Low carb and fasting

Options
ishamina
ishamina Posts: 4 Member
edited October 2019 in Health and Weight Loss
Hey guys so over the last two years I have lost a total of 60 pounds but over the last three months I gained 30 back. I stopped going to the gym and I ate everything in site. So it’s week one back on the grind and I decided to stick to low carb. That means I don’t eat over 60 carbs a day and I stick to my calorie deficit which is 1500 sometimes I only eat 1200-1300. I haven’t begun working out but I also fast. So I only eat from 12:30pm-630pm. What have you guys done that works for you? And I want to add that I’ve lost ten pounds this week but I believe that it is water weight lol

Replies

• happyauntie2015
    happyauntie2015 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your loss so far! I think my unintentional fasting is helping me. My eating window seems to be from 12p-7p. I weigh everything on a food scale or measure spoons/cups depending on solids or liquids. That has to help me the most I think because I'm controlling my portions which means calories too! I eat low carb and stay between 60-70 a day but I do sometimes go over. I'm type 2 diabetic so by counting carbs my A1c has come down. I've been moving more which seems to help my muscles and joints and fibromyalgia. I don't it just seems like everything is turning around and with the weight I've lost that helps me to push forward. Sorry I rambled.
  • becky444
    becky444 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I’m starting low carb today..... I know I can do it it’s just a matter of mind over matter but damn so hard some times
  • swim777
    swim777 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    One thing I’m seeing is when I do lower carb for a while, my cravings are less. I’m eating high protein and getting the fats in. I am eating whole wheat ( one half sandwich thin) at lunch. So hang in there!
  • Fit2BeMe2020
    Fit2BeMe2020 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Fasting is so amazing. I started 2 weeks ago and love it. Some days are hard, but you get a keen idea of what your body tells you. When you’re hungry, when you’re not or just mindless eating... I’m trying to stick to low carb, and my calorie max is 1500. I just started exercising this week because I’ve lost a total of 13 lbs in 2 weeks, but it was water weight and I can tell. I’m less bloated. I notice a significant difference in how I feel overall. I’m excited to see what 3 months from now will look like. We can do it!
  • hafsatoheed2019
    hafsatoheed2019 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Fasting is so amazing. I started 2 weeks ago and love it. Some days are hard, but you get a keen idea of what your body tells you. When you’re hungry, when you’re not or just mindless eating... I’m trying to stick to low carb, and my calorie max is 1500. I just started exercising this week because I’ve lost a total of 13 lbs in 2 weeks, but it was water weight and I can tell. I’m less bloated. I notice a significant difference in how I feel overall. I’m excited to see what 3 months from now will look like. We can do it!
    Congratulations on the initial loss😉
    Plz update more frequently I’m gonna follows the same thing for two weeks. And see what happen. Keep coming to these pages for motivation/even getting motivated but not being enough honest to see any loss but now it’s now or never
    I’m 5”1 186 fe and just today I saw scale says 190.2 I’m mortified 😳😳😳
    Drying lose at least 50 lb. I’m already busting the seams of my xls and coats /jackets are getting so tight.......
    And layering season is around the corner
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    ishamina wrote: »
    Hey guys so over the last two years I have lost a total of 60 pounds but over the last three months I gained 30 back. I stopped going to the gym and I ate everything in site. So it’s week one back on the grind and I decided to stick to low carb. That means I don’t eat over 60 carbs a day and I stick to my calorie deficit which is 1500 sometimes I only eat 1200-1300. I haven’t begun working out but I also fast. So I only eat from 12:30pm-630pm. What have you guys done that works for you? And I want to add that I’ve lost ten pounds this week but I believe that it is water weight lol

Skipping breakfast is natural for me. I was doing it while I was gaining weight and then I continued doing it while I have lost weight.

What has really worked for me though is keeping it as simple and easy as possible. I experimented a lot at first to figure out what that meant for me.

Also, I finally accepted the fact that I am human. I will make mistakes. I will fall. Those are not things that kill a weight loss effort. Quitting is the killer. In the past one night of booze and pizza would make think I had blown it so I might as well eat until Monday. Monday often didn't come for months or years later. If I had just started again the next day I would have kept making progress. Don't quit ever.

So the question really has never been how to lose the next pound. Just about anyone can lose weight. Most people fail to lose all the weight that want to lose. The question is how easy can you make it on yourself to lose the next pound. A sensible and sustainable weight loss is the goal so that you can stick with it until you are finished losing and then adapt it to live the rest of your life.

I am 19 months into this and that sounds like a long time but I have battled my weight for decades and that is a really long time. 19 months is nothing in comparison. Besides it takes a long time to lose over 200 pounds and counting. I have made many mistakes and I have not been perfect but I just didn't quit over any of it. I found my easiest path forward.

You don't need low carb or fasting to lose weight. They either help you stay in a calorie deficit easier or they make it harder and they become a hindrance. It is up to the individual to decide which is the case. As I mentioned I naturally skip breakfast which in the last few years has turned into IF. I do run a moderate carb system most of the time because I find it controls my reactive hypoglycemia better. I still lose weight at around 3500 calories per pound though so neither give me an advantage other than adherence and management.