Which one to do!?

Options
To start off I have a hard time loosing weight. Should I just track my calories (1300)or do a keto diet with maximum 20 carbs a day.
What are yalls opinion?

Replies

• jenncornelsen
    jenncornelsen Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    I personally found I could not stick with keto long term. I lost 20, then gained it all back plus more. I have just been tracking calories now, no specific diet, and am down 50lbs oved last 7 months. Some people love keto, think on what u feel u can do for lufe
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    I do not feel good with keto, but I do well when I increase protein to about 30% of my caloric intake. It's a difficult goal to meet, but it keeps me full and still allows me to have pasta and rice, without which I would probably be some kind of homicidal maniac bed-pudding.

That said, the easiest way to ensure that my protein is 30% of my calories, is to track my calories - even if I'm not restricting them.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    Start off just tracking calories. Experiment with what macros make you happiest. Like Elizabeth, I need at least a certain amount of protein or I will be very hungry later. I also do better if I limit my fat. Carbs just don’t seem to matter much to me—either way. That may be different than what you want. But it is much easier if you find what helps you.
  • Sylphadora
    Sylphadora Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I do both. Keto is great but you can overeat on it. I actually gained weight on keto because I ate a lot of nuts & dairy. Now I do zero carb and I eat some raw cheese (mainly parmigiano reggiano) but I'm super careful when I eat it because I had some infamous parmigiano reggiano binges in the past. I have 2 rules: I always eat it with something else and I track it
  • candylilacs
    candylilacs Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    You do what you can do for a lifetime. I got in on it (keto) for my blood glucose. I was recovering from septic shock and pneumonia and blood glucose shot up 460. I got up to an A1C 9.1. My blood glucose reached 195 three months later. It was a month ago I started keto, and it was my blood glucose 120 a day ago (A1c 5.6).
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,012 Member
    Options
    It's about calories, full stop.

Like they say above, track food, eat the food you like and in a variety which keeps you feeling satisfied. I do lower carb when I'm losing weight, but not Keto because bread. Well, and potatoes. And fruit. Pasta, rice, beans, dairy. I have to have carbs. I can cut down, but not to 20g a day - I eat 150g per day when I'm in weight loss mode.