Best percentage of carbs, protein and fat???

Options
I am trying to do this right what is the best mixture of carbs, protein and fats? My doctor wants me to do low carb more plant based but not sure what to set it at????

Replies

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I am trying to do this right what is the best mixture of carbs, protein and fats? My doctor wants me to do low carb more plant based but not sure what to set it at????

There is no "best". Each person will be different based on preferences and any medical issues.

Start out with the MFP defaults. Pay attention to what satisfies you more. Some are happier with more carbs, some with more protein, and some with more fat. As you learn more about what makes you happy, adjust accordingly.

For example: I am T2Dm and also have had my gallbladder removed. I need to eat moderate carbs in order to control my blood sugar but I cannot go keto or any other high fat diet because my lack of gallbladder means I do not process fats properly (not everyone without a gallbladder has this issue, but it happens). My happy place is 35% protein, 35% carbs, and 30% fat. It took a while to figure this out.

The most important thing is a macro mix that satisfies you, fuels your activity, and is food you enjoy.
  • dlee6914
    dlee6914 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    40% protein,40% fibrous carbohydrate and 20% starchy Carbohydrates.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    dlee6914 wrote: »

Oops! Where’s the fat?

Most plants are carb. Maybe the Dr. meant simple carbs, like added sugar.
    I second start with MFP defaults. If you are trying to lose weight, set up your goals on MFP. Concentrate on total calories and a balance of some protein, some fat, and some carbs from fruit and vegetables to start with. When you get the hang of logging and getting some balance, then you can decide what to change to best suit your needs.

Good luck with your new way of eating!
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options

Uh where's the fat?
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options

So 60% carbs and 40% protein? That's not healthy at all. You need some dietary fat.

OP, if your doctor wants you to follow a certain diet, then you need to ask your doctor for specifics, including a referral to an RD if needed. It sounds like your doctor has some particular dietary plan in mind and we have no way to know exactly what they meant by the advice they gave you.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    When I first started losing weight I stressed so much about getting the 'right' macro balance. There were so many options and so much conflicting advice online. Once I started reading the forums here I came to realise that I was stressing about nothing and it didn't really matter, as long as I was getting the minimum amounts of protein and fat.

I learned that there is no ideal ratio, but an approximate amount that works for you, your lifestyle, your satiety and any relevant medical situation. After time and experimentation, I found that for me they naturally sat at around 40% carbs, 25% protein and 35% fat. With this, I managed to lose over 60 pounds and have now maintained for over 2 years.

I would question your doctor further though because a mainly plant-based diet is typically not low carb!
  • BelleRequin
    BelleRequin Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Low carb plant based takes work, but it can be done. When the doc said *more* plant based- was that more than your current eating habits, or just a general comment?

Personally, I like 60f-27p-13c; but I have a family history of diabetes, and naturally do better on low carb, but don’t do well on keto (and while I eat a lot of veggies, I’m definitely getting most of my protein from animal sources)

If your doc says low carb, I would try starting w 30% carb and see how you do. (And your protein probably shouldn’t be more than 30%)
  • JBanx256
    JBanx256 Posts: 1,471 Member
    Options
    There isn't one "BEST" macro split. It's going to depend on your personal preferences and goals. My macro percentages are adjusted depending on where I am in my mesocycle/programming due to different requirements for what I'm trying to achieve.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

Low carb is most often considered to be 100g or less. But I've seen some places consider 150g or less as low carb. So pick somewhere in that range and play around with your percentages to get your carbs in there.

Typical recommendation for the other two are minimums: At least 0.6-0.8g of protein per lb of goal body weight, and at least 0.3g of fat per.

Macro percentages are mostly personal preference, as different people are satiated and energized by different macros and foods. There are some health conditions that require specific macro strategies, though.

If your goal is to lose weight, the most important thing is hitting your calorie goal. Regardless of what you eat, your weight loss/gain/maintenance depends on the calories. Low carb, plant based might be a strategy to make sticking to your calorie goal easier, or it may be health related, and hopefully your doctor explained why to you.

Good luck :drinker:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options

That's not very helpful advice, as more plant-based usually means more carbs (since beans and lentils are carbs, vegetables and fruit have carbs). Is there anything more specific given (like the doctor has reason to believe or assumes you are eating lots of lower nutrient high carb foods he/she wants you to cut down on or thinks you are not eating sufficient veg and fruit?). Was a reason given? More guidelines? Is it for weight loss or some other medical issue.

For weight loss it doesn't matter much, I'd focus on eating a healthful diet (for health reasons) and on what helps you stick to your calorie goal. I found it easier to cut back on added fat and starchy carbs (smaller serving size) when losing, as well as cutting back on snacky or dessert type foods that tend to be higher in both fat and carbs.

The MFP default is going to be fine for most, although I found myself falling into a 40-30-30 pattern naturally.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options

As others have said, because carbs are inherent in plant-based foods, this is confusing advice. Your doctor may well have meant less carbs from added sugar but should have specified. Ask for a referral to a registered dietitian (NOT a nutritionist.)
  • mom2kpr
    mom2kpr Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    You can do a plant based diet (see Mediterranean Diet/Blue Zones) and still keep your carbs reduced. I would get clarification from your doctor. For now a 40% carb, 35-40% fat and 20-25% protein, may be a good start.
  • Schila64
    Schila64 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    MFP has put me in 1200 cal . It’s only 4:00 pm, I have not had diner and I have already depleted my protein intake . I’ve only had : oatmeal for B, 3.5 oz of chicken breast + salad + steamed broccoli for L and a protein shake for snack . This don’t make sense