Self confidence

Options
heathers1219
heathers1219 Posts: 6 Member
I am dieting to help my self confidence. I am truly my own worst enemy! Any suggestions on how to mentally improve self confidence?

Replies

• kds10
    kds10 Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    For me a great workout...when I am stinky sweaty love it!!
  • RevGym2
    RevGym2 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I am dieting to help my self confidence. I am truly my own worst enemy! Any suggestions on how to mentally improve self confidence?

Do the things I do in your life will be most excellent. I’ll let you know when my podcast starts.
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Emmapatterson1729 Posts: 1,296 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    I read a book called "Feeling Good." A cognitive behavioral therapy book.

It did help make me feel less self conscious when out and about, which I think directly affected my confidence.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Just know you are really special. No one ever is like you. I know it's hard but we need to remember this. I'm sure you do lots of things for the ones you love and care about. Think of those things and realise you are wonderful. We can do more too. Lets go sis!
  • amorfati601070
    amorfati601070 Posts: 2,866 Member
    Options
    Just pick a day of the week in which you say whatever you wanna say and to some extent do whatever you wanna do. See how it goes and then slowly increase the amount of days until there are no fcks given anymore. It could be wonderful or horrible but it’s worth a shot. Kinda like the episode of The Simpson’s when everyone starts acting like Bart lol
  • amorfati601070
    Options
    And if that fails..

wou5tr9vfgm9.jpeg

But please use public transport, don’t use heavy machinery and don’t work in a job where you can kill someone by mistake.

Actually..horrible advice..or is it?
  • amorfati601070
    Options
    1sphere wrote: »
    Just pick a day of the week in which you say whatever you wanna say and to some extent do whatever you wanna do.
    I don’t know if I can speak for everyone, but I would personally hate myself for doing this. If I knew I were irritating others it would make me cringe (especially if I didn’t even feel good to do it).

It’s unhealthy to censor yourself though, and you’ll eventually bottle up and explode. It’s great feeling when u find some people that appreciate honesty.
  • amorfati601070
    Options
    Just pick a day of the week in which you say whatever you wanna say and to some extent do whatever you wanna do.
    I don’t know if I can speak for everyone, but I would personally hate myself for doing this. If I knew I were irritating others it would make me cringe (especially if I didn’t even feel good to do it).

It’s unhealthy to censor yourself though, and you’ll eventually bottle up and explode. It’s great feeling when u find some people that appreciate honesty.
    I guess it's alright if you say something positive or significant. I was thinking more in a dark sense of "saying what you want to say", after I just watched The Joker.

It’s more about standing up for yourself and being assertive, you can do it without looking like a dickhead too. Joker had a distorted view of the world.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I think setting & achieving personal goals, even small ones, can do wonders for self confidence. Knowing that you're working on something in your life & making it better can go a long way.

I also really like having a gratitude journal where every day I write just 1-4 words (one word or a very short phrase) about what I am grateful for, and this can include qualities that I possess as well as random stuff like sunshine, a great nature walk, or a friend's understanding. It sounds so cheesy but it helps me with depression and anxiety and I think it would also aid in building confidence and a positive attitude.
  • Hollis100
    Hollis100 Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options
    I think setting & achieving personal goals, even small ones, can do wonders for self confidence. Knowing that you're working on something in your life & making it better can go a long way.

I also really like having a gratitude journal where every day I write just 1-4 words (one word or a very short phrase) about what I am grateful for, and this can include qualities that I possess as well as random stuff like sunshine, a great nature walk, or a friend's understanding. It sounds so cheesy but it helps me with depression and anxiety and I think it would also aid in building confidence and a positive attitude.

^^ These suggestions ring true for me.

If you can, take a public speaking class (or more than one). Most colleges and community colleges have them. Standing in front of a room of strangers, holding their attention and engaging them -- and practicing your speech at home -- can really benefit a shy person. I had to take one of these classes recently and wished I'd taken them years ago.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Hollis100 wrote: »

^^ These suggestions ring true for me.

If you can, take a public speaking class (or more than one). Most colleges and community colleges have them. Standing in front of a room of strangers, holding their attention and engaging them -- and practicing your speech at home -- can really benefit a shy person. I had to take one of these classes recently and wished I'd taken them years ago.

Oh wow, great suggestion Hollis100. I studied public speaking (and debate) in college and feel it was extremely valuable to me in areas that I never would have imagined it being useful. I think it can help so much with being more assertive and confident.

This may sound weird but I also really think learning to be comfortable speaking on camera can help a person with their self-image. Even if it's just recording yourself on your phone YouTuber style. Voice or voice/image. I turn to this occasionally when I am feeling insecure, for example I practiced on my phone when I was asking for a raise at work and I think my "performance" was MUCH better and I came across more self-assured after several self-critiqued practice runs. It helped me see where I sounded weak or overly submissive and change my tone and language.

I've gone on too much about this, but yeah I agree totally about a public speaking course being a huge help.
  • littlegreenparrot1
    littlegreenparrot1 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Pick something you would like to learn, and set out to achieve it.

It doesn't really matter what, knitting, Indian cookery, swimming, a language, whatever you like.

The aim is to set yourself up to achieve something that you enjoy. Commit to do it a couple of times a week, then just get started. Classes can be good, but intimidating for some people, there are online tutorials for everything.

As you get better, faster, understand more, progress in your chosen skill, your confidence grows and starts to impact on other areas.
  • Tinydancer106
    Tinydancer106 Posts: 3,678 Member
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    I simply associate with people who aren't very fit, very creative, very attractive, very intelligent or very successful.

By comparison, I look like a million bucks.

The next time you call to hang out don't be surprised if something has suddenly come up😒