What do you cook/eat when you are exhausted?

Hi everyone,
My mom has Hashimoto disease, Ebstein Barr Virus, and Cushing disease, so needless to say, she struggles with energy. When she is hungry, she grabs what she can find, which is not always enough nutrition for her. For her birthday, I want to put together something for her with recipes that require very little effort or energy to make, but something she could do when she's hungry and low on energy.
So here's my question to you all... what do you cook/make when you're tired and feeling low? What kind of snacks or meals are your go-to? Do you have recipes that don't require you to stand for long?
If you could share the recipe on here or a link to it, that would be wonderful.
Thank you so much for your help!
-Kat

Replies

• ponycyndi
    ponycyndi Posts: 858 Member
    I would suggest an instant pot. They make sizes from 3 quarts and up depending on your family size.

I use mine for everything from boiled eggs, beans, chicken (whole or cut up) soups, stews, chili, veggies.

My favorite part is the ease and speed. There is no watching or pots boiling over.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,966 Member
    Hi everyone,
    My mom has Hashimoto disease, Ebstein Barr Virus, and Cushing disease, so needless to say, she struggles with energy. When she is hungry, she grabs what she can find, which is not always enough nutrition for her. For her birthday, I want to put together something for her with recipes that require very little effort or energy to make, but something she could do when she's hungry and low on energy.
    So here's my question to you all... what do you cook/make when you're tired and feeling low? What kind of snacks or meals are your go-to? Do you have recipes that don't require you to stand for long?
    If you could share the recipe on here or a link to it, that would be wonderful.
    Thank you so much for your help!
    -Kat

I'm not in your mom's shoes - I'm older (63) and hypothyroid, but properly treated for the hypo - but I batch make simple things ahead for busy or low days. I always have cooked beans/legumes in the freezer for quick soups or tacos/wraps, frozen veggies for pasta meals, mini frittatas that are zap and eat. Sometimes i pre-prep slow-cook grains like rice or quinoa and freeze, too. In the past, I've made big pans of stuff like lasagna or enchiladas, and portioned them out to individual servings in tempered glass dishes with snap-on plastic lids to freeze for future meals.

If your mom has better and worse energy moments, maybe something like this could work for her.

You're being a really thoughtful child here: Hugs to both of you!
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,534 Member
    Freezing Instant Pot or slow cooker meals is a great idea. With the Instant Pot, one of my favorite recipes is Well Plated sweet potato turkey chili, I think she lists a stovetop version and if you do it in the IP just cook sweet potatoes separate as they get mushy pressure cooked. Beans and lentils are great in the IP too.

I have chronic pain and if it's a particularly bad day I'll just have oatmeal or make a pack of Madras Lentils from Costco and pour over a sweet potato if I have an appetite. Soups like split pea or lentil would be great too.
  • I'm a bachelor who works 12 hour days, plus drive time, plus training, plus life...I have minimal time to cook. In fact, it's been a good while since I even used my stove. I feel I am qualified to answer this.

My day pretty much looks like this:
    Breakfast: Restaurant breakfast burritos I buy in bulk 2x a week
    Lunch: pre cooked deli shredded chicken, minute rice, microwave steamed broccoli (prepped Sundays and wednesdays), also a shake made with raw egg whites, carb powder, and coconut oil.
    Pre-workout snacks: Beef stick, protien bar, Gatorade. Maybe a piece of fruit.
    Dinner: Cold, pre-smoked salmon (just open the package), or protien pizza with a chicken crust (microwaveable), Minute rice for the carbs, maybe some raw veggies or fruit. Occasionally I have time to grill a steak or chicken, but not always.
    Pre-bed feeding: protein cookie, almond milk, cheese, almonds, cold turkey, Greek yogurt, beef stick.

It's not the best and your mum obviously would need less protein but when i started working 12s 5 days a week i had to redesign my diet plan to eat without cooking...maybe some of these would help. A typical day of like I outlined above is about 3500 cals.

It's pretty much the same day in, day out.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,129 Member
    I often use my slow cooker on a Sunday and freeze a couple of portions for days when I feel lazy and keep some steam veg/rice around as an easy side.

Some of my go to recipes would include:
    • Chunky Beef Chilli (throw it all in - pack of stewing beef, chopped onion, tin of chopped tomatoes, tin of kidney beans and any leftover veg I have in the fridge) with a little fresh chilli and a teaspoon of cocoa powder. I usually double this up so I have meals for the week and meals for the freezer for "emergencies"
    • Thai Green Curry (2-3 Chicken Breasts chopped up, Thai Green Curry Paste, whatever veg I have around usually some green beans, baby corn and shredded cabbage with a tin of coconut milk)
    • Chicken Curry (2-3 Chicken Breasts Chopped up, Chopped Onion, Tin chopped Tomatoes, 2 Tsp Garam Masala, 1 Tsp Ground Coriander, other spices to taste and whatever veg I have around and last hour add Tin of Coconut Milk
    • Roast Chicken (Chopped Potatoes on bottom of crockpot, Whole Chicken resting on top and some chopped carrots dropped around the sides.)
    • Lamb Stew -(Diced Lamb, Chopped Potatoes, 1 Pint Vegetable Stock, Chopped Onion, Chopped Stew Veg, Rosemary and a slosh of red wine).

All of these can be done on high setting in around 4-5 hours or can be left on low setting (better tasting IMO) for 7-8 hours. I also use a wifi plug so that if I want to prep the day before I can pop the ceramic crockpot in the fridge overnight and then put it into the slow cooker in the morning and schedule it to cook in time for me to get home so I have something hot to eat the day of preparing it.

You can also do these on the hob in a pan for a couple of hours, but IMO it's easier with a slow cooker, particularly if your mum is easily exhausted.

Another options would be sheet bakes - Throw some marinated Chicken Legs/Steaks (Fattier cuts of meat) into the oven with various veg/potatoes with some foil over on around 150c for around 25 mins, then take the foil off and roast for a further 20 mins. I'll often make marinades of Lemon & Honey or Thai Spices & Peanut Butter. They make for tasty meals that can be refrigerated or frozen to keep for longer.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,590 Member
    Here are 4 pasta sauces that can be made in the 10 minutes while the spaghetti is boiling. She'll need to add a vegetable side (tomato or cucumber salad with ready made dressing is super easy) to make a balanced meal. These are all made from pantry ingredients so good for days when the fridge is bare too.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2017/aug/20/the-only-4-spaghetti-recipes-you-will-ever-need-giorgio-locatelli
  • Omelette and salad
    Jacket potato and cheese
    Mushrooms on toast
    Chicken breast pre cooked frozen peas and couscous
    Pasta pesto and salad

Ready bought stir fry with pre cooked frozen prawns
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    My mother is an older widow and not in good health. I live 5 hours away, so I feel like I can't help her out very much, so when I make things that freeze well and are easy for her to eat, I portion them into single servings and freeze them. When I go to visit, I arrive with a cooler full of healthy, nutritious meals for her freezer that she just needs to heat and eat. She appreciates this immensely. She can only eat semi-solid food, so usually I make her soups, stews and sauces. I also make her pot pie filling that she eats with biscuits, turkey meatloaf and mashed potatoes, chicken and rice skillet and things like that.

But to answer your original question of what I eat when I am tired and want something quick, usually an omelet with whatever cheese, leftover meat and veggies I have on hand. I get pretty creative with omelets and cleaning out my refrigerator.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    edited October 2019
    I made these honey chipotle chicken tacos in the crock pot the other day and they were delicious. You can make a large batch of the seasoning mix so that she only has to add a scoop of mix, some honey and chicken to the crock pot and let it go. You can substitute paprika for the chipotle if you don't want the spice and I always use half thighs and half breasts because the thighs have more flavor. It makes a large batch of shredded chicken that can easily be frozen. We ate them as tacos for dinner and the next day my husband made a quesadilla with the chicken for lunch and I had mine like a burrito bowl with beans and instant rice. The next day I made nachos with the rest of the meat and took them to a party and they were devoured. Very versatile and easy recipe.

http://withsaltandwit.com/slow-cooker-honey-chipotle-chicken-tacos/
  • EmBeatie
    EmBeatie Posts: 33 Member
    Omelettes or noodles take literally 2 minutes. Throw some frozen broccoli in there and add a peanut butter sauce with fruit for dessert, a healthy meal. So many stews, casseroles, soups and pasta bakes can be refrigerated and eaten throughout the week (pasta's healthier reheated). I assume you don't live close by?
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,970 Member
    Not sure what your mum's restrictions all include, so a lot of these may not work, but here goes:

Quick and dirty: poach some frozen, peeled, tail-off shrimp in lemon/pepper seasoned water, and a frozen veggie (I like mine pan fried in a little light oil). Almost as quick as going through the drive thru!

I also try to make a little extra and freeze some meals (there are a few tupperware-type containers that are great for that). Then, it's simply grab it out of the freezer, pop it onto a plate, and toss in the microwave. FASTER than going through the drive-thru.

I like to keep some "snack" foods around the house too that require no prep - a few pieces of fresh fruit; some pre-chunked, cooked meat; nuts; cheeses; olives; carrot sticks; boiled eggs; hummus....you can even pre-pack these into divided containers so it's just grab a container and sit down and munch away.

Some of the pre-packed salads aren't bad either, one or two of those in the fridge are super easy to grab.

I'm lazy :D