What is a good Carb Max number (in grams) to aim for daily?

Options
My current goal is 165 g of carbs each day. Is this too high?? I know that from talking to people who do low carb - no carb that this number is ridiculously high. However, I am not focusing on the very low 20g of carbs a day type diet right now, b/c I don't want to sabotage myself by going into serious carb withdrawal like before. So, with that said, what number have you guys set for your goal and received great results?

Replies

• 0SimplymeStacyLea0
    Options
    I've been trying to stay at 100-120. Seems like a good number for me with the protein and fiber I take in. I guess it all depends on the person. Good luck!
  • worldhurdler
    worldhurdler Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    This is the reference I use to monitor my daily carbs:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/the-primal-carbohydrate-continuum/

I personally typically hit less than 150g/day, with my "standard" amount being in the 100g-120g range.
    I think it's really easy to do, and easy to maintain long-term.
    Hope that helps!
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    I would be in a coma with that many carbs -- well depending on what you're getting them from.
    My settings are 45% protein, 25% carb, 30% fat -- so carbs usually around 80-100.
  • Brandi_Lei
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback people!! I am definitely going to readjust my Carb goal. Wish me luck and Pray for me!! :) Please! LOL!!
  • hawaiianmegan
    hawaiianmegan Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    From what MFP calculated for my and my goals, I was at 165g of carbs as well based on my 1200 cal/day diet. I think you need to figure out for yourself what types of percentages you are aiming for, then you can adjust accordingly. I did some research (took a nutrition class at school) and found the following numbers:

Acceptable Macronutrient Distribution (healthy ranges for losing/maintaining weight)
    Carbs 45-65%
    Fat 20-35%
    Protein 10-35%

So I adjusted my goals to less carbs and more protein/fat. I'm now at 135g carbs (45% of daily intake), 90g protein (30%), and 25g fat (25%). I think it's all personal preference so play around with the numbers (Go into "goals" and do the custom option) and see what is do-able for you in your daily food choices. It's hard for me to stay under those carbs and reach that amount of protein, but I know if I try, I'll see results =) Hope this helps!!
  • Egger29
    Egger29 Posts: 14,741 Member
    Options
    Everyone is going to have a different answer as making effectively that decision depends on your current body composition and your personal goals.

In additoin, it's the type of carb that makes the most difference over all. Eat too many processed grains and refined sugars and you won't get the same results as someone eating alot of fibrous foods, vegetables and greens.
  • Brandi_Lei
    Options
    I'm playing around with the numbers and I have written down the following:

25% Fat 39g

35% Carbs 123g

40% Protein 140g

This is not written in stone, but I am just tinkering with figures. I feel that the protein should be the highest, at first I had it at 60%, with carbs coming in second and fat being the lowest.
  • Egger29
    Egger29 Posts: 14,741 Member
    Options
    That looks good.

Get your Fats from healthy sources and Omega 3's like Fish oil, Avocado, Eggs, Nuts and seeds,

Get your Proteins from lean sources of chicken, fish, beef and vegetable proteins.

Get your Carbs from primarily assorted veggies and greens and avoid refined carbs and simple sugars and you'll see any body fat melt away.

Cheers!
  • DawnWendalynn1973
    DawnWendalynn1973 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this post. I had my carbs set way too low and was always frustrated about going over in them.

Because of one of the replies [hawaiianmegan], I have been able to adjust to a more reasonable amount and see what that does for me. Thanks for that!!
  • Brandi_Lei
    Options
    No problem Dawn!! I need all the help I can get.

Thanks Eggers29 and HawaiianMegan! Good Advice.
  • Brandi_Lei
    Options
    I would be in a coma with that many carbs -- well depending on what you're getting them from.
    My settings are 45% protein, 25% carb, 30% fat -- so carbs usually around 80-100.

I think it is incredible that you have lost 110lbs!!

Yes! A serious Carb Coma!!