Question about 100 Calorie snack packs.....

Options
Just wondering if anyone out there has looked to see if the 100 calorie snack pacs are just the reqular snacks made smaller or are the ingrediates different?

I was buying the 100 cal snacks, but it would be a whole lot cheaper to make my own 100 cal snack packs using the full size product.

I had my daughter weighing out 1 oz of reduced fat cheese nips and putting them into small sandwich bags. 100 cal snack packs per box = 6 (about $2.50 per box) vs 20 of my own using a box ( $1.99- and they were buy one get one free!)

Thoughts???

Thanks all!

Replies

• watch48win
    watch48win Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    Just wondering if anyone out there has looked to see if the 100 calorie snack pacs are just the reqular snacks made smaller or are the ingrediates different?

I was buying the 100 cal snacks, but it would be a whole lot cheaper to make my own 100 cal snack packs using the full size product.

I had my daughter weighing out 1 oz of reduced fat cheese nips and putting them into small sandwich bags. 100 cal snack packs per box = 6 (about $2.50 per box) vs 20 of my own using a box ( $1.99- and they were buy one get one free!)

Thoughts???

Thanks all!
  • zenmama
    zenmama Posts: 1,000
    Options
    100 calories is a 100 calories no matter how you weigh it or what you put it in....so I say do what is more $$$$ wise.

dd
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    you are better off buying and packing your own cost wise. They are the same food just in fancier packages, except those so called oreos.
  • abrandenberger
    Options
    Whatever works best for you...for me...I find it easier just to by the 100 calorie packs just becuase I don't have time measuring!!! But that is a great idea!!!:wink:
  • NurseBarb
    NurseBarb Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    They are a bit different. Some of them are different texturally and I think therefore you get a little more than you would of the actual "full on" product. But if you have time for measuring etc., then go for it.
    They work better for me because I have NO TIME at all and I can buy the boxes cheap at walmart and tell the kids to limit it to one or two a day.
  • tbirdl2008
    Options
    thats a great idea. thanks for the tip ....good luck
  • watch48win
    watch48win Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    We also used ginger snaps and packed them the same way.

We took the serving size and divided into the total calories to determine how many calories were in a cookie. Turns out you can have 4 ginger snaps for a whooping 104 calories! We made 16 bags for $1.79!

I asked the question about the ingrediants earlier because I wasn't sure if the fat calories were different. I guess the boxes do say 100 cal, and nothing really about the fat content.!
  • MontanaGirl
    MontanaGirl Posts: 1,251 Member
    Options
    Yea - I have to premeasure my chips if I'm having a sandwich because I'll go WAY over 1 oz :tongue:
    It really doesn't take long to measure out food like that with a food scale - I have a cheap $6 one from Walmart and after a couple of bags measured out you get pretty good at knowing how much to put on the scale so you don't have to fiddle too much with it. I think it's a good idea with snack stuff in general plus saves a lot of $$.
  • Erica92627
    Options
    They are a bit different. Some of them are different texturally and I think therefore you get a little more than you would of the actual "full on" product. But if you have time for measuring etc., then go for it.
    They work better for me because I have NO TIME at all and I can buy the boxes cheap at walmart and tell the kids to limit it to one or two a day.

they eat one or two boxes a day?!:noway: LOL only joking!
  • catlover
    catlover Posts: 389
    Options
    I buy the regular size of items and pack it into snack size baggies for my daughter's lunch and for snacks in the day. She needs to shed about 20 pounds and one of the first lessons will be determining serving size. I've decided to take all the prepackaged items we have in the house--cereal, crackers, etc--and divide them into serving sizes only until she gets the hang of it.

There was big discussion here about muscle vs fat a couple weeks ago that was interesting. This reminds me of that discussion. 100 calories is 100 calories--but what you are measuring will determine how much of that you get to eat. If you're eating celery, you get a lot; if you're eating chocolate cake, not so much. If you're tracking the amount of fat you are eating in the 100 packs compared to the regular packaged item, you'll need to read the labels. That's where I'm up to now.
  • amandacain1997
    amandacain1997 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I always buy the 100 calorie packs, even though they are more expensive because I know I will only eat 100 calories that way. I have tried rationing out the "regular stuff" and I always end up eating too many, or at least being very tempted to. They are more expensive, but I usually just watch for a sale and stock up on them. They have been total lifesavers for me (I have to have chocolate every day!:blushing: )