runners out there?

Options
i enjoy running but how do i get started? i used to be a sprinter in high school(ages ago) haha anyways i can run a mile without stopping at around a 9 or 10 min mile pace. how so i increase my mileage without killing myself? when im done running the mile i am pretty out of breath and eventually i would like to run some 5ks. plus to me getting a good run in helps destress me. thats so weird to say because i used to hate running long distances. anyways any suggestions would be great! i also want to put some strength in my workouts so how often should i do that? thanks everyone. i am currently 162lbs and have pretty strong leg muscles so i can take a good workout its just i dont think my lungs are very strong yet. and no i dont smoke. ummm so yeah please leave comments. :happy:

Replies

• Bailey543
    Bailey543 Posts: 375
    Options
    I'm restarting with couch to 5k
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    I would recommend the Couch to 5k program..
  • MrsMonologues
    Options
    There are great podcasts that teach you interval training for running to increase strength and endurance. It tells you when to walk, when to run, etc. and slowly increases. I have never run before and I have been running almost a month with them.

I am currently using the NHS couch to 5k podcast which is a 9 week to 5 k.

After that I am doing the bridge to 8k with the podrunner internvals podcast, and then the gateway to 10 with PI as well.

They are free podcasts on itunes, and I and many friends swear by them.

Do each workout three times, and take a day off between days.

Good luck!
  • DancinSMartiPants
    Options
    Couch to 5k works for any fitness level since you set your own speed. It's a great program.
  • alsnipes
    alsnipes Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    check out the Jeff Galloway system. You run/ walk your miles to get you better accustomed to striaght up running the miles. Based off you mile time, you should run 2 min, walk 1 min. It def builds your endurance physically and MENTALLY.
    Good luck
  • mandysjourney
    mandysjourney Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Hey there I am currently doing the c25k (couch to 5k challenge). It startes out with short run/ walk intervalws and builds up. I sm up to week 6 day 3 now and just completed my first 5k. Quite enjoying it. This program recommends 3 runs a week.

I do 3 jog days (cant yet call it running as I am only doing about 11.5 min mile) and 2 strength trainiong days as the gym with a small amount of cardio.

goodluck
  • kandy221
    kandy221 Posts: 79
    Options
    Couch to 5K is great, also more @ runnersworld.com great site. Good luck!
  • kac7700
    kac7700 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    C25K is a great program. But if you're not into that, make sure you only increase your mileage by 10% each week, otherwise you'll just hurt yourself and get discouraged! Good luck!
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    It's great that you can run such a fast paced mile, but I would say slow down your pace so you're not so out of breath and gradually add distance--some experts recommend adding no more than 10% each week--so add a 10th of a mile each week--if you're running 1 mile now, run 1.1 miles the next week, 1.2 the following week, etc.

Couch 25K is a great program but you can also use variations on it or look up running coaches like Hal Higdon and Jeff Galloway to try out their methods.

Good luck!
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Just keep at it. When I started I struggled to run more than 4 miles straight, now I can happily do 7, and am working up to a half marathon. That has taken a year, and I run 3 times a week. I'd say just keep at it, do one longer run a week where you push yourself distance wise, but keep the pace quite slow. If you sprint off the start you'll crash after the first mile.
  • kendrafallon
    kendrafallon Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    As a lot of people on here have suggested, Couch to 5k - I only started running earlier this year and found it really easy to get into. Here's a good site for runs others have done and logged, with maps for all over the world:
    http://www.walkjogrun.net/
  • krlis
    krlis Posts: 2
    Options
    Hope this note helps as it help me to become not just a runner but a marathoner!!!
    Write down your goal, but don't hesitate to revise it, similarly to letting others know your plan to start running, it is important to write your running goal(s) down.
    Run for time, not speed or distance; those latter two have their place, but maybe not yet, in the beginning, it's simplest to just get out there for a set period of time, and don't even worry about running the whole time, just be out there. "I'm just going out for 20 min" is the way you might think about, as you become fitter, you'll be able to do more and more running and less walking.
    Talk your way through it: New runners sometimes make the mistake of thinking it's not "real" running unless is painful and you are gasping for breath, Not true; use the talk test -- the ability to hold a normal conversation with your self!!! -- to let you know if you are running easily enough. If you can't talk, slow down!!!
    Remember you are a runner no matter what anyone says or a person who runs--take your pick! point being, there's no litmus test for being a runner and no arbiter. You are a runner when you say and believe you are a runner. Period.
  • millionsofpeaches
    Options
    Get good shoes and start by putting one food in front of the other (faster than walking). It is that simple. :)

I think lots of people on here do couch to 5k... When I started I ran as far as I could and increased it till I had a good base.
  • Rachaelluvszipped
    Rachaelluvszipped Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    Love the topic..was thinking of running also..
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I was a sprinter back in the day also, now turned distance runner.
    Just keep at it. Slow you pace down slightly so that you can go a bit longer. Right now you are all about building up endurance. It will come over time.
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    check out the Jeff Galloway system. You run/ walk your miles to get you better accustomed to striaght up running the miles. Based off you mile time, you should run 2 min, walk 1 min. It def builds your endurance physically and MENTALLY.
    Good luck

Even without the walk breaks, Jeff Galloway has some great tips for beginner runners... or any runner!!
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest starting C25K with week 5 if you can already run a mile in 9 or 10 minute without stopping. And slow down. You can get your speed back up later, after your body gets used to the change in your running goals.