Last Night was an eye opener!

Options
Oh my goodness, I learned a hard lesson last night. I have been creeping upwards in weight all year and couldn't figure out what the heck was going on. My husband doesn't eat the same things I do all the time so sometimes I happlily create other food for him because in the back of my head I know I'll get to taste it. Well those tastes were costing me big time. Last night for some weird reason I weighed the homemade mashed potatoes I was warming up for my hubby's dinner. I weighed them before and after heating them up. I had consumed 100 grams just tasting as I was heating them! No wonder I was gaining weight. From now on I'll keep a very tight leash on my tasting.

Just throwing this out to those of you who think you are within your calories and complain you aren't losing even though your calories are low. By the way those tastes of mashed potato added up to 200+ calories.

Replies

• LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    Lesson learned. Personal insight is everything. Well done!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,402 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    I'm logging everything. If I have one chip from the cupboard: log it. Sometimes it stops me from eating the chip...just because it's a pain to log it.

One exception: Costco. You know all those "try this stations"? I limit myself to one...but try everything.

I have it on good authority that those try stations are all *caloree free*.

Costco: This is one of the rare cases where I quick-add. Rough running tally in store, quick add at end, rounding up to even 50s. Close enough. ;)
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,369 Member
    Options
    good post
  • cupcakesandproteinshakes
    Options
    This is me as well when I’m cooking. It’s a bad habit and I’m trying to limit it. I just love my own cooking tho. Well I love good in general actually
  • SFJULES66
    SFJULES66 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Yes, I also quick-add the Costco samples. Often times I scan the label on my phone and do the math.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    So are there more of these mashed potatoes and how easy would it be to break in your home and steal some?

Great post! Great lesson!

https://youtu.be/k-oVuQpjG3s
  • etherealanwar
    etherealanwar Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I have been doing this lately and not accounting for it....probably should stop.
  • poisonesse
    poisonesse Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Totally agree with you! I was lucky enough to learn about BLTs the first week I started my journey (back in 2012), so I'm another one that only tastes from my weighed portion. But I've also been cooking long enough that I know if my food is decent by the smell and what's gone into it so far, and it's only at the end that I need to adjust... AFTER weighing. ;-) Great lesson to be learned, and you've done yourself and everyone else a great service by posting about it. ;)
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    So are there more of these mashed potatoes and how easy would it be to break in your home and steal some?

Lol, yup come on down. Mashed potatoes are definitely a weakness of mine. ;)
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options

Lol, yup come on down. Mashed potatoes are definitely a weakness of mine. ;)

They are often a part of a treat meal for me. When I make them I like to leave them just slightly lumpy and I prefer them really basic so it is just butter, cream, and seasoning for me.
  • Sylphadora
    Sylphadora Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I used to be sooooo guilty of this! I tasted everything I could while meal prepping. I stopped doing it because I realized that if I put it together it was a lot of food
  • RachellaJ
    RachellaJ Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the reminder! I used to eat my son’s leftover grilled cheese crusts or the last few bites of Mac and cheese when he was little and it really does add up! I gained so much from mindless snacks and bits of this and that. It becomes a habit. My motto now is “if you eat it, log it. And if you can’t log it, don’t eat it”.