Tomato smoothie

Options
lausa22
lausa22 Posts: 467 Member
I loooveee tomato's and I was feeling hungry and I thought about making a tomato smoothie;
With ice, tomato juice and tomato's.

I looked it up and found out it WAS a real thing! I'm not just having crazy cravings haha.

Does anyone drink tomato smoothie's or tried it before? I'd like to know if they taste nice :-)

Replies

• atomdraco
    atomdraco Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    Try it and let me know. :-)
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    Probably similar to V8.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest maybe making it sort of like a bloody mary without the booze? Perhaps blend in some celery....a bit of tobasco for spice...or a chili pepper...perhaps a bit of garlic...could be good!
  • lausa22
    Options
    I think I'll make one tomorrow.

Yeah I got told to put some sort of chilli powder or tobasco sauce in it for flavour. I'll just see what I can throw in.

You think tomato and carrot would be nice?
  • reddebsings
    Options
    it SOUNDS good to me - however, since i'm having to limit my sodium, it might not be a viable option for me!
  • atomdraco
    atomdraco Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    I found this recipe online which looks really good to me:

http://easyveggie.blogspot.com/2009/04/i-started-my-morning-with-this.html

"I started my morning with this refreshing tomato smoothie. I just need 1 cup of sliced tomatoes; I love cherry tomatoes the best but I have only beef steak tomatoes, 1 cup of vanilla yogurt, 1 cup of vanilla soy milk and some honey to taste. Mix all ingredients in blender until smooth and... voila ~ a super easy and tasty smoothie!!"
  • lausa22
    Options
    it SOUNDS good to me - however, since i'm having to limit my sodium, it might not be a viable option for me!
    I think the tomato juice would be high in sodium, so I'd probably only use a little of that and more fresh tomato.
    I'm just hoping it will be filling, so I could possibly have it for a breakfast haha
  • starracer23
    starracer23 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    I don't like tomatoes...so I think this is one that I definitely won't be trying.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    I think the tomato juice would be high in sodium, so I'd probably only use a little of that and more fresh tomato.
    I'm just hoping it will be filling, so I could possibly have it for a breakfast haha

I would just use enough fresh tomato to get the juice content you need, then you don't have to worry about sodium etc. And to your other comment, I do think carrot would work nicely in that :smile:
  • reddebsings
    Options
    i even looked into low sodium V8 and tomato juices - but they still have too much sodium for me - but i may try using only fresh tomatoes and "no salt" salt substitue - and maybe some of the additional spices mentioned on here to bump up the flavor!

I would just use enough fresh tomato to get the juice content you need, then you don't have to worry about sodium etc. And to your other comment, I do think carrot would work nicely in that :smile:
  • timboman365
    timboman365 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    The best thing about smoothies is you can be as creative as you want. Think of V8 juice and all the ingredients that are in there yet you only taste the tomato. Try adding a tablespoon of Bob's Redmill 10 grain cereal to add some fiber and whole grains to your diet or slip in an avocado. I don't think I've ever made the same smoothie twice yet am pleased with 95% of the outcome, though my family would disagree.
    ts