My face thinks I am 13 years old.

Options
p0pr0cksnc0ke
p0pr0cksnc0ke Posts: 1,283 Member
I have never really had a problem with acne. I get the usual breakouts around the TOM or stress. Its usually one or two big ones, so I wouldnt call it acne.

Lately, since I have been eating better, my skin is getting worse! :huh: I really am crap at drinking water, but I am drinking more than I was before I started changing my eating and working out. I dont touch my face a lot or anything. I use a light exfoliant wash every other day and an anti aging and anti acne between. What gives?! My skin is blotchy and forehead and chin all broke out!

I have tried the neutrogena custom acne stuff (cant think of the name right now, sorry) I didnt know if I should switch to proactive? I would think that eating better, less stress and drinking more water would have me GLOWING.. ya right.

What gives?!?!:grumble:

Replies

• GoldenGirl1979
    GoldenGirl1979 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    i had the same problem... & after reading a similar post, i realized that i'd been coming home straight from work & working out (w/o washing my make-up off first)... now i wash my face before & after i work out & problem solved!!! good luck :smile:
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    I'm not a dermatologist, but it could be from sweating while working out? Whenever I start working out intensely (once or twice a day) after a few weeks (or months?) of not working out at all, then my face tends to break out. I just always chalked it up to sweating more. Eventually it seems to clear up. I'd give it a week or two and see what happens. Or schedule an appointment with a dermatologist.
  • jinxywinx
    Options
    Are you consuming diet soda? That always makes me break out.
    I know they say that food isn't related, but they've done studies recently to show that some foods may trigger acne.
  • ETsambouris
    Options
    I hear you! I am the same way. I only ever broke out when I was pregnant and then it was only a few. My skin isn't liking me. I switched to the Clinique 3 step system and it is helping. My doctor says it is because I am eating better, my body is expelling all the yuckyness it has accumulated over the years. I just hope it ends soon. He told me to keep with the water and it will stop.
  • stephanie8625
    stephanie8625 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    You want to make sure that you are washing your face before and after you work out !!! Before you work out, wash your face, because when you work out, sweat, your pores open up, and then the dirt gets in pores and clogs them up -- also after you work out, good to get the sweat off your face and open up your pores. I got it in my forehead when I first started, but has gotten better as long as I am washing before and after -- I use Neutrogena grapefruit wash - it is a liquid soap -- love it:flowerforyou:

10344221.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • fish119
    fish119 Posts: 67
    Options
    I have been having the same problem. I was thinking it was sue to me exercising and sweating, maybe some of the pores are getting clogged while we are sweating out the oils in our skin? I wash my face after every workout but I'm still getting them. I really thought it was just me!
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    I got vain and used it when I didn't need to, once I stopped it made my face breakout like I had never seen before (this was at the age of 22/23). It also bleached the hell out of my sheets and towels, so the question is, do you really want to put something on your skin (that gets into your bloodstream) that bleaches the hell out of your bed linens and towels?

I think you just need to use a better skin care product, once without lots of junk. I swear by the Boscia system, it's not cheap but it also never burns my face or bleaches my belongings.

Good luck!
  • greenmisty
    Options
    I was in Proactiv and then I switched to AcneFree cause I can buy it at Walmart when I need it instead of an auto-order like Proactiv. It works well.
  • baygirl75
    Options
    Pro-activ is the only thing that works for me. You will see results fast.
  • p0pr0cksnc0ke
    p0pr0cksnc0ke Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I suppose I will wash before and after. i hadn't thought of that. thanks :flowerforyou:

i am supposed to be lookin hot and dropping weight. Not like a clumsy, 13 year old boy haha:angry:
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    Sometimes acnes washes can irritate. Make sure you're moisturizing and spot treat. look for a wash that's 10% benz Perox....salicic acid washes make mine worse.
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    Try the fresh-towel-over-the-pillow trick. Works for me.

But if it's hormonal, which it sounds like it might be, a course of antibiotics might be the trick. (My mom's ex is a body builder and he used to abuse steroids which would make him all hormonal, leading to bad break outs. He would get antibiotics and it'd clear right up.)
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Maybe your body is cleansing, or your going through some hormonal changes as your changing your lifestyle. Get a face wash high in benzoyl peroxide, and good quality moisturizer, and wait it out until you regulate (it may take a month).
  • wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    Most cosmotologists do NOT recommend changing your facial routine a lot. I'd stick with the neutrogena, it's very mild, doesn't strip your skin. Drink lots of water. Don't use very hot or very cold water, tepid. Try like clearasil or oxy 10% on breakouts & just keep doing what you're doing, it will balance out. The more you change, the more breakouts you could exp.
    Try steaming your face (NOT every day) over a bowl of hot water - then rinse in cool (not COLD)
    Can try an egg white facial - this firms, dries excess oil & clears pores - just whip up some egg whites (only!) schmear it on your face for 20 mins or so (til dry) and wash off thoroughly.
    IF it's a real problem, wouldn't hurt to see a dermatologist or esthetician at your local salon. If you've never had a professional facial, I HIGHLY recommend it! You're worth it!
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    I've had this problems since I was a teen, made worse by my PCOS. I started BC and a waterpill in April and BAM-skin is awesome for the first time in my life.

Just a little tip: Those 3-step systems always made my face worse. I've found a gentle, antibacterial soap alone works great for me.
  • maria1113
    maria1113 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Are you sure you're not exfoliating too much? That might irritate your skin too.
  • whatsyour1020
    Options
    Yeah, that's really annoying. Mine has cleared up since, 1: I now drink 4 cups of water FIRST thing in the morning 2: I started washing my face with sea salt water.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    More sweating. Toxin release. It is all normal and can take a while. Maybe try some facial cleansers for sensitive skin (no fragrances or alcohol). A lot of those creams and stuff are nothing but chemicals. And a lot of them contain alcohol which can have a drying effect and aggravate the skin. Water has no effect on skin health (I remember something on TV years ago that they did with twins. One drank a lot of water and the other drank normal and there was no change in here skin after a month with drinking more water).

I switched to Primal back at the end of April. This is eating real, whole foods and staying away from boxed, processed stuff. I'm 40 years old and am still dealing with breakouts here and there - especially when I give in into sugar and carbs. My body is still trying to get rid of the lifetime of crap that I ate.

And intensive daily cardio exercise (i.e. "chronic cardio") is stress - the body sees it as such. It can't tell the difference between stress from exercise and stress from bills, life, etc.
  • syates83
    syates83 Posts: 87
    Options
    I've heard really bad things about Proactiv from my Doctor. She recommended using a gentle face wash that didn't contain sacylic acid, I use Clean & Clear foaming face wash and then using a generous amount of Neutragena On the Spot Treatment (CVS generics version is just as good) and apply to affected areas. Then let it dry completely and apply a moisturizer (I use Cetaphil daily with SPF 15).

The water drinking and healthy eating my be making your skin temporarly worse because the junk is moving up to the surface. It should get better just try not to touch your face and don't stress about it.

Wash your face at night before you go to bed and when you wake up.

Good luck, I've been there!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,707 Member
    Options
    It's hormonal. Exercising raises natural testosterone levels. I know this for fact since I studied it in college and have it in a test.
    Rising testosterone levels will cause acne.