Shin pain

Options
I have just began working out at the gym this past week. I'm new to this fitness stuff. When walking on the treadmill, I've been getting severe shin pain (or shin splints). What are some good ways to stop that or make it easier on my legs to work out? :ohwell:

Replies

• aphaake
    aphaake Posts: 5
    Options
    The most important thing is to make sure you are wearing good shoes. Go get fitted at a running specialized store and they will make sure you are wearing the proper footwear, even if you're just walking now. Next, ice is always the best treatment. You can also look online for stretches geared towards shin splints. Another thing to try is to wear compression socks at night or to bed to help the blood flow. Hope that helps!
  • kslindner
    kslindner Posts: 107
    Options
    I just started getting them and I have been working out since March... Very strange, but yah, if anyone has any advice on how to get rid of these, PLEASE let us know!!!
  • krazeestraw
    krazeestraw Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I used to tensor bandage my shins when I played volleyball, but that was years ago. I've heard sitting with your toes pointed and spelling out the alphabet with your feet is supposed to help.
  • lizsmith1976
    lizsmith1976 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I have read on here before (and it also works for me!) that a good cure is to sit in desk chair - so this can also be done in office - and raise your legs horizontal to the floor and spell out all of the letters of the alphabet with your feet. I think this works because it stretches your muscles around your shins in all directions and also gets you used to using those muscles.
  • patti2852
    Options
    Stretch, Stretch, Stretch...When I started walking the shin pain was terrralbe but a Kine I work with showed me a great stretch and I would stop 5 min in and do it and then when ever I needed to I would stop and stretch. I now don't have the pain and only have to strech at the end of my one hour walk.
  • Losing2Live69
    Losing2Live69 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I got shin splints real bad when I first started working out. The first thing I did was get a pair of well fitting shoes. I got professionally fitted for a pair of Brooks. The fitting doesn't cost anything. Brooks are expensive, but they are one of the best shoes you can get. Just get a good, solid shoe that provides a lot of support.

I ended up having to go to the doctor. They got so bad I could barely walk. I kept walking even though I was hurting. That was a big mistake!! Listen to your body. If you are in pain...bad pain, then you need to back off. Start with baby steps. I ended up having to go to the doctor mine got so bad. She prescribed anti-inflamatories and recommended the RICE treatment method. That is Rest, Ice, Compression, and Elevation. I can't express enough about listening to your body. You may have to start with a short distance and build up. I didn't listen to my body and I ended up having to completely stay off of my feet for 2 weeks. Good luck. Don't get frustrated...you will get there!
  • unhinge
    unhinge Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I used to have severe shin pain (splints) when I walked. Make sure you do a good warm up and then a good stretch of the shin before you get into the workout and then a good stretch after you finish. Good shoes will also help, like the earlier post recommended, get fitted for good running shoes. Loads of info on the internet for good stretching. Good luck :)