Help please

Should you eat/drink all your calories or have a deficit? New to all this!

Replies

• CakeyPops234
    CakeyPops234 Posts: 33 Member
    Apologies if this is in the wrong place to ask too! Each time I click something I'm finding new things! 😂 Thanks in advance for any help
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Have you set up your profile and stats on the app? if so MyFitnessPal (MFP) will tell you the calories you should eat to lose. That means it has worked out the deficit needed for you to lose xlbs/week.
    Log your food accurately and consistently and you will lose.

Wishing you all the best.

ps I'm sure someone will post the helpful links/stickies to getting started, they're worth a read :smile:
  • CakeyPops234
    Thank you. Will take a look later as can't see it well on my phone. I'm guessing I should eat more then as I had over 1,000 calorie deficit yesterday!
  • CakeyPops234
    Have you set up your profile and stats on the app? if so MyFitnessPal (MFP) will tell you the calories you should eat to lose. That means it has worked out the deficit needed for you to lose xlbs/week.
    Log your food accurately and consistently and you will lose.

Wishing you all the best.

ps I'm sure someone will post the helpful links/stickies to getting started, they're worth a read :smile:

Thank you. Yes I set it up to lose weight. I'm going to have to eat more as had over a thousand calorie deficit yesterday! Or will I just lose more weight?
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    edited October 2019
    Yes you need to eat more, your goal is to eat near to the number MFP gives you, if you workout then you get to eat back those calories too - the calorie deficit is built in. You will still lose.
  • CakeyPops234
    Yes you need to eat more, your goal is to eat near to the number MFP gives you, if you workout then you get to eat back those calories too - the calorie deficit is built in. You will still lose.

Thank you. I can see now I struggle to lose weight cos I don't eat enough! Will change that now. Thank you
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    edited October 2019
    mummymooky wrote: »

Thank you. I can see now I struggle to lose weight cos I don't eat enough! Will change that now. Thank you

IF you aren't losing weight that usually means you are eating more than you think. To change that means the need to be accurate, use a food scale, accurate logging and eating at calorie deficit means weight loss. If we take in less than we burn we lose.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    Apologies because I don't think I'm being clear enough.
    If you are having 1000 calorie deficits you would be losing weight. How long have you been trying to lose weight and do you have much to lose?
    If you say you are in huge deficit and aren't losing weight then its more a logging issue and you are eating more than you think.
  • CakeyPops234
    Apologies because I don't think I'm being clear enough.
    If you are having 1000 calorie deficits you would be losing weight. How long have you been trying to lose weight and do you have much to lose?
    If you say you are in huge deficit and aren't losing weight then its more a logging issue and you are eating more than you think.

What I ate yesterday was a typical ww day of weighing and measuring and ended up with a 1000+ deficit. I have 4-8st to lose! Everything that passed my lips was logged
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    Is that 1000 calorie deficit on top of the MFP number to lose? (because that also has a deficit built in)
    and how are you burning the 1000 calories? there are so many factors, machines that calculate calorie burns can be grossly over estimated.
    Too much deficit is ok temporarily but it can lead to fatigue and other issues. There is a helpful forum post about how eating too little is a bad thing, I will see if I can get it and post it here, its very helpful.
    At the end of the day if you are in calorie deficit over time weight loss happens, when you have more to lose several pounds will come off quickly but after the initial water weight loss it should settle to no more than 2lbs a week for a healthy loss.
  • CakeyPops234
    Is that 1000 calorie deficit on top of the MFP number to lose? (because that also has a deficit built in)
    and how are you burning the 1000 calories? there are so many factors, machines that calculate calorie burns can be grossly over estimated.
    Too much deficit is ok temporarily but it can lead to fatigue and other issues. There is a helpful forum post about how eating too little is a bad thing, I will see if I can get it and post it here, its very helpful.
    At the end of the day if you are in calorie deficit over time weight loss happens, when you have more to lose several pounds will come off quickly but after the initial water weight loss it should settle to no more than 2lbs a week for a healthy loss.

Yes the deficit was on top of the deficit already built in. I do suffer with fatigue so that would make sense. It's only my second day so I'll keep tracking and look at the deficit at the end of the week when it'll probably make more sense. The exercise has come from my fitbit so should be accurate. I'd be happy with a lb a week off at then moment instead of 3off, 1off, maintain, gain 3 etc etc 🙈
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    That makes sense, it takes a while to make/see progress. Wishing you the very best.

Ruth
  • CakeyPops234
    That makes sense, it takes a while to make/see progress. Wishing you the very best.

Ruth

Thanks for helping
  • JBanx256
    JBanx256 Posts: 1,470 Member
    mummymooky wrote: »
    I can see now I struggle to lose weight cos I don't eat enough! Will change that now. Thank you

A calorie deficit will result in weight loss; a BIGGER calorie deficit does not result in weight gain. That's just not how it works.