Autoimmune & weight loss

Options
Anyone dealing with autoimmune disease and losing weight? I was diagnosed 2yrs who with Graves disease (body attacks thyroid causing it to be hyperthyroid). Now that I am on meds, though still not normal or in remission, I am finding it hard to loss weight, but keep gaining. I eat 1200 cal and walk approx 6-7 miles a week. I eat Whole Foods, few processed and little to no dairy, gluten, soy, or processed sugar.

Just wondering if anyone on a similar journey?

Replies

• mochapygmy
    mochapygmy Posts: 2,123 Member
    Options
    I don't have Graves but I know many find it difficult to lose weight until their thyroid numbers are in a normal/ optional range.

If you are symptom free, work with your dr to get good thyroid numbers. If you do have a lot of symptoms look into dietary changes. There isn't 1 medically accepted diet for autoimmune diseases but some have found cutting out all or some of the following to be helpful: gluten/ grain, dairy, soy, etc. Some have tried an elimination diet like AIP. Generally I think people shouldn't change their diet unless they don't feel well/ medication alone isn't managing their symptoms.
  • 1PoisonIvy
    1PoisonIvy Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    I had Graves and it is harder to lose now...not.only staying under 1200 but the food you are eating. Clean eating works best for me
  • Sharon009
    Sharon009 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I have Sjogrens and yes, I have a difficult time losing weight while eating healthy and exercising. I've come to accept that I'll only lose maybe a pound a month.
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    I have *several* autoimmune issues, but no problems losing weight when my meds are sorted. Or maybe I do and I just don't know because this is the way I've always been?

I have hypothyroidism from hashimotos disease, pernicious anemia, and I'm currently troubleshooting my body with my doctor to try and figure out why I suddenly also have iron deficiency anemia.

Steady state cardio seems to help me move my bodily fluids around enough not to retain water like crazy, which helps with the hypothyroid tendency to retain water if I even *think* about stepping outside my normal routine. Weight lifting helps me maintain muscle mass so that I can keep my BMR as high as possible, despite other handicaps.

The thing to remember about autoimmune troubles is that they travel in packs, and have similar or overlapping symptoms. Once your thyroid numbers are leveled out and stable, if you still have symptoms, go back and report the symptoms to your doctor. Don't provide any theories. Let the doctor try to work it out from scratch. The goal should be to find the source of the symptoms, not to get you to go away. Additional tests, and a basic blood panel might reveal other problems, like vitamin deficiencies that may be contributing to your woes.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    I personally don't have issues when I want to lose weight. Honestly I'm only worried about losing weight maybe a couple months of the year if that, but I cut very easily. Though I'm med free and that might be part of the issue you may be having.

How long have you been gaining and what is the trend?

Are you weighing your food with a food scale?
  • yelliezx
    yelliezx Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    I have ulcerative colitis and it was a lot of trial and error with weight loss in the beginning. I can't eat a lot of fibre and high fat doesn't make me feel too great either. I'm happy to say that I've lost 18lbs in the past 8 weeks though! I log religiously even when I don't want to, I eat maintenance on weekends when I need a break, I weigh everything, and I work out around 3 times a week. Also, I'm in remission right now but I know the struggles! Keep at it! You can do it.
  • Luke_rabbit
    Luke_rabbit Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    I think my maintenance steroids cause some water weight gain. Not as bad as the failed trial of immunosuppressants this past Summer. I do lose slowly and eat about 1200-1400 calories including exercise.
  • Iamfocusingonme
    Iamfocusingonme Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I have lupus sjogrens and mctd and yes it’s VERY hard to lose even when I’m sticking with my program