Arthritis and Joint Pain

Options
Hello everyone, I'm looking for some suggestions for soothing arthritis and joint pain. I've got osteoarthritis in my hands, knees, ankles/feet. The pain in my hands has become unbearable as of late. I use my hands alot for work (writing and typing as well as lots of driving). I am currently taking Tylenol Arthritis and I just started taking Glucosamine Chondroitin with MSM for joint pain. Does anyone have any other suggestions for me? I do have a doctors appointment next week on an unrelated issue so I'll ask him for suggestions but I figure some of you may have some personal experiences with this. Thanks in advance 😊

Replies

• snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I also take supplements, but the very best remedy for me is movement. I swim and do acquagym 3x a week, plus stretching, yoga, and some gym work (strength training). It hurts a lot at first, but then gets better and I can manage now without anti-inflammatory drugs. I'm 65 and have had this for years. Many friends and family have had hip and knee replacements--I'm still OK. Loosing weight will help also. Good luck.
  • kosseychick
    kosseychick Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    @snowflake954 thanks for the suggestions😊. I do hit the pool when I'm in town. I will look into the stretching and yoga for when I'm out of town working.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    Strength training has many benefits including reducing pain for those with osteoarthritis, autoimmune disease, and other chronic pain disease.

It took me a few months to figure out the right dosage for me of useful stress of strength training. Now I also train others that have similar issues as well.

My hands are far less painful and Iexperience less swelling than when I didn't resistance train.

I'm also med free other than Advil the morning before training.

There are many of us that will testify the benefits of strength training to combat pain from disease.
  • kosseychick
    Options
    @Chieflrg I'll take a look online and see if I can find some info on strength training and arthritis for suggestions. Thanks for the idea😊
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    I have osteoarthritis and use Puritans Pride Glucosamine, Chondroitin, MSM Joint Soother. It really helps. I've already had three joints replaced. I was having a lot of pain with my left hand and hip and this supplement absolutely limited the discomfort and pain.

Good luck!
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    Let me say that swimming or other aquatic exercises (water aerobics or aqua-bike) are great for anyone who has joint pain. I have suggested water aerobics to a number of people, and they mostly defer, saying "that's for old people." Well, duh, there's a reason that older people use it to stay in shape: it works.

(I have arthritis in my feet and thumbs, which is classically where it starts.)
  • amy19355
    amy19355 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I've been doing this hand exercise at least once a day for the past two months and it has made a huge difference.
    Previously I could not hold much of anything for very long without pain, or numbness and tingling, or dropping things. It's five minutes long - https://youtu.be/H6y0D_8kRoU - try it.

In addition - I work at a computer all day. One of the tools I use to reduce keyboard use is Dragon Professional voice-2-text software. It's flipping amazing how well it works (don't compare to siri, it's not the same). Costs about $300 and the company paid for it.

good luck to you!

• beckyrpl
    beckyrpl Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Hey there, Kossychick - I have arthritis in my feet. It's definitely a bummer, especially since I used to run - a LOT. Now I only run maybe once a week. all of the suggestions above are good - I have a recumbent seat bike I use a lot now, as it's a lot easier on my feet. I also use a prescription cream called Voltaren - I use it on my feet, and it really helps. I know my Dad uses it on his knees, as he has arthritis in his knees. Ask your Dr. about this. I also take a lot of Epsom Salts bathes - really helps. Best of luck to you!
  • kosseychick
    Options
    Thanks everyone for all your suggestions! I'll look into each and every suggestions.😊
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Let me say that swimming or other aquatic exercises (water aerobics or aqua-bike) are great for anyone who has joint pain. I have suggested water aerobics to a number of people, and they mostly defer, saying "that's for old people." Well, duh, there's a reason that older people use it to stay in shape: it works.

(I have arthritis in my feet and thumbs, which is classically where it starts.)

I'd just like to mention that yes, I'm old now (65), but I started acquagym 23 yrs ago. We have a wide range of ages participating and now we have 3 men. Just one started and more are joining him. One older guy could hardly walk in last year, but this year he's looking better, walking better too. Water is great for OA. It limbers me up along with my stretching routine and regular swimming. Don't sell it short.
  • Anabirgite
    Anabirgite Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Motion is Lotion... Quoting my orthopedist... While I will never run again (and it is my own darn fault).Arthritis in knee... Spinning is wonderful- twice a week, and I spent more than 3 months doing wall sits during Les Mills Body Pump instead of doing squats and lunge tracks ( honestly squats and lunges may be easier) , have built up my thigh and surrounding knee muscles so I can now do squats and lunges. My orthopedist definitely recommended any water aerobics, swim etc... classes. If I wasn't so vain about coloring my hair I would be jumping in.