobility until it is taken away.

When you get started back walking please post here and let us help cheer you on. I wanted a place for people that were having to start small could post about their progress.

The idea about the wrist brace is good...I hadn't thought about that. I still have the one that I wore after I shattered my wrist.
  • tiabirdie56
    tiabirdie56 Posts: 3,977 Member
    edited October 2019
    @Annie_01, Today I'm joining your challenge. I saw it the day you posted it on the challenge board, but was not quite ready to join. I used to be an over exercise achiever for many years. Walk 6 miles in an hour, swim, water jog, weight training, HIIT on the elliptical. Most of the time, all in one day, every day. Lots of injuries of course. All to say, I was never sedentary. That changed 11 years ago. Time for exercise became time to care for a brother that was ill, a niece and her new baby, grandchildren. Lots of sitting brought on a horrible case of piriformis syndrome and muscle imbalances. Through all of that I still went to the gym, but not on a regular basis. Then my gym closed. Smh. Lol. Gotta laugh.

I had couple of falls, one resulting in badly sprained wrist and another a high ankle sprain with twisted knee. My knee is out of alignment. Now, after a recent bout of adrenal fatigue, still recovering, I'm working on gaining my fitness back. It's going to be slow and I have to accept that. I have to push myself, but not too much. I will post what I plan to do daily and the changes that I had to make. I'm still trying to do things I know that I can't, but my body corrects me lol😂

My name is Tish and I'm 63 yo.
    •I use Sparkpeople . com challenges, several rehab exercises, walking and strength exercises as my body permits.
  • Annie_01
    Welcome Trish! This challenge is about doing whatever we can and getting us back to an active life. Right now I am concentrating on walking and some resistance training. I use resistance bands and some light hand weights. They are enough for now. Posting here has helped me get out the door in the mornings to take that walk. I have to push myself still to do that resistance training but it is getting easier.
  • Annie_01
    Walking Program

Week 3

Daily Step Goal 5500

10/6 20 min walk/3165 steps/1.5 miles - 5922
    10/7 20 min walk/3106 steps/1.5 miles - 6276
    10/8 20 min walk/
    10/9 20 min walk/