BMR Help?!

Options
I read the newbie posts but am still quite confused about this BMR thing.

I calculated mine and it said it was 1,611 calories
but MFP tells me to eat 1200 calories (to lose two pounds a week) or 1510 (to lose 1 pound a week).

I have seen many people saying to eat at least what your BMR is.

So should I be eating at least 1611 or sticking to the 1200/1510 calories that MFP is telling me to eat?

Replies

• Amo_Angelus
    Amo_Angelus Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    If you want to loose calories, then obviously you have to eat less than you loose. Your BMR is what you use, your recommended calorie intake is what you should be eating in order to loos that weight, because it' less than you ue, which is why the recommendation goes up as you earn extra calories from excercise.
  • peteb79
    peteb79 Posts: 386
    Options
    Eat what MFP says, to lose. You have to have a deficit to lose.
  • babs23
    babs23 Posts: 86
    Options
    They don't use your BMR to calculate your number, they use your TDEE:

http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html
  • vettle
    vettle Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    eat at least your bmr. your body burns this at rest (if you were in a coma, the nurses would feed you your BMR to keep you functioning). you would be outraged if you were in a coma and then woke up to find that the nurses were feeding you less than what you needed to survive!

MFP will tell you a calculated amount, not as if a human being is here caring about your bodyand calculating appropriate amounts.

however, as you lose weight, recalculate your bmr because it will change.

you gotta lose weight SLOWLY! I can't say that enough. If you lose fast (with MFP 1200 ridiculous numbers) you will be tired, lose muscle and not fat, and your likelihood of gaining that weight back later is much higher!

listen to fat to fit radio.
  • os431
    os431 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    you would be outraged if you were in a coma and then woke up to find that the nurses were feeding you less than what you needed to survive!

Well that definitely puts it into perspective...

Thanks!