Confused! Post-menopause weight loss possible?

Options
I have to lose this weight and get stronger! I am so sick of my back problems and I know if I lose weight (ultimate goal of a 35lb loss) it will help. I've yo-yo dieted/exercised for decades and now I'm just confused and am struggling to figure out how to reach my goals. I've worked out with trainers who always tell me I need to eat more. I eat more and gain more weight regardless of how much I work out. I'm vegan and try to eat as much protein as possible. I stopped drinking beer and actually gained weight (huge disappointment...I love my craft beers). I'm fairly active owning a horse farm with 3 horses. I swim and run. My job requires me to be on my feet and moving.
BUT I am post-menopausal. This seems to be the game changer. Things that have worked in the past no longer work.
So, what is your advice? It's still calories in vs. calories out, right? That's the bottom line isn't it? I find myself wanting to make sure I eat enough (like past trainers have said), but I am beginning to think I need to be cutting way back.
I'm also working on finding a good way to balance getting more fit (especially core strength) and not hurting my back further. Advice?

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Read this thread, @3greyhorses. Do those things. You'll get there!

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

There's also a podcast I listen to, Half Size Me. She talks about post-menopausal weight loss quite often.
  • caprihana
    caprihana Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    You may also find that your estrogen levels have a lot to do with it. I'm part of a group of women who have had the same problem, so I know where you're coming from, but we're fighting back!
  • lois1231
    lois1231 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I am in menopause and am losing weight. It is not as easier as when I was younger but it can be done.
  • sarasherrill
    sarasherrill Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Have some bloodwork done to find out what your body may have to much or too less of. Hormones can effect it. Research foods that help balance hormones and you'll be fine.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    Just to add another voice of encouragement :) I was 65/66 when I lost 50 pounds, and I've kept the weight off for a year and a half. My method was to aim for a slower rate of loss, making sure to track all my food using a food scale. I found the weight came off pretty much the same way it had when I was younger as long as I was in top of the tracking.