Myth? Muscle gain causing lack of weight loss.

Options
Obviously there are differing opinions on just about every subject, but from most articles I have read, and from my own experience working out, it takes a long time and a lot of intense weight training to gain a pound of muscle.
I see a lot of people on MFP attributing their lack of weight loss to the possibility that they've gained muscle, using the argument that muscle weighs more than fat (I'm not arguing that point though. I agree that muscle weighs more than fat).

In my opinion, if you're not losing weight, it's because you're not doing something right. Either eating too much or not eating enough and/or not exercising. Yes you can gain muscle mass by working out, obviously... but unless you're in an intense body building program, are you really going to see big numbers in weight gain from muscle in short periods of time? I've been working out 5 days a week for a long time and I'm still losing weight and inches. Yes I've gained muscle but it's been over a long period of time and with a lot of training.

What's your opinion on the subject. I'm curious what others have read or heard.

Replies

• sparkle04
    sparkle04 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I think when you first start working out on a regular basis you can retain water. I've read this several places, but don't remember the why behind it. I've found this to be true for me- the scale always jumps when I first start an exercise routine.
  • SarahRazaq
    Options
    My personal trainer never ONCE told me that I was "gaining muscle" when the scale wasnt moving. Usually when the scale isnt moving and you are following your program, its usally WATER RETENTION, not because "you arent doing something right"..
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I know it might not be what people want to hear, but I completely agree. Muscle takes a long time to build, and most people don't build lots of muscle weight. I think 'Well... maybe you're gaining muscle!' is just a nice thing to say to cheer people along when they hit a weight loss plateau. And maybe in many cases, hearing that might be just enough to keep them on track - which is a good thing (even if it's not completely true!)
  • MarieNevada
    MarieNevada Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    muscle does not weigh more than fat. a pound is a pound is a pound. muscle is more dense than fat so a certain volume of muscle will weigh more than the same volume of fat.

However i agree with you about the weight gain not being muscle gain. It's impossible to pack on significant amount of muscle without a calorie surplus. Since if you're on a diet, you're in a calorie deficit, you can tone the muscles you have, and gain a small amount but certainly not the kind of volume you'd need to see to account for a weight increase. If people aren't losing weight, or gaining it, i think the first place they need to look is their food intake, and then their exercise habits. I didnt lose as much as i thought i should have in july and i adjusted my menu and increased my exercise and lo and behold, august weight loss has been much better. I weight train three times a week and I lift heavy. I have maintained my lean body mass and increased it a bit, but i'm certainly not seeing any significant gains from muscle mass. I'm just not eating enough to pack on the muscles.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I think it is either:
    -Water retention (due to a number of reasons)
    -Eating more than you think (not measuring or weighing food, just estimating)
    - burning less calories than you think you are (using the machine or MFP to estimate caloric burn, best to use HRM and back out maintenance calories for the duration of the exercise) or
    - could be a thyroid issue.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    muscle does not weigh more than fat. a pound is a pound is a pound. muscle is more dense than fat so a certain volume of muscle will weigh more than the same volume of fat.

However i agree with you about the weight gain not being muscle gain. It's impossible to pack on significant amount of muscle without a calorie surplus. Since if you're on a diet, you're in a calorie deficit, you can tone the muscles you have, and gain a small amount but certainly not the kind of volume you'd need to see to account for a weight increase. If people aren't losing weight, or gaining it, i think the first place they need to look is their food intake, and then their exercise habits. I didnt lose as much as i thought i should have in july and i adjusted my menu and increased my exercise and lo and behold, august weight loss has been much better. I weight train three times a week and I lift heavy. I have maintained my lean body mass and increased it a bit, but i'm certainly not seeing any significant gains from muscle mass. I'm just not eating enough to pack on the muscles.

Agree with your points here!
  • MarieNevada
    MarieNevada Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    My personal trainer never ONCE told me that I was "gaining muscle" when the scale wasnt moving. Usually when the scale isnt moving and you are following your program, its usally WATER RETENTION, not because "you arent doing something right"..

But even with water retention there is some weight loss. The day after one of my weight days i always gain some weight and i know it's water retention, but by the end of the week, i will be down a pound or so, water retention only lasts so long.
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    You're going to hear a LOTTTTTTT of speculation on this from people who don't know *kitten*...myself included: From what I have HEARD and READ, you'd have to do some pretty serious weight-training (like, Olympic-level) to see enough of a muscle gain that it would cancel out any fat loss.
  • erickirb
    Options

Yes muscle weighs more than fat, no one said a pound of x weighs more than a pound of X. When the statement is made that muscle weighs more than fat it is implied that they are talking about equal volumes, so it does not need to be stated.
    Because muscle is more dense it naturally weighs more.

Using your logic then, would you say that butter and carrots have the same caloric content because 100 cals of butter has the same amount of calories as 100 cals of butter? As that would be the same as you are doing with weight of fat and muscle.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    from what i've read a woman can only gain 2.5# of muscule/month
  • grouch201
    grouch201 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I always laugh on the inside when people say that muscle weighs more than fat. True, muscle is more dense and takes up less space, but it seems like I always see the lement "OMG, I *gained* three pounds, what am I doing wrong." and the "you've gained muscle," response. Nope, muscle takes time and a good amount of training to build.

Weight gain is more likely attributed to water retention (I know I always weigh more when I start targeting a group of muscles I haven't used for a while and attribute it to water for muscle repair). Sodium levels in your food, and how long it's been since you've had a good bowel movement can also lead to weight gain.

If you're not losing weight, change what you're doing. Eat more, eat less, exercise during a different time of the day. I know that I've found that I have to be particular about how much sodium I'm eating and that I tend to reflect more success on the scale when I work out in the morning.

I've been on a plateau for a while as far as the scale, but I don't worry about it because I put more stock in what the measuring tape says than the scale. As long as I'm losing the pudge, the scale can go out the window!
  • erickirb
    Options

And even this would be with a serious heavy weight training program on a huge caloric surplus diet. I doubt many women or even men could achieve those gains easily.
  • kiawya
    kiawya Posts: 73
    Options
    Well, I dont think its water weight, usually, and for me, that was the first thing to go. Very fast loss, right in the beginning.
    I did not loose weight for almost 6 weeks after the first 2, yet I lost inches and you could see my arms and legs toning up.
    So how could my body change without weight loss?
    It had to be muscle, I was measuring, doing everything correct, but I was doing strength training 3 days a week, and cardio 3 days a week.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    Options

And even this would be with a serious heavy weight training program on a huge caloric surplus diet. I doubt many women or even men could achieve those gains easily.

yeah, it's the maximum that I've read, and highly unlikely. It would require serious lifting and the perfect muscle building diet.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    Muscle does weigh a little more than fat but not too much like you gained 5-6 pounds in short period of time. If you do gain that much, its most likely due to taking too much sodium that results in water retention or worse, fat gain. Because its very easy to gain fat than to lose it considering that food is readily available & with all the fast foods around the corner its not impossible to gain a pound in just 2 days if you're not careful. I've been working out which includes strength training & cardio for a year & I only started to notice my muscles after 7 months of exercising.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    I would disagree with what you read. Even males on steroids would jump for joy and do a most muscular if they could gain that much in a month.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    Muscle does weigh a little more than fat but not too much like you gained 5-6 pounds in short period of time. If you do gain that much, its most likely due to taking too much sodium that results in water retention or worse, fat gain. Because its very easy to gain fat than to lose it considering that food is readily available & with all the fast foods around the corner its not impossible to gain a pound in just 2 days if you're not careful. I've been working out which includes strength training & cardio for a year & I only started to notice my muscles after 7 months of exercising.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Well, I dont think its water weight, usually, and for me, that was the first thing to go. Very fast loss, right in the beginning.
    I did not loose weight for almost 6 weeks after the first 2, yet I lost inches and you could see my arms and legs toning up.
    So how could my body change without weight loss?
    It had to be muscle, I was measuring, doing everything correct, but I was doing strength training 3 days a week, and cardio 3 days a week.

you will have lost fat, so you can see the muscle underneath.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    Options
    I would disagree with what you read. Even males on steroids would jump for joy and do a most muscular if they could gain that much in a month.

Again., this is a maximum from what I've read. I'm okay if you disagree with it, you can take that argument up with Lou Schuler as it's his number.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I think when you first start working out on a regular basis you can retain water. I've read this several places, but don't remember the why behind it. I've found this to be true for me- the scale always jumps when I first start an exercise routine.

The why is - muscles retain water as part of the healing process. Also, sometimes the body reacts to sudden change in activity like it does with sudden drop in calorie intake - the body thinks it needs to protect itself and will store nutrients and water at first. Once the activies become routine, the body will release these stores. It usually only takes a week or two at most in my experience for the "routine" reaction to kick in.