Tofu - calories question

My question is about fresh firm tofu. I weighed 127 gr of this. I squeezed out the water getting that weight. I looked up other calorie entries for this same food and it varies a lot. How can that be? Fresh tofu doesn't have other ingredients in it does it? I don't understand the variation in calories and fat between the tofu I bought in store and ones listed here. Can anyone help me understand this? Thanks!

Replies

• icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    There could be slight variation in different brands, but i would start by checking the nutrition label on the one you have. See how many servings in a package, divide accordingly or create your own serving size but use the info from your package to figure out calories.
  • Clairin
    Clairin Posts: 95 Member
    127 gr of the fresh tofu I have is apparently 140 calories and 9 grams of fat. Yet other brands here on the database are 105 calories 6 gr fat, 113 calories 6 grams of fat and another is 119 calories. I dont understand how my product is 140 calories with way more fat. Its just the regular firm fresh tofu with the nigari, nothing added. How can my supermarket brand be so different. Its not making sense to me, Im starting to think its wrong, the manufacturer is wrong?
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    A variation of +/- 20 calories across similar foods is normal. Different manufacturers have slightly different methods. One tofu might be slightly firmer and therefore have a little more of its weight be soy instead of water.
  • Clairin
    Clairin Posts: 95 Member
    Thank you!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,895 Member
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    Yeah, it's about the amount of water. Safest thing to do is use the package information and weigh it before squeezing out water.

She beat me to it.