i am always way over my carb totals?

Options
MJ7910
MJ7910 Posts: 1,280 Member
did anyone else notice this and what are some good ways to decrease it?

Replies

• melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Gosh, I find the default settings on MFP to be on the high side for carbs!

Can't see your diary - can you identify the main "culprits"?
  • MJ7910
    Options
    i'm sure it's because i love pasta and grains... i just can't stop eating them! but i cannot find any foods satisfying that aren't high in carbs. i end up just craving carbs and not feeling full with anything else i eat.
  • Britt22706
    Options
    Depending on what type of exercise you are doing, you may need the extra carbs.

<http://www.mylifestylediet.com/goodcarbs_badcarbs.php&gt;

Here is some good information on the type of carbs you should eat lots of, and others that you should limit
  • melaniecheeks
    Options
    Well, eat less of them :smile:

Instead of toast or cereal for breakfast, go for eggs, bacon, ham, smoked fish.

Instead or a sandwich for lunch, have soup or a salad.

Pile more veg into your pasta sauce, and cut down the amount of pasta.
  • genxrider
    genxrider Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I'm always over on protein and under on carbs. I generally don't eat any breads and pasta is not one of my faves.

Cut out breads to start and see what happens.
  • mamamia05
    mamamia05 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    my fav way to use less carbs if my sugar is higher than norm (diabetic) is if your having a sandwich say, you can eliminate the bread and use romaine lettuce leafs..nice and crunchy! spaghetti squash works well in place of pasta too ;-)
  • teasie0616
    teasie0616 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I think MFP is on the high side for carbs too. I used to think that I need carbs to feel full or satisfied, but really I just needed to alter my eating habits. I still have carbs (fruit, whole wheat pasta on occasion, whole grain bread), but eat more lean proteins and vegetables. This keeps me full and gives me lots of energy.
  • ckspores
    ckspores Posts: 52
    Options
    I would look at how much protein vs. carbs you have in your diet. I was majorly addicted to carbs until I realized that I never felt quite full because I ate very little lean protein.
  • MJ7910
    Options
    i really am not a huge fan of protein... i pretty much don't like meat too much at all. so it's been hard for me to figure out how to get protein. i guess i've always been a bit of a carb addict too.
  • melaniecheeks
    Options
    I'd start by working on your snacks - they're packing an awfully big carb punch. Lose the granola bars and move to:

almonds
    roast soy beans
    boiled egg
    string cheese
    slice of ham
    seafood sticks
    celery with peanut butter
    2 rice cakes with spready cheese
    wasabi peas
    humous and carrot sticks
    good quality chocolate (in moderation)

If you're insisting on frozen ready meals for lunch (and there's much better options....) make sure you examine the carb contents on them, and pick a lower one. But hone made soups or salads would be a healthier choice.

Be creative - experiment! And good luck :smile:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Beats me. I'm usually way under! If you eat a lot of fruit then I'd say that could be the culprit. I've always been more of a veggie person, but I've noticed I come much closer to the carb goal when I eat fruit.
  • Pangui
    Pangui Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't sweat it. Carbs are a wonderful way to feel full and satisfied. You have to be careful to distinguish between the healthier varieties (like fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and legumes) and the unhealthy varieties (white bread, white pasta, processed flours, sugar, junk food, etc.). If you are eating good foods that are healthy for you, you shouldn't have to limit them.
  • MJ7910
    Options
    my biggest problem is i dont have a lot of time. granola bars are so convenient b/c i work a lot and have a 1 year old. i don't really have time to boil eggs and my SO hates the smell of that and any fish or seafood (which isn't my favorite anyway), and i am not a huge fan of meats and fish for the most part. i could increase the peanuts/beans and stuff like that. that would be doable. and i could eat more veggies. celery with peanut butter is a good idea.
  • melaniecheeks
    Options
    You dont have time to boil eggs????

It takes 10 minutes sometime over the weekend - I often have a soft boiled egg for breakfast at the weekends, and add 2 or 3 more eggs to the pan and let them cook hard. They keep in the fridge and are ready to go whenever. They don't smell.