Can you “look” a lot lighter than you actually are?

Options
Wasn’t sure where to post this but I’ve been working out (specifically) for about 2 years now and I get a lot of comments that I look “lighter” than I actually am. To put in context, I am currently 24yrs, 5’3 and 130lbs. I’m still on my fitness journey and have a goal of 122lbs. However, with all the comments I’ve been getting, I might just start maintaining at this weight. Thoughts? mnkasw5k94dh.jpeg

Replies

• Healthamz
    Healthamz Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I meant to say “specifically weight lifting”
  • cupcakesandproteinshakes
    Options
    Scale is just a number. You can maintain for a while and continue with strength training and see what happens. There’s a body builder I know from a fb group who is same height as me but 40 pounds heavier. She’s totally ripped but technically obese if you go by her bmi. She looks amazing imo.
  • kristen8000
    kristen8000 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    My mom looks a lot light lighter than she is.

I'm 5'11, she's 5'4. She weighs 2lbs more than me and we wear the same size clothes. I always joke with her that she must not have known at one point in her life that they did a surgery to put rocks inside her.

Scale is just a number. If you feel good and you look good (and you do), stop concentrating on the scale and keep doing what you are doing. You get to a point in this that the scale doesn't matter. What matters is how you feel.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Our bodies all differ, I am 20lbs heavier than my best friends, they're same height but we have different body compositions - I look just as slim as them. Muscle does account for a lot of that composition though.
    The scale is just a number. You look FAB btw :smile:
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    Options
    No one else knows the number on the scale unless you tell them what it is. It's just a number. If you feel healthy and comfortable, then you have reached your goal even if it isn't the magic number you thought it would be.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    Yes. I don't look like what I weigh, either.

You look terrific. No reason to chase that 122 lbs.

Yes!! And yes they can... body building is just an illusion.
  • cbstewart88
    cbstewart88 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    You look great!!! Be happy!! When I was younger - at 5'4" I weighed 136lbs. and it was a perfect weight for me. Looked and felt great in my clothes and naked. LOL. Trying to get down to that weight again - but at 64 years old now, it looks like I'm going to be stuck around 142lbs .... :(
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    I've always been heavier than people thought I looked (other than when I was at my heaviest at which time they might have believed it - but I wasn't willing to discuss it LOL). I'm interested to see where I land on the scale - my goal weight is what I used to weigh pre-desk job, but I've been doing a LOT of focused weight training, and while I was always strong, I was never doing focused lifting. I may end up landing a bit heavier, but hard to say at this point.

If you're happy with how you look and feel, stay where you're at. If you'd like to trim up some more, do so.
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    I think you look fabulous 💖
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I think I've always looked a little lighter than I am. Now, probably less so since I'm very wide hipped and tall, people know I'm not <150 lb and I'm lean enough I don't think anyone would guess me >180, either. I'm in the 170 range and look it, IMO.

I know some friends/family truly do NOT believe me when I say that I was a bit over 300 lb at one point, even with lots of photos, because they have the idea in their head of what that would look like and it's bigger than I looked. Weight distribution can be so funny that way and it doesn't really matter anyhow.

OP you look awesome btw.