Failure Stories

Semele0
Semele0 Posts: 114 Member
Hello to everybody. I know the title of this post may sound contradictory, since we are in the Success Stories section, but what I mean is that I would like to hear from you about the times you failed before you succeeded.

I am now starting again in my path to lose some weight, and I feel so demotivated. The first time I used MyFitnessPal I actually was able to lose some weight, was proud of myself, but then I put them all on again during a stressful time. Since then I tried various times to start again, but every time I only kept logging food and staying under the calorie limit for like a week, before I quit and lost motivation.

Now I'm at it again, and I feel like I don't know how to avoid this cycle of starting and quitting continuously, and I feel that one of the main reasons is that I can't shake off the idea that even if I will be successful I won't be able to keep the weight off, because I wasn't able the first time I tried.

I know it is all about changing your lifestyle, and this is exactly what frightens me, that I know I can't stay focused my whole life on the way I eat. Paying attention to what I eat costs a lot of my focus everyday, so whenever there are more urgent things in my life I can't keep focusing on this and I quickly gain again.

I know that I am not the only one that struggled with this cycle of going up and down, so I'd really really appreciate to hear some stories from someone who went through this and was able to break the cycle and loose constantly and keep it off after various unsuccessful attempts.

Thank you to everyone who will share their story or any suggestions on how to break the cycle, I'm really grateful!

Replies

• RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    bear2303 wrote: »
    Small things that made big changes for me

1) I didn't start exercising until i was like 2 months in to tracking
    2) I didn't eat anything that I actively dislike for the sake of calories
    3) I tracked everything every day even if it put me way above my calories not to punish myself but to be accountable- your body tracks it anyway
    4) I realized that this is the rest of my life - tracking and exercising are not a means to an end, they are the way that I personally need to live for a WHILE until it becomes a legit lifestyle.

This helped me a ton as well, mainly because I almost always felt like I ate more calories than I actually did after logging, even when being generously high with my estimates.

• Semele0
    One thing that helped me was to sit down with myself and really hash out my goals. What do I really want out of weight loss? What is fitness going to do for ME? "Look hot" "Lose that extra padding" "Work out cuz it's healthy for me" have never been very motivating goals for me. Like I could look hot later.. OR have that extra taco NOW. I could work out because healthy OR I could watch that extra episode now.... This sends me into that start and stop cycle much like you. What really got me going was to figure out what exactly I wanted to accomplish with diet and exercise. For me, I was sick of not being able to hike anymore and not be able to keep up with my husband without feeling like death. It took the fun right out of an activity I once felt pleasure doing. So I focused on that. I began training and doing exercises aimed at getting better at hiking so I could do it with ease the next spring. Weight loss was part of that goal to. It would be easier to lug less weight up the mountain. I lost 20 lbs in 9 months and was able to accomplish that goal. Now, I am struggling with much of the same and also need to take my own advice and re-evaluate my goals, lol. I have been very lax with counting (not at all). And my summer felt so busy I had trouble focusing on working out. Back to the drawing board for me if I want to continue and not slide back.
    For it to feel less overwhelming one thing I've learned from past failures is to start one thing at a time. I would always go "START ALL THE FITNESS!! ALL THE CALORIES!! ALL THE HEALTH!!" Which would leave me feeling overwhelmed and hungry and I would just give up. I would say start with one thing at a time such as just counting (not reducing) your calories until you get the hang of it. Then scale them back. Then add work outs when you feel ready. And then just keep tweaking and changing little things as you go. It will soon become habit. When you slip up, just get back to it as soon as you are able. Not all days (or weeks even) will be perfect. But the more you get back into your new habits, the easier they will become to stick with. And the longer lasting your results will be.

Thanks. This really helps. I can't deny that my main motivation is to improve he way I look, but is not the only one. I also would like to improve my climbing (I do free climbing, and as you can imagine, having fewer kilos on you helps a lot!), and my fitness level in general (the ability to hike, to walk long distances without feeling tired immediately, etc). I think having them in mind will help to make better choices, than simply thinking that I HAVE TO.
    As for starting slow, I am, but I always feel like it is some sort of trick I play to myself. If I say I will only count and log, not restrict, my brain knows that it will bring me to restrict, so I can't help trying to do just that already. If I say, is just for today, or try for one week and see how it goes, my brain knows it is going to be for many years, if not forever, so the overwhelming feeling is there anyway.
  • Semele0
    SERmom3 wrote: »
    My chart shows a 6 year span. I hit my highest weight of 180 three times over the first few years. If you see where the green arrow is pointing to, that is Jan 2018. That’s when I took control and made myself a priority!

I haven’t been perfect and I took a break here and there, but I know that when I am focused, this process works! Each time you see my chart go down is when I was diligent about logging. I’ve been refocused since this summer and I am at my lowest weight since getting out of college about 15 years ago. And I’m not done yet!

Have you calculated your maintenance calories? Somehow that helped things click for me. Maybe you have a day when you go over your calorie goal, but do your best to stay at maintenance. That way you won’t be gaining. Another option is to do some cardio on a day that you anticipate eating more.

Log everything!

Be intentional and don’t give up!

You got this!

qb0j9p1d3c00.jpeg

*edited to fix chart image...first time posting a pic. 🤦‍♀️

THANK YOU! This is exactly what I needed. I can't stop looking at your chart and thinking how you must have felt the first time your weight went back to the start. I think pretty much how I am feeling now. But you did it anyway! Amazing work, thank you for sharing!

I hope I will learn not to feel so down every time I have to start over, and just do it anyway. I owe it to myself.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!