Meal prep

Options
I’m new to meal prepping.
Exactly what is it?~ do you just cook and portion your entire menu for 7 days?

Replies

• Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    I don't cook and portion a menu for 7 days exactly. I am sure there will be many different answers but this is what I do to meal prep for me and my family. I usually roast a pan of protein, it could be pork tenderloin, fish or boneless skinless chicken breast or I cook up a bunch of ground beef. I then bake some potatoes or make a large pot of rice. I roast a bunch of different veggies. I cut up raw veggies. I hard boil a bunch of eggs. I make muffins, granola bars and cookies. I prepare several jars of overnight oats. How much will depend on who you are meal prepping for. Each person then dishes up their own meal. It took me a long time to find what works, but now I am lost if I don't have food prepared and I stress if I have to get something on the go. I find that takeout does not satisfy me as much as my own food.
  • RealWorldStrengthLLC
    Options
    I meal prep my breakfast and lunches, and rather than once a week I do Sunday and Wednesday so Friday at lunch I'm not eating chicken that sat in a Tupperware for 6 days.
  • Camaramandy648
    Camaramandy648 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    I have no idea how to do this successfully. My daughter is autistic so a VERY picky eater (though, she is improving every day) so she's out. My son will eat whatever I make. BUT WHERE THE HECK DO I FIND THE RECIPES AND WHEN DO I HAVE TIME TO SIT DOWN AND CREATE THE GROCERY ORDER. The idea of it stresses me out so bad that it's unreal.

Usually, I'll make the next day's breakfast and lunch the night before and then usually for dinner, I have an idea of what i'm going to make.
  • JennJ323
    JennJ323 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I love food prepping! It may take some extra time on the weekend, but it makes the hectic mornings before work a little bit easier!

I make my grocery list (and plan what my meals will be) the week beforehand.. get my list organized and go shopping Saturday or Sunday morning. Usually Sunday afternoon I'll spend an hour or so (depends on what I'm prepping) cooking up my meals. I do the same thing each day for breakfast & lunch, so I'm really just making big batches and dividing them into 5 separate meals. Then each morning before work I just grab the containers and am out the door. Makes logging easy too, since it's the same thing each day. Dinners are different each day and made fresh. But they are also planned out in advance, so I'm not scrambling at 6pm on what to make that night.
  • Dkenya2017
    Dkenya2017 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I find meal prepping frees me up during the week. I make huge batches on the weekend, portion out and freeze. I always have fresh salad stuff in the fridge. So I just add a salad to my lunches and dinners, or shiritaki noodles, or cauliflower rice. I usually make enough meals for 14 days - pasta less lasagne, chicken chilli, lamb cubes and Mediterranean veg, butter chicken, tuna cakes, beef and veg stew, slow cooked short ribs, pork roast with spinach and roast cauliflower etc. Options are endless.
  • sytchequeen
    sytchequeen Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I menu plan on Thursdays ready for doing the shopping Fridays.

Sundays I prep my workday breakfasts for the week.

Work lunch is aways made the night before.

Sometimes I batch cook at weekends and freeze my own ready meals - by checking my freezer list I can plan "convenience" dinners some nights a week. Other dinners are cooked from scratch when I get home, but by having my menu plan and all the stuff I need ready I don't have to think about it, just get on with it.

Just find a way that suits you. What WILL hold you back is zero plan and just winging it. That way the Take Away Menu lies... (not always a bad thing, just not too regular!)