More protein please

Options
deb78k
deb78k Posts: 1 Member
Hi everyone,
I need more protein in my diet. It seems that carbs & fats are dominating my diet.
Please note I am a pescaterian (vegetarian that eats fish- for me tuna & salmon a few times/month). I also don't eat much dairy (occasional piece of cheese. No cows milk- almond & soy milk for me).
I incorporate legumes and eggs and protein shakes into my diet, but it does not seem to be sufficent for my protein intake.
Help me conquer this challenge so i have a more protein based diet.
Many thanks, Deb

Replies

• rdl619
    rdl619 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    deb78k wrote: »
    Hi everyone,
    I need more protein in my diet. It seems that carbs & fats are dominating my diet.
    Please note I am a pescaterian (vegetarian that eats fish- for me tuna & salmon a few times/month). I also don't eat much dairy (occasional piece of cheese. No cows milk- almond & soy milk for me).
    I incorporate legumes and eggs and protein shakes into my diet, but it does not seem to be sufficent for my protein intake.
    Help me conquer this challenge so i have a more protein based diet.
    Many thanks, Deb

Have you tried any plant based protein powders? 🙂
  • susanrbagley1
    susanrbagley1 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I get protein shakes at Wal-Mart. I get the protein powder and mix it with Almond Milk. It is in the pharmacy section at most Wal-Marts. Just read the labels and make sure the one you get does not have creatine in it.
  • kwlaparo
    kwlaparo Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I recommend plain soy protein isolate powder since it's free of other fillers/sweeteners and gives you the best bang for your buck. I blend it up in smoothies or add it to oatmeal. Beans are your best friend, but it seems like you already know that.

Repeat after me: TOFU, SEITAN, TEMPEH. All delicious. All high protein. All plant-based.

Tofu beats eggs for protein and calcium (and has fewer calories and less cholesterol and avoids animal cruelty...). Here's a reddit thread with a great tofu vs. egg infographic as well as linked recipes for tofu scramble:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/vegan/comments/3uzgwo/tofu_vs_egg_scramble/

I buy tofu at my local Asian grocery store and it's $1.50/lb so also extremely economical compared to any other protein source I can find near me. If tofu scrambles don't do it for you, tofu gets nice and crispy when baked and can be added to any salad, stir fry, or side dish.
    Crispy baked tofu recipe: https://cookieandkate.com/how-to-make-crispy-baked-tofu/

People who don't like tofu, seitan, or tempeh usually just haven't seasoned or prepared their food properly.

Also, the comment above says to avoid creatine, but it's often made synthetically which is fine for vegetarians/vegans. Just make sure you're eating the synthetic, not animal-based creatine.
    https://vegfaqs.com/are-creatine-supplements-vegan-friendly/

Source: I'm vegan and hit my protein intake daily (when I'm paying attention at least).