No grain diet?

Options
A friend of mine has been following Dr. Mercola's No Grain Diet. Her and her husband have cut all grains and sugar out of their diet. They have been doing this for a month and when they had their bloodwork done both had dropped their blood pressure significantly. Her husband has had to add some notches to his belt and both talk about how much energy they have now. She has hereditary kidney disease and was looking at the possibility of a transplant down the road. Her kidney function has improved. I've discussed the diet some with her - what does she eat, how hard was it to cut out the sugar and grains... I'm still not sure how healthy this diet is. The dogma has long been that grains make up the largest portion of the pyramid (I know that it's changed now). She says they get their carbs from veggies rather than bread. I was wondering if anyone had any knowledge of this diet. I don't know if I could realistically cut sugar and grains from my diet. I just wanted to find out some more information and see if anyone had any experience with this approach to nutrition.

Replies

• coltrane23
    coltrane23 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Not familiar with that diet specifically, but I've been following Primal for the last 9 months or so, and I've dropped 60 lbs. and approx. 8 inches around my waist as a result. No grains, no legumes . . . all the meat and vegetables I can stuff my face with. Fruit, dairy, and nuts are limited, but I don't miss them. If you only drop grains from your diet and do nothing else, you will see significant results.
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I don't have experience with this particular diet but I do know that paleo type diets also cut grain out. Grain isn't required for good health and in fact there are quite a lot of us who have grain intolerances or allergies. I recently cut it from my life as well and have noticed I feel much better when I keep it out. If I've indulged in it I can tell by the way I feel. Marksdailyapple.com has lots of info on grain in the diet (or cutting it out of the diet) if you want more reading.
  • TankGirl71
    TankGirl71 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I just purchased a book called The Primal Blueprint. haven't had a chance to read much of it yet. You can get a taste of it by subscribing or visiting http://www.marksdailyapple.com
    The no grain thing is a huge part of this primal/paleo movement. I think there's something to it, and I like that TPB has an 80/20 rule. Do your best 80% of the time, knowing that life is going to get in the way 20% of the time. There will always be birthday cake, ya know?
  • whatsexercise
    whatsexercise Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I don't know about this diet, I would be careful doing it. I have a gluten allergy so I can't eat wheat, barley are malt. Once I started eating gluten free food, which has either corn, rice, potato and other flours instead of wheat I lost alot of weight. I have lost a total of 15 pounds by just eating the right food and staying within 1200 calories a day. I would give that a try first before going on a diet that really wouldn't reflect your normal eating habits. Jackie
  • sallywilson06
    sallywilson06 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I have heard of that diet before. A friend of mine is doing something very similar to it. She is going to Over Eaters Anonymous. They do just about the same thing. They have meetings 3 times a week and they cut out all sugars, starches and Carbs. She had a baby about a year ago and had gained 100lbs during her pregnancy. During her first month on the diet she lost 17lbs. within a total of 4 months she lost 60lbs and looks great. Never exercised, however she did have a 1 year old to chase around the house.

All I know is that the program is to teach you how to eat all over again and its a 12 step guide like the AA groups for alcoholics. They use that guide and also everyone has a sponsor that they have to call in to talk to every day to keep a strong support system going. There's a website for it just google it and it will come up.

Hopefully it helps.
  • luscadero
    luscadero Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I've been following a primal lifestyle for a while now, which is basically no sugar/grains. I feel a million times better, and weight is dropping off pretty much effortlessly, since I'm injured and can't really exercise right now. I get all my carbs from fruits, veggies, nuts, and seeds, usually around 60-90g per day. It's actually not hard at all because of how much better I feel (not bloated, lots of energy, not hungry). I have been off sugar for over a year already, except occasional honey/maple syrup, so it wasn't very difficult to cut out grains for a while and see how I felt. It's absolutely healthy, just eat a large variety of fruits and veggies. There is not a whole lot of nutritional value in grains, and it spikes your blood sugar, causing insulin resistance and a bunch of other problems in many people. Obviously, this isn't going to be for everyone, but as long as you feel better doing it, there is no danger in it. It is a drastic lifestyle change, however.
  • TKazNC
    TKazNC Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Doing something similar, Protein Power Life Plan by Drs. Eades. Since November of "10 I've lost 117 lbs as of today. I've been keeping pretty close to my 1700 cal/day goals and exercise 5 days a week. I was very surprised that cutting out breads and grains ( I do eat low carb tortillas thought) has been as easy as it has. I get most of my carbs from vegetables and fruit, usually <40 grams of carbs per day.

My energy has increased significantly and I really have felt great overall. My stamina has been excellent and my performance during mountain biking has not suffered. Win-win! Blood pressure has dropped and blood tests have all gone back to normal ranges. Can't say enough about this new life style. And it is a life-style, not a fad diet!

Good luck and I hope this or another eating plan works as well for you.

Cheers!
  • End6ame
    End6ame Posts: 903
    Options
    I switched to a paleo diet when my doc wanted to yank out my gallbladder, since then my gallbladder symptoms have gone and I started seeing greater fat loss within the first week.

I don’t know why people say that a paleo/primal style diet is not sustainable, yet they don’t give the same flack to vegans.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    I switched to a paleo diet when my doc wanted to yank out my gallbladder, since then my gallbladder symptoms have gone and I started seeing greater fat loss within the first week.

I don’t know why people say that a paleo/primal style diet is not sustainable, yet they don’t give the same flack to vegans.

People slag off atkins too, even though there are now a large number of studies of over two years long that show it as healthy. It follows similar lines to primal or a less strict paleo.

Just remember, a pound of muscle weighs more than a pound of fat, and people are really stupid when it comes to biology and physics.
  • End6ame
    Options
    Just remember, a pound of muscle weighs more than a pound of fat, and people are really stupid when it comes to biology and physics.
    LOL!!!
  • susanswan
    susanswan Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    I cut out sugar and white flours including white rice, white pasta, and limit white potatoes. I also switched to chicken and fish and more protein from plants. I've never felt better in my entire life! My substantial sugar/junk food craving stopped within about a week - 2 weeks. Have tons of energy. No afternoon slumps anymore. Sugar and white flour are killers for my energy and cause cravings. I'd rather not eat them. I do eat and love whole grains such as brown rice, quinoa. Whole wheat pastas I eat sparingly. Sandwiches (for the bread) are out of my vocabulary. I do notice that eating even whole wheat bread or ww pasta on a regular basis seems to stall my weight loss so I don't eat them on a regular basis. But I do eat a serving of whole wheat Triscuits usually once a day and or La Tortilla Factory high fiber "tortillas" - my vice. I don't know about the rest of you but eating lots of animal protein constipates me so easily. Although I have not tried to eliminate the grains in favor of more veggies yet. That could be the fix for that. Just relating my own personal experience. I think I just prefer to eat more plant based foods than animal protein - but the BBQ the other day was fantastic with lots of smoky meats, garlic bread, and birthday cake! = D
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    Count me in as being grain and sugar free. I have lost almost 60 pounds since February.

PMS symptoms are almost gone and my aunt flow has decreased dramatically = happier person to be around that time of the month.

I have more energy than I know what to do with everyday. I sleep better at night. No more IBS symptoms, no more acid reflux, no more diabetes and no more high blood pressure. My thyroid function is still healing but I am off medications.
  • stronglikebull
    Options
    Since November of "10 I've lost 117 lbs as of today.

That is amazing, less than a year! Congratulations!
  • nessajk
    nessajk Posts: 32
    Options
    I think the key for a lot of these types of diets is that they can vary both according to individual body needs and what you choose to fill the missing calories with. If you are eating primarily unprocessed whole grains and don't have any allergy issues, then you may not see a huge health benefit from eliminating all grains/carbs. You may drop weight just because you've eliminated a food group, but that doesn't make it healthy for you. Lots of whole grains are very good for heart health, too. If your carbs come from cheetos, then yes of course it would be good to eliminate. If you cut out all grains and replace the calories with butter and cheese and jerky, it's not going to be good for you either.

After trying various plans and the 17 Day Diet (which I did NOT enjoy), I've found (personally, this is just me) that the more whole, unprocessed foods I eat, the better I feel and more control I have over my weight. I also find this to be the most sustainable solution in my life. Again, that's just me.

I think it's good to check with your doctor who knows your particular health and body issues before making such drastic changes.
  • End6ame
    Options
    I think the key for a lot of these types of diets is that they can vary both according to individual body needs and what you choose to fill the missing calories with. If you are eating primarily unprocessed whole grains and don't have any allergy issues, then you may not see a huge health benefit from eliminating all grains/carbs. You may drop weight just because you've eliminated a food group, but that doesn't make it healthy for you. Lots of whole grains are very good for heart health, too. If your carbs come from cheetos, then yes of course it would be good to eliminate. If you cut out all grains and replace the calories with butter and cheese and jerky, it's not going to be good for you either.

After trying various plans and the 17 Day Diet (which I did NOT enjoy), I've found (personally, this is just me) that the more whole, unprocessed foods I eat, the better I feel and more control I have over my weight. I also find this to be the most sustainable solution in my life. Again, that's just me.

I think it's good to check with your doctor who knows your particular health and body issues before making such drastic changes.

Doctors know next to nothing about nutrition. You are better off doing your own research rather than trusting what a doctor or government says is good for you.
  • nessajk
    Options
    @ Greg:

Well, talk to a nutritionist then. They specialize and are current on the diets and more reliable than message boards.

Most research you will find yourself was conducted by doctors and/or government, so pick your poison, I guess.
  • marathonmom72
    marathonmom72 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Very interesting conversation. When I first started losing weight I cut all carbs except fruits and veggies and I lost almost 50 pounds. Since then, I've re-introduced some carbs - in limited amounts (I'm an insulin dependent diabetic) and despite exercise and counting calories my weight loss has come to a halt. It's nice that I've figured out how to maintain a weight over the last year, but I would like to lose another 20 pounds. I think this may be my wake up call to go back to what worked before!
  • End6ame
    Options
    @ Greg:

Well, talk to a nutritionist then. They specialize and are current on the diets and more reliable than message boards.

Most research you will find yourself was conducted by doctors and/or government, so pick your poison, I guess.

Most research is done by scientists, not primary care physicians.
  • nessajk
    Options
    @ Greg:

A lot of research of this type is done by MD/PhD's - they carry both degrees. Though no, not the physician you will see at your clinic.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    Doing something similar, Protein Power Life Plan by Drs. Eades. Since November of "10 I've lost 117 lbs as of today. I've been keeping pretty close to my 1700 cal/day goals and exercise 5 days a week. I was very surprised that cutting out breads and grains ( I do eat low carb tortillas thought) has been as easy as it has. I get most of my carbs from vegetables and fruit, usually <40 grams of carbs per day.

My energy has increased significantly and I really have felt great overall. My stamina has been excellent and my performance during mountain biking has not suffered. Win-win! Blood pressure has dropped and blood tests have all gone back to normal ranges. Can't say enough about this new life style. And it is a life-style, not a fad diet!

Good luck and I hope this or another eating plan works as well for you.

Cheers!

I :heart: :heart: :heart: Dr Eades!!!