Soupy Season

Options
I am so psyched for the fall weather to start!!! It's still hot in Kansas, but Startbucks started their Pumpkin Spice Lattes and that marks the beginning of fall in my book!!!

Would anyone care to share their best soup recipes. If you can put some calorie info with it, that would be great!!!

Here is my contribution:

Taco Soup - a Police Department Favorite
2 cans diced tomatoes
2 cans red kidney beans
2 cans corn (no salt added)
2 cans diced potatoes
2 cans PETITE diced tomatoes
1lb ground beef, browned OR 1lb shredded chicken, ground turkey, veggie crumbles, etc...
2 packets taco seasoning
12-16 oz V8 or veggie juice

Take all ingredients and mix in a big soup pot. Don't drain the canned veggies, you need the liquid to make it soupy. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to simmer for 10-15 minutes so everything gets nice and cozy with the veggie juice and taco seasoning. Let stand for a few minutes off the heat, to thicken a little. Serve with shredded cheese, sour cream, tortilla or frito chips, or just a spoon.

I make this a little different every time. You can add extra veggies, take something out, throw in some rotel or chopped peppers and onions... its pretty much my go to easy meal recipe. Yummy leftovers, too!

My vegetarian version of this (no meat, add black beans) pulls in at 250 calories a serving (no cheese or other toppers). Yours might be different depending on what meats you add, or if you change up the recipe.

Can't wait to see what everyone shares!!!

Replies

• Heather3186
    Options
    Yum! Going to try this! Thanks!
  • annie_p
    annie_p Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    YUM! That sounds amazing. The only soupy thing I make is Creamy White Chicken Chili and that, I can pretty much guarantee is not good for the waist-line!
  • roseymacdoo
    roseymacdoo Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Great idea, I have a nice leek & potato soup recipe that I'll share when I get home, but replying now to bump!
  • destiny637
    Options
    Sounds so good! Yum!
  • 1a1a
    1a1a Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Piglet_26
    Piglet_26 Posts: 104
    Options
    Squash, chilli and coconut.......warm and filling at 140cals per 250ml serving :)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Piglet_26
  • cpegasus01
    cpegasus01 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Definitely BUMPING this recipe!
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • carrie1128
    carrie1128 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I love soup! I'll have to come back later and add some of my favorites. I do a minestrone, chicken and rice and french onion that I am looking forward to making again when it cools a bit.
  • TripleJ3
    TripleJ3 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    I love to roast butternut squash, an onion and a potato until soft. Then with an immersion blender I add 32 oz (or less) of low sodium chicken broth and about a half cup of milk.

The amounts vary and depending on my mood (I weigh my food every time then make the nutritional changes), lately I use only half a potato to lower the carbs. I love this soup because its so versatile and taste a little different every time. I get 5 servings from this then freeze them individually. At lunch time I add previously cooked turkey breast, fresh spinach and half an avocado.
  • dogwhisperette
    dogwhisperette Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    This does sound very tasty indeed! I am trying to watch my sodium but I can see some of the ingredients that can be altered to better allow for my sodium level. Thank you for sharing!
  • Kris0109
    Kris0109 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    bump
  • haylayne81
    Options
    bump.

Also, I make an AWESOME Buffalo Chicken Chili in the crockpot. Will post recipe tonight! :)
  • wedjul05
    wedjul05 Posts: 472
    Options
    I'm on the lookout for a nice, tastey bean soup recipe or a nice minestrone one. I've tried a few before but they just end up being bland and not alot of flavour. I love stewy type things and somewhat spicy.

Love winter food, must more filling than summer salads!
  • nehtaeh
    nehtaeh Posts: 2,977 Member
    Options
    I do a similar version of that taco soup - Love it!!

I love soup and cooking with my crock. I'm intersted to see more recipes. :smile:
  • nikkit321
    nikkit321 Posts: 1,485 Member
    Options
    Lasagna Soup

1 lb ground beef
    ¼ tsp garlic powder
    28 oz can Swanson Seasoned Beef Broth with Onion
    14 ½ oz can diced tomatoes
    ¼ tsp dried Italian seasoning
    1 ½ cup dry mafalda or corkscrew pasta
    ¼ cup parmesan cheese
    shredded mozzarella cheese, optional

Brown beef and garlic, drain. Stir the broth, tomatoes, and italian seasoning into the meat. Heat to a boil. Stir the pasta into the soup and cook over medium heat for 10 minutes until the pasta is tender. Stir in the parmesan cheese. Serve with mozzarella cheese if desired.

I've made this in the crockpot by browning the beef, then throw everything except the pasta into the crockpot and cook the soup on low for 4 hours. I add the pasta for the last 30 minutes of cook time.
  • limismith
    limismith Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    This does sound very tasty indeed! I am trying to watch my sodium but I can see some of the ingredients that can be altered to better allow for my sodium level. Thank you for sharing!

I was waiting for someone to mention the sodium!!! Yes, canned veggies have some sodium to them. It takes more time, but you can definately use fresh diced tomatoes, potatoes, and corn and just cook it a little longer until soft. Ad some water to make up for the liquid that would have been in the cans, so it can be soupy.

I used leftovers in this sometimes. Like leftover baked potatoes, or mixed veggies. It's a pretty good throw-in-the-sink soup, one of the reasons I LOVE IT!
  • nikkit321
    Options
    Tomato Soup

1 onion, chopped
    2 tablespoons butter
    2 cans of condensed cream of tomato soup
    1 ½ cups milk
    2 cans of chopped tomatoes (16 oz each)
    1 teaspoon sugar
    ½ teaspoon basil
    ½ teaspoon paprika
    ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
    8 ounces reduced fat cream cheese, cubed

Saute onions in butter until soft. Combine all ingredients except cream cheese:

Crockpot: cook on low for 4 hours.

Stovetop: bring to a boil, then simmer 10 minutes, covered.

Regardless of whether cooking in crockpot or on the stove, at the end of cook time, add cream cheese and continue to cook until melted.
  • nikkit321
    Options
    I love soup and make a pot every weekend during the fall/winter to have for lunch during the week. The problem is many of my favorites are heavy on cheese (velveeta) or other not-so-healthy items. Here's another one for you though:

White Chicken Chili

3-4 boneless/skinless chicken breast, or 3 cups cooked chicken
    2 cans (14 oz each) chicken broth
    48 oz jar great northern beans
    1 large onion, chopped
    2 teaspoons garlic, minced
    3 oz can chopped green chilies
    2 teaspoon ground cumin
    1 teaspoon oregano
    ¼ teaspoon chili powder
    1 cup salsa
    Options to serve: Mozzarella, sour cream

Combine everything in crockpot and cook on low for 6 hours, breaking up the chicken into bite-size pieces.

Stove-top: In a large pot, simmer onion and garlic in a small amount of broth until wilted. Add the chilies, then remaining broth and the beans with liquid. Mix in cumin, oregano, and chili powder. Add salsa. Bring to a boil, then add cooked chicken. Cover and simmer 30 minutes.
  • nehtaeh
    nehtaeh Posts: 2,977 Member
    Options
    I've made white chicken chili before and it didn't turn out, but will try this recipe. Sounds easy enough and looks like it will be good. Thanks!