Heart rate question

Options
Yesterday my husband and I rode my farthest yet - 39.81 miles. I did well, we took it slow and stopped 2/3 of the way for an extended break. The route was fairly flat, just some gradual inclines, unlike last week which had some more strenuous hills. We ride on a dedicated bike path, only on surface streets for roughly 2-3 miles from our house. My problem came when we were on the last 3 miles home. We have to cross a somewhat busy street, with no light. When I stopped to let the traffic clear, I suddenly got very light-headed and dizzy. It cleared after a minute or two but happened again when we got home. That time my heart rate dropped from 140-105 in less than a minute and I felt like I was going to pass out, so much so that I had to lay down before it stabilized.

Does anybody have any suggestions to avoid this in the future? What did I do, if anything, wrong? I think I was fairly well hydrated - I had roughly 56 ounces of water, plus an iced coffee when we stopped, and I also had a peanut protein bar when we stopped. When I got home, yes, I downed at least 64 more ounces water. I have a message into my cardiologist but figured I'd ask here as well.

Next ride won't be for two weeks unless I can sneak a shorter one in mid-week since I'm having a medical procedure Friday and won't be allowed to do anything from Friday until Tuesday.

Replies

• robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    Depending on your speed, a 40 mile ride probably burns more calories than you might think. Certainly more than the iced coffee and protein bar gave you most likely. If this ride was pushing new distances, I would guess that you were probably just a bit glycogen depleted and feeling the impacts of that.

I have found that depending on weather and speed, I can easily not drink enough fluids. The breeze made from the motion convinces me I'm not too hot, and I don't drink as much because I really don't notice how much I am sweating until I stop.

Smart to check with your cardiologist on the issue in any case.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,989 Member
    Options
    Do you have a heart issue?
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 2,004 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Sounds like a sugar issue. I had this happen to me the other day when riding my spin bike at home. Started off fine and 15 minutes in, my blood glucose almost bottomed. I was seeing stars. Ate a couple pieces of candy, and was able to finish my cardio when the sugar high hit. other than almost binging after it, I felt fine the rest of the day. That being said, checking with DR is always a good thing.
  • staticsplit
    staticsplit Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Get you some energy gels! But seconding double-checking with a doctor just in case.
  • AZTeri2016
    AZTeri2016 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »

Yes. I was diagnosed with heart disease about 16 years ago, along with high bp. Had to have 2 angiograms, but no stents, just balloon angioplasty. The bp is controlled, and the last time I had a stress test the doctor said I had totally reversed the heart disease. Helps that I’ve lost 52 pounds and am working out much, much more. I’m off one bp med (which is the one that the FDA recalled because of cancer issues!), and he actually said at my last visit that I might be able to go off the heart meds. I’d love to go off that and the statins, but I suspect my heart and cholesterol issues are both hereditary. I had cholesterol issues when I was much lighter than now. My mother had heart disease and my father had triple bypass 3 years ago, so ???

And I think the other posters are right - I’m not refueling correctly. I guess I need to take the gels even when I don’t feel like I need them, right?
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    AZTeri2016 wrote: »

Yes. I was diagnosed with heart disease about 16 years ago, along with high bp. Had to have 2 angiograms, but no stents, just balloon angioplasty. The bp is controlled, and the last time I had a stress test the doctor said I had totally reversed the heart disease. Helps that I’ve lost 52 pounds and am working out much, much more. I’m off one bp med (which is the one that the FDA recalled because of cancer issues!), and he actually said at my last visit that I might be able to go off the heart meds. I’d love to go off that and the statins, but I suspect my heart and cholesterol issues are both hereditary. I had cholesterol issues when I was much lighter than now. My mother had heart disease and my father had triple bypass 3 years ago, so ???

And I think the other posters are right - I’m not refueling correctly. I guess I need to take the gels even when I don’t feel like I need them, right?

Doesn't have to be gels - any carbs will do.
    Sports drink, fruit, cake, cookies, candy, bowl of cereal before you set out (it's hard to balance the cereal bowl on the handlebars.... ;) ).

But yes you don't wait until you run out of energy, little and often is easier to digest while riding.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Everyone is focusing on low blood sugar, but your symptoms can also be experienced during short runs of a random arrhythmia.

Heart rate monitors detect pulses in the arteries. Sometimes if you experience certain types of tachycardia, insufficient blood is pumped to register as a “pulse” to a HRM. That could explain the drop in HR you noticed (it could also be just poor contact).

It’s not necessarily anything serious—just one other thing to consider.
  • Anabirgite
    Anabirgite Posts: 505 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    I find when I ride long distances for me (30-40 miles) and even though I ride rather slow my heart is beating over 100 beats per minute the entire time...I am shocked how many calories I burn when I do not even feel I really exerted myself. Making sure you have enough energy for your ride definitely improves the quality of your ride. I do always make sure I have a large breakfast before we ride and have an energy bar with me just in case. I am also guilty though of not drinking water while I ride as I do not want to have a problem needing to go to the bathroom and I have found that this has affected me at times ( probably more times then I want to admit)

Great job on 40 miles!
  • phx92
    phx92 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I have a condition that affects my blood pressure/heart rate, and I find that if I get my heart rate going and then stop suddenly, I get lightheaded. So if I were to run for a mile and then stop at a crosswalk I would feel very faint. I don’t know if it’s the same thing but I find that keeping myself moving helps. So bouncing on the balls of my feet, flexing my leg muscles, gripping my hands into fists etc.

I hope everything is clear with your doc, it sounds from a lot of people that hopefully it’s just needing to keep your blood sugar up
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    AZTeri2016 wrote: »

1. Kudos on reversing the heart disease and weight loss. Heart disease runs in my family too (dad had bypass surgery in his 50s) I'm hoping to have beaten the family curse.

2. The trick with fueling any kind of endurance activity id to take it on before you feel the need as it takes a little time for the energy to become available and it needn't be gels (I make my own "gel" that's 3 parts honey, one part molasses with a tiny bit of water to thin it just a little - a fraction of the cost of commercial gels) another option that is popular with long distance cyclists, triathletes etc is to take in calories in liquid form (fewer digestive problems if you're exerting yourself) I've been using Gu Roctane for a while - you get about 250 cal from 2 scoops in a water bottle. Of course, back in the day when there were no gels etc nothing beat a good old fashioned PB&J sandwich stuffed into one of your jersey pockets!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    You described drinking a lot of water, during, and after. Just plain water?

Did you sweat that much?

And if so - was your water actually a sport's drink with electrolytes?
  • AZTeri2016
    AZTeri2016 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    You described drinking a lot of water, during, and after. Just plain water?

Did you sweat that much?

And if so - was your water actually a sport's drink with electrolytes?

Yea, I sweat quite a bit :). And yes plain water. Usually I put Smart water in my bottles, but didn’t this time. And in the past we’ve put Gatorade in our bottles, but didn’t have any. I spoke with a friend who is a cardiac nurse practictioner; she suggested I should probably plan on eating something high carb every hour of my rides to prevent it from happening again. So next week when we ride again, I’ll have water with electrolytes and something to snack on! It’s starting to cool down, so things won’t melt in my bag now. I’m in Tucson, and yes, we do tend to get out early to ride, but even still it’s pushing 90 when we finish.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I was thinking of low electrolyte balance due to excessive water - hyponatremia. Similar possible symptoms.

https://www.healthline.com/health/hyponatremia

You do need the water, but also what is being sweat out, so the fresh water isn't just throwing the balance way out.

Normally people can get up to 90 min, with training 120 min endurance cardio - without extra carbs being required during the workout.

But once you start going over that, you need to start eating at about 45 min so it's absorbed and ready to go later. Lag time. Sometimes big time.

If going really slow you likely aren't really using that many carbs so can go longer on the fat being used.
    If going really intense you likely won't be able to stomach the food and absorb it fast enough to make a difference, if at all.

But if that between intensity- you can. Don't make it taking in something just every hour though, too much in stomach at one time.
    Under exercise load not much blood going there anyway to help get the nutrients out - and stuff just sitting there can strike back badly.
    So slow and steady is usually needed to get the most out of what you take in.
    Hence the sports gels, or candy, or gummies, or drinks, or whatever you find.
    Most will tell you the rate needed, and the water needed to go with it. Hence sports drinks being easily somewhat.
    Test it out - they usually have some electrolytes in them too - but perhaps not enough if really sweating it up.
  • HilTri
    HilTri Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Sometimes that happens to me if I just stop peddling instead of slowing down to cool down before I completely stop.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I agree water, electrolytes, and/or fueling. Likely a combination of these and potentially your heart condition too. You can add electrolyte/nutrition/hydration powders to your water. It takes some trial & error to figure out your bike nutrition/hydration. It will vary based on the weather. I don’t yet have mine figured out completely but I keep working on it.