How often should i do it?

Options
When i first joined the gym i was told to have a rest day every other day! I have found that sometimes i want to go exercise on my rest day. This isn't just because i think i should, but because i want to do a class or just hit the treadmill....

Now i'm more into the exercising is it okay to not have a rest day every other day?

Replies

• godroxmysox
    godroxmysox Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    I only take rest days when I feel like I need them. I am curious to hear opinions on this.
  • lizsmith1976
    lizsmith1976 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I don't think there is any need whatsoever to rest from cardio. If you are strength training and using muscles to point of exhaustion and fatigue - very sore the next day - then you need to give the muscle a chance to rest so that it builds more muscle. I typically rest only a couple of days a month, but only because I can't get to exercising that day, not because I feel like I should rest.
  • crummywatertowr
    crummywatertowr Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't do the same exercise everyday, but cross training should be fine especially since you want to do it. Think more of it as giving muscles rest instead of your body. If you did lots of lowerbody work one day do upper the next or cardio one day weightlifting the next.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I rarely take a rest day. I go to the gym every day except for Sunday (the daycare is closed on Sundays) and on Sunday I go for a hike or a jog while pushing the kids, then I usually do a workout DVD in the evening. I don't work the same muscle groups on back to back days and I fit cardio in almost every day. It's really what your body says.
  • End6ame
    End6ame Posts: 903
    Options
    For cardio/aerobics it is all about managing energy, so do whatever you can handle. For strength training you should allow your muscles to rest for 48 hours before working the same muscle again.
  • Happy0326
    Happy0326 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I started getting back in the exercising mode again & I haven't taken a day of rest unless I feel like it or I can't fit it in that day. I have gone 2 weeks all the way through without a rest day.
  • Delyla07
    Delyla07 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I think you should do what feels good to you! I would still take some days to rest but it doesn't have to be every other day. I'm doing the p90x program and we only rest once a week. They say that you need to get a good amount of sleep as well, and the day of rest for your muscles to heal so as long as you don't burn yourself out go for it!
  • hpygirl64ColleenLinder
    Options
    Your body does need rest day especially when doing weight resistance but it does not need to be every other day. Just do not do the same weight training on the same body parts every day is the basics. I take 2 rest days a week and usually about 4 days apart. Doing some cardio on the rest days is not going to hurt you but you should take rest days for your weight training days. Also weight resistence is important to incorporate into your program as muscle burns fat and that burns more calories even while at rest!

Feel free to friend me ya'll for some calorie free food for thought and health tips ... Colleen (Seattle)
  • ckspores
    ckspores Posts: 52
    Options
    I think rest is important, especially if you are strength training (don't work the same muscle group two days in a row). But, I'm working on running and I find it beneficial for cardio strength and soreness to do the stationary bike or elliptical on my "rest" days.

I always, though, take at least one day off and sometimes two a week. I listen to my body and do what feels right.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I don't take a rest day every other day, I take a rest from a particular activity every other day.
  • sandhillcrane
    Options
    I completely agree with some of the others. You can do cardio everyday. Just not the same muscle group 2 days in a row. Work the upper one day and the lower the next. My cardio workouts are "me time". The rest of the world doesn't exist while I am working out. It is a great mental release!
  • mscoco10
    mscoco10 Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    As long as you do something different each day i think its fine.
  • cheekymonkeyface
    cheekymonkeyface Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys n gals...

My routine is very set in stone, as written down by my gym trainer. Cardio is always the same as are the weights.

Think i'll definitely be thinking less rest from the cardio and maybe just do the weights every other day :)
  • istalkzombies
    istalkzombies Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I rest once a week (typically fridays) but as a general rule of thumb rest as your body needs it, oviously if your sick or wore out take at least a day or two off and every few months I recommend taking about a week off to recharge
  • ambermichon
    ambermichon Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I have always been told one full day of rest a week for your body. However when lifting weights you want a day in between to rest those muscle groups but I just do cardio those days