gastric bypass surgery

Options
Just wondering if anyone out there has had gastric bypass surgery?

Replies

• JoAnn73
    JoAnn73 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Yes, back in 92 or 93. If you have any questions feel free to ask, I am an opened book!:smooched:
  • cheekymonkeyface
    cheekymonkeyface Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Yes i had my gastric bypass surgery June 2010...

Why you asking? Curiosity or contemplating?
  • jewelrylady591
    Options
    Just wondering if anyone out there has had gastric bypass surgery?
    I have a friend that did and she had gained all of her weight back. :( If we don't eat right nothing works.
  • michaleegillmore
    michaleegillmore Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    My mom and step dad both had it done withing the last 5 years. They lost a bunch of weight but are almost back to where they started. I honestly think that it is because they didn't change their lifestyle, just the amounts they ate and they gradually stretched their stomach back out and can hold more food than it is supposed to again. I used to think it would be awesome to have any easier way to lose weight, but not after seeing if first hand. I am making a life style change rather than going on a diet and my children are learning better eating choices by myself and my husband doing this.
  • gabi2707
    gabi2707 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi i had gastric bypass april of 09 went in at 420 and im now down to 225 right now im trying to lose about another 30lbs. best thing i ever did, the first year the surgery did all the work now that im abiut 2 1/2 years out its now me doing most of the work...feel free to ask any questions,,,:)
  • beach_bum_gurl
    Options
    Yes, I had a RnY in 2006. Here is my story~

About 8 years ago, one of my close friends had surgery. At the time, I told her, "you are so brave, I could never do this". Why did I say this? Well, where do you think the minority of the patients that DO have complications come for treatment??? Why, the ER of course. And as an ER nurse all I ever saw were the complications, not the successes. The successes are by far the larger number of patients.

About 5 years ago, however, I saw how my friend had had such a success with her surgery, and I had continued to struggle with my weight (which I have been doing since childhood- when I was 8, I weighed 167 pounds, a memory crystallized in my head, getting on the scale at the doctor's office and when I was 12, I lost 18 pounds down to 182 and my parents got me contacts--was supposed to lose 20 but they caved, and after I got the contacts the weight came right back on). I have been on almost every diet out there and could loose weight, but even after losing some weight I would still technically be considered overweight, but then I would gain it back and tack on 20+ more pounds. I also was having a harder time just doing activities of daily living without expending a great amount of energy, becoming short of breath with simple activities such as taking a flight of stairs, and noticing little things like ankle swelling, which at 35 WAS NOT NORMAL. I also had a picture taken at that time for a photo ID (see my profile if you want to see the pic~ it is in my pictures) and could not believe that that person was me. My weight was so OUT.OF.CONTROL. I knew that I had to make a change, and nothing in the past had worked long term for me. So, I went to a information session offered by my friend's surgical group.

I learned a lot about the surgery, the statistics, the complication rate, which by the way, is not higher than other abdominal surgeries for most people. I also learned that for those people who are classified as morbidly obese, having a Body Mass Index of between 30% and 49%, the success rate for long term success has been shown to be as high at 93%. I liked my odds with that one. I also was fairly healthy despite my weight at the time, but I knew that if I continued that there were many co-morbidities (diabetes, high blood pressure, etc). that could be coming my way with age.

The process prior to surgery and then therapy after surgery was as important to my success as the surgery was, IMO. There are a lot of "head" issues that need to be dealt with as well. The surgery was just a tool to get me started and now that I am 5 years out I have to "buckle down" and do the hard work to maintain. One of the wonderful things that I have noticed after surgery is that I know when to stop. Physically now, I feel full. I had lost this ability to feel satiety prior to my surgery. Also, since surgery, probably due to the decrease in my grehlin, I do not feel physical hunger. Yep, that's 5 years without physical hunger. Now head hunger is another issue. It is the devil, and I really have to watch out for this still. However, as I said before, therapy post-op is so important to success, IMO. I have learned in therapy strategies to help with the head hunger. Most all of my meals are planned now. I eat every 3-4 hours. I am maintaining 5 years out , actually I am losing...I want to lose a few more just because :)

My life is so much better since the surgery. There are so many simple things in life that I now enjoy that I could not before...crossing my legs, sitting comfortably in a booth, running, wearing a 2 piece bathing suit, having men pause to open doors for me, having salespeople help me when I shop for clothes...the list goes on...

You will find many people on this site saying surgery is the easy-way out. Well, it is not. Yes, the weight comes off, but there are certain rules that you have to follow to be successful. Protein first, no drinking with meals, planning your meals, eating every 3-4 hours, exercising... However, I weighed the risks vs. the benefits and decided that it was right for me.

Surgery was the best decision I have ever made. However, that being said, I tell people that it is a very personal decision, and it may not be right for them. I encourage anyone who may be interested to do your research...and then decide!
  • kikkipoo
    kikkipoo Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    7 years post op here from RNY. Went from 320 to 145 and now fluctate around 165. I have seen people gain it all or close to it back, but I don't know how that is possible. I can't even come close to eating like I used to. But, feel free to ask away if you have questions. It's not a decision to take lightly. You will have to work at it and you will have to give things up, but it can and will change your life.