Fell off the wagon..

Options
I’ve fallen off the wagon, bad. I’ve been really stressed and not caring about my food choices. I’m fully aware of what I’m eating when I do it.. but I’m too emotionally weak/ tired to care. I was doing good for awhile but then stalled.. so I’m assuming that had something to do with it too and got discouraged. I’ve been avoiding the scale for a few weeks and just stepped on it this morning.. up 5 pounds. I feel like that just made my stress level go up. I have so many different things going on in my life and I can’t fully commit to ANYTHING. It feels like self sabotage. Zero motivation.

I need a reset.. any suggestions? Sorry for rambling.. I have no one to talk to..

Replies

• COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    I’d also point out that you don’t need special food to lose weight. You mentioned not caring about your food choices. I don’t know if you were thinking of what or how much (or both), but as long as your calories are in check, you’ll still lose weight. For me, food is where I save time and effort first when things get hectic. I’ve lost about 60 pounds and maintained that for almost 4 years now. When things get busy, I am first in line for frozen dinners, takeout and delivery! Just watch your choices and your portions and you’ll get through your crazy time. Then when things calm down, you can get back to a better routine.
  • ellie117
    ellie117 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    OP you're definitely not alone! I fell off this year and gained back 20lbs - at least you caught it at 5lbs!

What is keeping me motivated this time is the upset feeling I have at myself right now for waiting so long to get back on track. 6 months from now you will be so glad and proud of yourself for getting back into it rather than spending those 6 months hating yourself.

You can do it!
  • amy19355
    amy19355 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    The older I get , the more easily I can see how overweight and out of shape is a recipe for a really crappy retirement plan.

Look around at the general population. The world is increasing in general obesity; it's written about all the time; our kids are at risk before they ever reach adulthood.

Losing weight by Eating smart is not hard to do, it just takes some attention and planning, and commitment. MFP logging really helps me with this.

Getting in shape is harder when it hasn't been regular practice, but, it is possible.

My best buddy once said to me " practice sitting alot of the time, and you'll get so good at it that you'll never walk again".
    I threw out my couch the next day. (seriously, I do not own a couch, just a few straight back chairs.)

I get all the practice sitting that I need while at the office 40 hours a week.

good luck to you, and good fitness to us all!
  • jessackerman21
    jessackerman21 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone <3
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    apullum wrote: »
    There’s no wagon.

Sometimes we can prioritize weight loss; sometimes we have other mental or physical health needs that have to take priority for a while. That’s what has been going on for you lately. You have other needs that you should look after before focusing on weight loss.

I would recommend considering whether a counselor might be able to help, and eating at maintenance until you’ve addressed your other needs and can focus on weight loss.

Yes, what wagon? I see people talk about it a lot, i have just never seen it. Pick up where you left off and move. Never stop moving. Idle minds and hands can be destructive.
  • kristen8000
    kristen8000 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Can I suggest some YouTube Vlogs I think you'd get some benefit out of?

I started watching a fitness trainer named Jordan Syatt recently. I love the way he "puts things". I like his videos on nutrition more than fitness, but he's a coach and had various clients with exactly these worries.

He always says "You can't "kitten" this up". Yes, you can over eat, but you also have the power to get on track again. I recommend you find him and watch. He's helped me wrap my brain around scale fluctuations and calorie counting and it's ok to "mess up" but what's most important is that you get back in the game.
  • slbbw
    slbbw Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I with the no wagon crew. Weight loss is stressful, literally on your body. Acute stress coming from other areas can be the proverbial camel. Your mental health is taking priority right now. Are there any small habits you can focus on to keep things stable until you are ready to recommit to weightloss. Setting strict goals in the midst of life stress is difficult. But maybe movement helps you with stress overall,so commit to getting some movement in per day. Commit yourself to one positive self-care thing per day. Focus on just increasing your positive self talk, and when you are ready to re-prioritize weight loss it will be there. Weight gain is not a moral failing and weight loss is not a moral success. It is also not a black or white scario. health is on a continuum, with baby steps still counting.