Should I change my goal in the middle

Options
I looked at my BMI the other day and realized that if I quit at 165 (which is my current goal) and just .6 lbs away from being in a healthy range. Now, the problem is, the last time I was under 165 I didn't look healthy. So, I have been struggling to decide if I should just increase my goal to an additional 5 lbs lost (to weigh 160 at the end) or just stick to what I think makes sense.

My husband said that maybe I should shoot for my current goal, and reevaluate when I get to it. But, what do you all think?

Replies

• MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    I hate when men are right, lol! x
  • HowardRose
    HowardRose Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    It's your personal goal. You decide. If you think you should lower it, change it. I have changed my goal a few times now.
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    I agree with your husband -- reevaluate when you get there. And reevaluate before you get there, even. If you get to a point where you're feeling like you're getting too thin, stop losing. Then if you feel like you really could stand to lose a bit more, go for it. Don't think of your goal as a fixed point -- think of it more as a lighthouse to guide you in the right direction. The actual landing might be somewhere else.
  • kneeki
    kneeki Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Why didn't you look healthy? You can't be /that/ tall... =p
  • adamcf
    adamcf Posts: 126
    Options
    readjusting goals is good, but only when you are learning more about what is healthy. BMI isn't very scientific. It's only a measuring tool and doesn't reflect an accurate health target of any kind. The biggest factor in finding a healthy goal is to pay attention to what you feel is healthy. Also, I've found that listening to my spouse is most helpful.
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    definately reevaluate once you get to your current goal.

But after that I think you should shoot for a different goal. Don't base it on teh scale.

go get your Body Fat percentag measured and then look to decrease that by 5% or whatever seems healthiest. that is what I am currently trying to do.
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    Are you doing strength training? You can still weight 165lb but look 145lb and have a great body.
  • Sarahbara76
    Sarahbara76 Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    You know your body and (so does your hubby) you know when you look and feel your healthiest, I know my other half thinks I look sickly if I get around 129 pounds which is 8 pounds from what I weigh currently. He is the only one who matters when it comes to liking how I look other then me so I trust him.
  • cookie241
    cookie241 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Just out of interest how tall are you. My goal at the moment is set to 140 and i'm 5' 6" i'm not sure that 140 is realistic for me as i think i have a large frame and at the moment can't seem to get under 160. I'm also considering reevaluating my goal i think its up to you how to decide your own goal as other as have said you know your body others don't.
  • NaomiLyn15
    NaomiLyn15 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Just out of interest how tall are you. My goal at the moment is set to 140 and i'm 5' 6" i'm not sure that 140 is realistic for me as i think i have a large frame and at the moment can't seem to get under 160. I'm also considering reevaluating my goal i think its up to you how to decide your own goal as other as have said you know your body others don't.

I am 5'8" but have really dense bones. I know that is what people always say, but it is true for me. Right now I weight 176 and realistically look 156. I always look 20 pounds lighter than I actually am because I have really really dense bones. Doctors are amazed by them, and because they are so dense, it messes up quite a few x-rays that i have had. So, reaching 165 I am going to look a bit skinny (even without toning up), so I guess I will see.
  • Bluestar083
    Options

I am 5'8" but have really dense bones. I know that is what people always say, but it is true for me. Right now I weight 176 and realistically look 156. I always look 20 pounds lighter than I actually am because I have really really dense bones. Doctors are amazed by them, and because they are so dense, it messes up quite a few x-rays that i have had. So, reaching 165 I am going to look a bit skinny (even without toning up), so I guess I will see.
    Ok I'm jealous! I am small framed, 5'9'' and weigh 55kg (121lb), when I am my usual weight 53kg (116lb) people think I am 120-130lb. Sigh. You just can't win!
    I think 140lb is very realisitic, if you go to the gym and have small, defined, muscles :D