Low FODMAP is Confusing, Help

Options
Terytha
Terytha Posts: 2,097 Member
After nearly five months of suffering my doctor has determined I have gastritis and almost certainly IBS. So I'm to go on a low FODMAP diet for now.

But it's very confusing. No two websites seem to agree on some foods, and every website is completely vague on how to even figure out what foods have FODMAPs. Can I eat buns or not? Can I have pizza? Coffee? Yogurt? Probably not yogurt, right?

I'm feeling very overwhelmed and depressed and hopeless, and a great deal of stomach pain. So I'm turning to you, the amazingly knowledgeable and beautiful group on MFP. Please tell me you have some advice and tips to make this whole thing less dire.

Replies

• souchie
    souchie Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    If I had gastritis, I would eat Greek type full fat yogurt, nothing full of sweetners, cut the pizza and coffee. Tomato based products, spicy foods and caffeine aggravate gastritis,
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I do not have experience in this and am not a doctor. But I found these two links that go to what I would consider good medical sources. I'm not sure if it will clear it up for you, but at least it's not ransom bloggers who think they're experts!

This is from UVA Health: https://med.virginia.edu/ginutrition/wp-content/uploads/sites/199/2018/05/Low_FODMAP_Diet_12.16.pdf

And this is from the American Gastro Assoc: https://www.gastro.org/practice-guidance/gi-patient-center/topic/low-fodmap-diet
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    Terytha wrote: »
    After nearly five months of suffering my doctor has determined I have gastritis and almost certainly IBS. So I'm to go on a low FODMAP diet for now.

But it's very confusing. No two websites seem to agree on some foods, and every website is completely vague on how to even figure out what foods have FODMAPs. Can I eat buns or not? Can I have pizza? Coffee? Yogurt? Probably not yogurt, right?

I'm feeling very overwhelmed and depressed and hopeless, and a great deal of stomach pain. So I'm turning to you, the amazingly knowledgeable and beautiful group on MFP. Please tell me you have some advice and tips to make this whole thing less dire.

Jeez, I just left another thread where someone's doctor told her to learn about a different WOE by googling it. What is wrong with doctors?

Did they give you nothing? No handouts? No referrals to websites?

You may get the information you need here but I think you should still follow up with your doctor and ask for resources and perhaps a referral to a dietitian.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Jeez, I just left another thread where someone's doctor told her to learn about a different WOE by googling it. What is wrong with doctors?

You may get the information you need here but I think you should still follow up with your doctor and ask for resources and perhaps a referral to a dietitian.
    Agree with seeing a dietician. Low FODMAP can be very effective but is one of the more difficult special diets to follow.

• Terytha
    Terytha Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options

He gave me a printout with a list of about ten foods that he himself googled while I was sitting there. Dietitian are apparently really hard to get appointments with. I've tried before. :/

I feel like I'm on my own.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,944 Member
    Options

He gave me a printout with a list of about ten foods that he himself googled while I was sitting there. Dietitian are apparently really hard to get appointments with. I've tried before. :/

Then I would go to sites that are vetted medical info sites...like that Gastro one Kimny linked above.

Alternately you could ask for a referral to a Gastroenterologist, who would definitely know more than your GP.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options

I don't know where you live and I have only seen an RD twice but both times were within 2 weeks of scheduling.

I suppose you may have to pick one version and see if it improves your situation. I wish I could help.

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,944 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Also that link to the Gastro site is a little misleading at the bottom - it says, " Refer to the Getting Started section, " and that is actually found in the, "Starting" tab at the top. Just a little typo:

https://www.gastro.org/practice-guidance/gi-patient-center/topic/low-fodmap-diet

There's a whole list of foods and further info.
  • MaintainInTheMembrane
    Options
    I agree. You need the app.
  • Redordeadhead
    Redordeadhead Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    I can recommend this and the associated app: https://www.monashfodmap.com/about-fodmap-and-ibs/high-and-low-fodmap-foods/

These are the guys who created the diet. Wheat based products/gluten and a lot of dairy products should be avoided in the elimination phase, so no regular pizza yoghurt and probably no buns. Coffee may be ok but for many people it is aggravating so you'll have to see how you handle it (for me, it's actually ok).

If you can get support from a dietitian, it would really help you to find new meals and work through the elimination and reintroduction.
  • duckieee
    duckieee Posts: 7 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Yes! Get the Monash app if you can swing it - it’s $9.99 in the App Store or something like that. Honestly, don’t go based off what your doctor has handed you. I know that sounds like bad advice, but when we are speaking from a Low Fodmap standpoint A. Doctors don’t know much about it. And B. That paper is probably out of date. Monash is a research university in Australia that pioneers the Low Fodmap diet and the money for the app goes directly to the research of approved foods.

I also highly suggest you join a few Facebook groups geared towards IBS and the Low Fodmap diet - USA Low Fodmap Products and Low Fodmap Recipes & Support. Both of these groups have active registered dietitians that are frequent in their postings in the groups and offer advice as to what is safe and what is not safe.

Http://www.alittlebityummy.com is another great resource as your start figuring out the Low Fodmap life and how to navigate the diet successfully. If you have any questions, feel free to reach out! I’ve been Low Fodmap for three years and have had success with it and my IBS!
  • duckieee
    duckieee Posts: 7 Member
    Options

You are not on your own! This is more common than you think! Please reach out if you need support!

Fodmaps are carbohydrates that people with IBS have reactions to. The reason you see conflicting evidence as to what foods are safe and what isn’t is because it depends on the person. For me I struggle with fructans. I’ve had to eliminate garlic, onion, watermelon, wheat, among others. I do alright with apples in moderation, but too much I have a reaction. There are people that struggle with Sorbitol, Fructose, Mannitol, Oligosaccharides, Fructans, and Lactose. The trick is finding what you react to and at what portion size the reaction takes place.

I’d stay away from pizza unless you make it yourself until you know what you shouldn’t eat as it breeds fodmaps. I use calipower pizza crust with a sensitive pasta sauce - prego sensitive or rao’s sensitive formula mixed with a touch of sugar, dairy free cheese, and some safe pepperoni. Annie’s Mac N Cheese that is gluten free and dairy free is safe, the other brands have garlic and onion in them. That being said, you can also get lactose free dairy items as that has the carb removed that we struggle with. For me personally, I’m allergic to whey so I just stay away from it all. Lactose free yogurt is totally up your alley though.

• DanielleInProgresss
    Options
    https://www.monashfodmap.com/

Use the Monash app or website. They are the leaders in the fodmap diet and have the most up to date information.

Just remember...it's not meant to be a permanent diet, but an elimination diet to find the foods that upset your tummy. I went through it and I'm not going to lie.....I hated it. But I did learn a lot from the experience. Also I'm sorry that you have to go through it too. It took me years and 3 different doctors for someone to help me with my ibs-c. It's a very frustrating process. thanks
  • geltner1
    geltner1 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    The Monash University app that helps you figure out the FODMAP diet plan is free. I'm not sure what the $9.99 app is all about.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    ...Just remember...it's not meant to be a permanent diet, but an elimination diet to find the foods that upset your tummy...

I was diagnosed with IBS. The doctor said we put you down as IBS when we don't really know what's wrong or what's causing it. It's a catch-all diagnosis. He told me I could either take medications to cover up the symptoms, or I could try things until I "hopefully" found something that worked. After years of suffering, one doctor finally gave me the best advice - trying an elimination diet.

The things that most bothered me during my elimination diet turned out to be wheat/gluten and milk. After a couple months of healing, I was able to have milk again with no problems. I have been permanently gluten free for several years now and my life has changed completely. I went from being nauseated, bloated and anxious 24/7, living in the bathroom isolated from normal life, with intermittent puking out both ends (TMI), to living a normal life with ZERO gastrointestinal problems!!!

Never going back! No one food type is worth the misery. Hope you figure out your trigger foods and get your health back ASAP! B)
  • Gearjammer71
    Gearjammer71 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    https://www.monashfodmap.com/

Use the Monash app or website. They are the leaders in the fodmap diet and have the most up to date information.

Just remember...it's not meant to be a permanent diet, but an elimination diet to find the foods that upset your tummy.

Do you think it could it be a permanent diet if you absolutely had to?

My appendix ruptured last year and I lost half my colon and a big part of my small intestine (ileum). It's been suggested that I try a low FODMAP diet before resorting to a risky intestinal transplant, but the "plan" they gave me is confusing and I am not sure how well it's going to go with type 2 diabetes.

Thank you for the link, the info seems much better than what I was given locally.