Keto diet

Options
Has anyone tried the Keto Diet?

Replies

• LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    I tried it but realized right away that it would not be a sustainable lifestyle for me.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I am currently using it to cut. When i get the weight i want, i will add back carbs. What are you looking for?
  • candylilacs
    candylilacs Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I eat keto. I use second phase -- meat, fat, nuts, beans and berries. I'm quite happy with it.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    Second phase what? Seems unlikely one would be in ketosis with any realistic serving of berries and nuts.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    edited October 2019
    Options
    Azdak wrote: »
    psuLemon wrote: »
    I don’t get why anyone would want to do anything other than count calories as a “diet”. It’s so simple & you get to eat what you want and still lose weight.

Because sometimes, its not that just simple. I have calorie counted for nearly 10 years. And when i tried my current cut with just doing that, i wasn't losing, i was sneaking some treats and couldn't stay consistent. Now that i am doing keto, it gave me intrinsic restriction which is making my dietary compliance better.

So, essentially, it is helping you do a better job of “counting calories”.

I have used it without calorie counting, too. So ill do periods with and without.

But there are also people, like my wife, who cannot do calorie counting. It drives them into a bad state of mind. The previous poster is doing well without it.
  • richstyles
    richstyles Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I know some people get great results from keto. Also some promising studies on health benefits (even for the brain) from a modified Mediterranean-ketogenic diet. I'd post a link showing the guy who did this for great results while traveling around Asia but I'm not sure if that's allowed.

I briefly flirted with the idea but find calorie counting sufficient. It's super simple (thanks to barcodes) and I can really dial in the numbers so I'm not hallucinating about food and yet make progress like clockwork. I just don't think I can commit to such a drastic dietary change to maintain ketosis enough to get those results.
  • briters89
    briters89 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Keto! I have lost over 60 pounds in 5 months. I love not having cravings, and not being hungry all the time. My thinking is finally clear, fewer headaches, and my body no longer aches. It's easy to be in a calorie deficit, because you stay full much longer.
  • candylilacs
    candylilacs Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    Second phase what? Seems unlikely one would be in ketosis with any realistic serving of berries and nuts.

I will pee on a stick for you if you want!
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »

I will pee on a stick for you if you want!

That confused me too! I eat nuts and berries often and my carbs are low enough for ketosis. But I run, hike, lift, and am generally active enough that ketosis is easy even with carbs above the 20gm/day mark.