begining to run ~ shins are sore......

Options
Hey MFP's ~ I started a running classs last night :happy: I did really good, but my shins are sore. What am I doing wrong :huh: Is it form? We ran mainly on a trail. I just want to start out right.

Thanks for any advice you have :drinker: Have a Great Day

Replies

• Aid_B
    Aid_B Posts: 427
    Options
    New fitted running shoes make all the difference
  • DancinSMartiPants
    Options
    Shoes make all the difference. I'm VERY heavy and run 12-15 miles/week with no injury.
  • mora_ta
    mora_ta Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    New shoes and be sure to stretch before and after!!
  • kendrafallon
    kendrafallon Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    Do some mild stretching and warm up before you start and make sure you stretch and cool down afterwards - makes a huge difference!
  • Bailey543
    Bailey543 Posts: 375
    Options
    I get awful shin splints. I went out and got a good pair of running shoes, running insoles and I stretch really good after I run. I also ice down my shins after a run. Try couch to 5k too. It will start you out slower. You may have just put too much stress too fast on your legs. Also, consider going to a store that will watch you walk or run and tell you the kind of shoes you need. I didn't do that, but a lot of people say it helps. Good luck!
  • MrsMonologues
    Options
    Stretch more and get new running shoes, I was having the same problem, but feel so much better once I got new shoes!
  • Katiemarie4488
    Katiemarie4488 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    everyone will respond with this im sure, but be sure to STRETCH before and after..... and for the pain Biofreeze works GREAT! I like the spray, but my sister prefers the roll on. We get it from our chiropractors office.(most all chirop's carry it) .. but any medical supply store will have it.
  • Panda86
    Panda86 Posts: 873
    Options
    You may need better shoes. Shin splints can be caused by running/walking for longer periods of time on a hard surface. New shoes may help, as well as light stretching before, and some pain-relief rub (icy hot, bengay, etc) when you are hurting.
  • jessradtke
    jessradtke Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Shoes really can make a big difference, BUT some people (like me) are prone to shin splints no matter how good their shoes are. I have a flair up whenever I raise my distance and/or speed. And going from not running to running is definitely a case of upping one's distance and/or speed, so you may have just tried to do too much too soon. For me, the things that help the most are ibuprofen and icing after a long run, extra days off after long runs, stretching after every single run (no matter how long or short), and doing injury prevention excercises on my non-running days. Google "foot drills" and "injury prevention exercises for runners" and you'll find quite a few.
  • PositivePower
    PositivePower Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much!!! I knew I would get a quick response. I have to get to work :angry: but will looking into shoes etc. I am looking forward to a rock n roll half marathon in Feb. I know I can walk it with no issue, but I would like to run alittle, also looking for another form of exercise so I never get board. I need to keep moving to get rid of the junk in my trunk!!!

Thanks again :bigsmile: