Feeling rubbish, so easy to lose motivation

Options
I have let myself slip over the last week, it was a kind of planned thing, I was really struggling to go to the gym and it was just feeling like a constant chore so I thought I'd give myself a week off and then get back on it.

Well I just jumped on the scales and now I'm feeling really demotivated, I've put on 4 lbs in the last week (I've ate rubbish over the past few days as well so I know a lot of that will be water)

I've gotta get myself back in the gym today but I can't get out of the "I'll go tomorrow" mindset.

I will go today and just take it easy just to get back into the routine, it isn't the end of the world and I shouldn't let myself get down about it but I can't help but feel like it's an uphill battle.

I'll be fine once I get back in there.

Replies

• Chris_J99
    Chris_J99 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    It’s been a very long time since I went inside a gym. My walks start with a trip to the bottle bank, even if I only have one empty tomato sauce jar. Once I am outside I try and do 30 minutes of exercise. My watch keeps count for me 🤣. I am sure once you get inside that gym you will be ok 😁💪🏼
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,464 Member
    Options
    Going and doing less is always an option. Is your regular routine too aggressive? Have you gone through a steep ramp up? Maybe consider walking it back a bit.

I think in terms of defending my habit and time slot. Even if I’m not feeling it at all in terms of my workout, on any given day I’m still better off at the gym. I can easily fill up gym time with just sitting on the couch and feeling glum. Not a good trade off.
  • EliseTK1
    EliseTK1 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I am with you in feeling demotivated today. I've been eating everything in sight the last few days, and my weight is up 3 lbs. Logically I know it's related to doing some new strength training exercises and consuming copious amounts of salt, but it’s still no fun to see on the scale.

All we can do is keep going, because going backwards is not an option.
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Options
    I want to exercise so bad but I can not motivate myself to actually do it....I swim a couple of days a week but I need to be doing more....it’s easier for me to control my food intake than it is for me to exercise....how does one make themselves have the motivation to Just Do It?...I am losing weight (43 lbs in 138 days ) but I am doing to be a flabby mess if I don’t start moving more...where do I begin?....HELP!
  • Chris_J99
    Chris_J99 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I am lucky enough to be able to cycle to work. That sorts out my exercise 5 days a week. I do like to add in some lunchtime walking but if it’s raining (this is England so this is normal) then I have to push myself to go out. Find something you enjoy then it’s not a chore 😊😊
  • Zinka61
    Zinka61 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Maybe try a different kind of exercise today, like walking? Variety can help.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    The only advice I can offer is to try and try and try again to find something you like (or at least tolerate). Summer it is easier, I can tolerate walking, cycling and golf (I make sure to walk). Winter is another story and that is when I rely on indoor workouts...i bought a decent elliptical and try to use treadmill or bikes at the gym. We also have an indoor walking trail that I can use if I am looking for a change of pace.
    I am really not enjoying cardio much, but I find I don't deviate from my plan if I continue to eat well and do strength training. I do agree, when I get exercise I find it easier to stick to my eating plan
  • leebirm
    leebirm Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Cheers everyone.

I really do enjoy going to the gym, it certainly isn't too aggressive as I only use the treadmill, the fact that I enjoy it is part of the reason I took the week off, it was beginning to feel like a bit of a chore.

I've been delaying it all day but now I'm ready to go, I'm just giving my headphones a bit of a charge and then I'm out of the door.

There is no doubt about it though, even if you enjoy it, it is a hell of a lot easier to sit at home and not move, I'm just glad I am getting back in there today and not putting it off until tomorrow.

Cheers again peeps.