HELP Office Party Coming Up! What would you do?

Options
So I'm back on the calorie counting wagon after a very long absence (my how wonderful the technology has come).

So there's an office party coming up where there will obviously lots of food and drinks. I have no intention of being "that guy" either refusing food or not drinking (plus I enjoy beer).

I plan on tracking calories as I go even if I need to be sneaky about it and pretend like I'm checking Facebook or something. What are some of your strategies for surviving parties?

My game plan so far:
  • Early morning workout
  • Turn the party into my "big meal"
  • Minimize alcohol intake (pretend to be drunk if I have to, don't make the best decisions when drunk lol)
  • Track all the things!
  • Maybe late night cardio if all of the above fails

Replies

• richstyles
    richstyles Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    MikePTY wrote: »
    I don't really worry about tracking at these things. One day is not enough to throw you off track. But that doesn't mean that you can't make good decisions.

Minizing alcohol intake is a good idea. No reason you can't nurse a couple of beers all night. There's no need to pretend to be drunk.

Also eating slowly is a good idea. Try to space it out so your body has time to feel full. Then you won't feel the need to eat as much.

Also, I'm not sure if this is the type of party with a dance floor or not, but if it is, dancing can definitely help burn off some of the calories. If not, just staying active by standing and moving around a lot will help.

I wouldn't over think it so much though that it would get in the way of the enjoyment of it.

Awesome tips! Just what I needed to put it in perspective :)
  • neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    If I would know that all that food which I shouldn't eat will be around in heaps, I would get myself one of those hospital signs "NIL BY MOUTH - OPERATION IMMINENT". I would answer any questions most mournfully with: DON'T ASK! I think they are going to take out my....(your choice: belly, brain, stomach, big toenail, guts etc.) You will be guaranteed the centre of attractions - of some sorts!
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    I bank calories for things like that. Shave 100-150 off each day leading up to it so I have more to "spend" when I get there.

If it is too late for that hit the crudités platter or vegetable courses first so you dampen your hunger. Be really picky and only eat things you believe are worth the calories. If you have alcohol drink plenty of water too.

I believe as long as I have a plan with some rules in it there is no reason why I can't enjoy myself on occasion. I want some rules because I understand that I gained weight because there were none and I do not want to return to that. A little discipline doesn't have to interfere with the fun.

I will say that I have no problem being "that guy" either if I do not feel like indulging or I do not like the food I see/taste.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    What I would do.. bank extra calories and do a bit of extra cardio that week, eat super light during the day maybe a protein shake or salad, accept a smaller loss the week after the party.

How you handle it is up to you. We all have to find what works for us for events and social situations.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,473 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    Never let anyone make you feel bad for choosing not to eat or drink anything. Choose to eat or drink what you want at your own pace and only explain your reasoning if you feel like it.

I was just at an office party yesterday. One of my favorite people ever retired. I was offered some of her beautiful custom cake. I declined. The cake was beautiful, and incredibly thoughtful with several inside jokes played out in the icing, but I hate chocolate cake. I'm not a particularly big fan of cake in the first place. Her feelings weren't hurt, because the point of the party was that we were happy for her. We're not 12 and eating cake is not a worthwhile dare anyway.

I don't know if it's my personality or the nature of my friends but I have never felt obliged to make excuses for not eating what they were eating. I think the new culture of allergy awareness helps a lot. I *do* often explain when asked, "Oh, I'm so sorry, do you have an allergy?" "Nah. I just don't like that."

Exactly, don't let peer pressure determine what you eat. Remember if you are in the US statistically 40% of your peers are obese and many more are overweight. Is that where you want to get food consumption advice from?

Now, if you choose to eat/drink a bit more than a typical day at the party there are several suggestions above to help mitigate.

Have fun and good luck.
  • skinnytacular
    skinnytacular Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I am going to amend my comment from " Remind you are at the party primarily to socialize, not to eat" to, decide beforehand what your primary reason to attend the party is. If indeed your primary reason to attend, say, Thanksgiving dinner at aunt betty's house every year it to get to have a serving of her amazing 7-up salad that has been your favorite since childhood, by all means, make sure you get some 7-up salad. Plan for it! If you're on WW bank "points" for it, etc. Don't deprive yourself if some kind of special food is your actual reason for attend. Just plan and allow for it in a deliberate, careful and mindful way and truly enjoy it
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,473 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    I am going to amend my comment from " Remind you are at the party primarily to socialize, not to eat" to, decide beforehand what your primary reason to attend the party is. If indeed your primary reason to attend, say, Thanksgiving dinner at aunt betty's house every year it to get to have a serving of her amazing 7-up salad that has been your favorite since childhood, by all means, make sure you get some 7-up salad. Plan for it! If you're on WW bank "points" for it, etc. Don't deprive yourself if some kind of special food is your actual reason for attend. Just plan and allow for it in a deliberate, careful and mindful way and truly enjoy it

No offense but if the prime reason I was wanted to attend a family event was for some item of food, I would personally decline, find the recipe and make it myself.

Why put yourself and others through the pain and suffering?
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Budget in advance for a little increased calories.

Fill up on high fiber food or whatever satiates you.

Find low calorie options for drinks. I opt for club soda and lime in situations where I can't drink alcohol.

The main purpose is to socialize and have fun, so do that. Get to know people outside of work and keep your conversations outside of work. People are incredibly interesting when you discover what drives and motivates them.
  • moanton
    moanton Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Lots of great ideas here. Pick the ones that work for you. Ex. I know I would want to eat, so I plan for that but also don't go into it hungry. I agree that one day isn't going blow everything...just don't let it blow everything! ha. Have fun, keep moving, and have a couple of beers, and you will be fine. I started leaving parties a bit earlier and that helps too.
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    This is how I handle parties, events and the holidays:

- I save up or bank some calories during the week for that meal.

- I try to find out what's on the menu ahead of time if possible or scope out the food when I get there and try to create a plan of attack in my head.

- I don't mindlessly snack when socializing. I tend to wait for the meal. Those extra calories can add up fast without you realizing it!

- Earlier that day I'll eat light (protein smoothies, veggies, fruit etc.)

- I don't drink calories so there's a lot of savings there.

- I remind myself just because food is there or that I'm being offered food does not mean I have to eat it.

- If I eat something I don't care for or it's it's not worth the calories I stop eating it.

These last two points can and do create hurt feelings, but I try to be tactful about it. I don't let anyone pressure me, even when they try to make me feel bad.

- Getting in some extra cardio for the day is always helpful, but I don't treat activity and exercise as punishment.

- I stay in control and don't overeat. For some items that means it's better that I don't have any.

- I wear non-stretchy, fitted clothing so that I won't be tempted to overeat because I can't. This works well for me. lol

Good luck!
  • richstyles
    Options
    Never let anyone make you feel bad for choosing not to eat or drink anything. Choose to eat or drink what you want at your own pace and only explain your reasoning if you feel like it.

I was just at an office party yesterday. One of my favorite people ever retired. I was offered some of her beautiful custom cake. I declined. The cake was beautiful, and incredibly thoughtful with several inside jokes played out in the icing, but I hate chocolate cake. I'm not a particularly big fan of cake in the first place. Her feelings weren't hurt, because the point of the party was that we were happy for her. We're not 12 and eating cake is not a worthwhile dare anyway.

I don't know if it's my personality or the nature of my friends but I have never felt obliged to make excuses for not eating what they were eating. I think the new culture of allergy awareness helps a lot. I *do* often explain when asked, "Oh, I'm so sorry, do you have an allergy?" "Nah. I just don't like that."

Thank you for the morale boost! And you go girl! Love the self confidence and assertion. I will remember this.
  • richstyles
    Options
    With parties, I like to:

- fit in an extra workout
    - alternate water with alcohol and limit myself to 1 or 2 beers alcoholic beverages. At an office party, I have none alcoholic beverages (I'm a lightweight and don't want to make a fool of myself)
    - eat a small meal in advance (I like soup) so I don't show up to the party starving
    - When serving yourself, start with a small (cocktail) sized plate. Go ahead and take small (1-2 bite servings) of your favorites, but also don't overload your plate, instead remind yourself the food will still be there if you want to come back and serve yourself 1-2 servings more.
    - Remind you are at the party primarily to socialize, not to eat.
    - If you can position yourself far away from the food when chatting with people rather than next to the buffet.
    - Try to track all the things.
    - Have fun
    - Remember tomorrow is another day.

I'm going to just screenshot this and reread this during the party! lol

This is an amazing and very practical list!
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    i would eat a little of the fattening foods, realizing I usually just want a taste. I would mingle with the people and socialize and not do all that overeating. I would eat something before I left home also so I wouldnt be too hungry.
  • richstyles
    Options
    Dear everyone,

Thank you so much for the thoughtful and very very helpful tips! I read every one and took some notes. Now I feel much more confident going in.

It's amazing to see all the creative and thoughtful ways people fit this into their lifestyle without killing the "fun" in it. I'm really glad I posted here.
  • skinnytacular
    skinnytacular Posts: 159 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »

No offense but if the prime reason I was wanted to attend a family event was for some item of food, I would personally decline, find the recipe and make it myself.

Why put yourself and others through the pain and suffering?

Well, my comment was a bit tongue in cheek. Food might not be THE primary reason to attend any kind of gathering, family or otherwise, but a special seasonal or favorite food or meal might be one of the top reasons to attend for many people.

And I will say, I have an aunt who is the only person who has my grandmother's beloved fudge recipe (my aunt won't share it, which is a real sore point with me, long story to that). If I knew my aunt was serving fudge at one of her gatherings, I might go out of my way to attend when I might otherwise be busy. And you bet I'll have some fudge while I'm there. And maybe wrangle some to go. :) And of course I would enjoy everyone's company while I'm there, but it will have been the promise of fudge that got me there.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    richstyles wrote: »
    Dear everyone,

Thank you so much for the thoughtful and very very helpful tips! I read every one and took some notes. Now I feel much more confident going in.

It's amazing to see all the creative and thoughtful ways people fit this into their lifestyle without killing the "fun" in it. I'm really glad I posted here.

Your life doesn't end because you start managing your weight. That is the mistake that I believe too many people make. The trick for me and for many here is how to make compromises so that you can live and enjoy life and still work towards your goal most of the time.