Sugar in fruit

Options
I eat a lot of fruit and most of my sugar comes from that. I am usually under calorie and carb goal but way over on sugar. But I feel well and am losing weight slowly and steadily. Should I be worried about the amount of sugar in fruit?

Replies

• jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    The sugar in fruit is natural sugar, so I wouldn't worry about it.
  • vettle
    vettle Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    no. unless you're diabetic, natural sugar is completely fine. It's the ADDED sugar that you want to limit. So I took sugar right off my site because it was always way over.
  • sonybalony
    sonybalony Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I also eat a LOT of fruit, always over on carbs/sugar because of it, but have happily lost 26 pounds as of today! I feel good, I am losing weight, and I firmly believe in not fixing what ain't broke! lol

Good Luck!!!

~ Sonia
  • literarylin
    Options
    It is natural but if you are still worried - eat fruit earlier in the day so your body burns off the sugars
  • maysflower
    maysflower Posts: 180
    Options
    I asked this question not long ago and the responses I got were very mixed. Some said it's a natural sugar so don't count it, other said sugar is sugar no matter if it's processed or natural.

My suggestion is experiment. For 1 week try to stay under your sugar allowance and see how your body responds. Maybe you don't lose weight, maybe you will lose more than previous weeks. Everyone is different, so I would recommend figuring out what works for you and sticking to that.
  • Heidi1987
    Heidi1987 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I am the same. I eat a lot of fruit and so i'm also always over on sugar but ok with everything else. i have been loosing about 1lb a week for about 4months. I have such a sweet tooth so i always have fruit like a peach or grapes whenever I'm craving sweets or chocolate. I figure its better for my body to have sugar from fruit than from a bar of chocolate or haribos, a lot less calories and I'm still satisfied

:smile:
  • janeinspain
    janeinspain Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    you get your sugar from fruit, you are under your calorie goal, you lose weight and you feel happy. i say don't worry too much. as long as the fruits keep you away from sweets / eliminate cravings, it is great!
    still, if you hit a plateau, this would be an idea on how to get over it: try lowering your fruit intake and see what happens.
    be aware though that some fruits are more sugary than others: grapes and mango are a different story from nectarines and strawberries.

10701432.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    I limit my fruit. Berries are great because they are low-sugar (the body cannot tell the difference between natural and added sugar - it is treated the same). What you get from fruit is the nutrients and added sugar has no nutritional value.
  • TriumphNow
    TriumphNow Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way. I don't worry about the sugar from fruit because it's natural. I'm over on sugar everyday because of it. I've seen some people on here say to limit fruits and just do veggies. I just can't wrap my head around fruit not being good for you. I keep losing weight and the weeks that I don't, it's certainly not because I ate to much fruit.
  • jamie78
    jamie78 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I eat alot of fruit but I mainly eat it in the morning and stick to veggies at night.
  • arykh24
    arykh24 Posts: 64
    Options
    I had the same question. I decided to lower my fruits to one per day due to the high amounts of sugar and carbs. This decision has increased my weight loss a little bit. I am pleased with my decision and will stick to it.
  • dsak
    dsak Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat as you.... 1/2 grapefruit and a yogurt for breakfast, and I'm already close to my sugar goal. Bottom line is sugar is sugar, but... if you are going to get it, best to get it from fruit. I've been reading up on it a little as I have the same concerns as you. What I've read most recently is.... Only 1-2 servings a fruit a day, and... watch those that are high in sugar.... like bananas or mango, etc.

These are the fruits I wrote down that have lower sugar in them: blueberries, strawberries, blackberries, casaba melon, papaya, watermelon, peaches, nectarines, cantaloupes, honeydew melon, apples, guava, apricots and grapefruit.

Some of the above may have higher carb counts as well, so... you'll have to watch them.

I've lost 47lbs since March, and my diet has consisted of 1-2 fruits per day, plus... 2 yogurts per day (which have about 10-12g of sugar). I've been averaging 1.8lb loss per week. Just in the past month I started to look more closely at my sugar consumption. So... bottom line... my diet has been working for me OK to this point, but... I'll be trying to watch it a little more closely when I can.
  • Gilbrod
    Gilbrod Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I love sugar. All forms of it. I eat tons of fruit. Has yet to bother me. Of course, everyone is different. I also work out a lot. Sugar is sugar is sugar. No matter where it comes from, your body will process it the same.
  • jamie78
    jamie78 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Found this hope it helps..

Is the Sugar in Raw Fruit OK?

Q: I've been told the sugar in raw fruits, such as pears and apples, is not bad for me. Is that true?

A: Correct. Fruit contains a two-unit sugar called a disaccharide, which is about half glucose and half fructose. But all sources of carbohydrates are converted to glucose in the body for energy.

Fruit -- whether fresh (raw), canned, dried, packaged with no sugar added, or 100 percent fruit juice -- should be part of a healthful eating plan. Fruit provides a good source of energy, vitamins, minerals, and fiber (although juice doesn't provide fiber).

The Dietary Guidelines for Americans recommend 2 cups of fruit per day for most average-size adults. The American Diabetes Association recommends following the Dietary Guidelines for a healthful eating plan. Do keep portion sizes in mind. Serving sizes are: a small piece of whole fruit, half of a large piece of fruit, and about 1/2 cup of canned or packaged fruit.

Madhu Gadia, M.S., R.D., is a certified diabetes educator.
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I don't know anybody who got fat from eating plain fresh fruit.

Pies and cakes? Fruit filled scones? Those I'd worry about. Also dried fruit, because it is so calorie dense.
  • AMA983
    AMA983 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I asked this question not long ago and the responses I got were very mixed. Some said it's a natural sugar so don't count it, other said sugar is sugar no matter if it's processed or natural.

My suggestion is experiment. For 1 week try to stay under your sugar allowance and see how your body responds. Maybe you don't lose weight, maybe you will lose more than previous weeks. Everyone is different, so I would recommend figuring out what works for you and sticking to that.

I also asked this question awhile ago - and got the same mixed responses. I stopped monitoring sugar so closely because I was going over, but mainly from fruits. Definitely experiment and see what works for you. If I end up hitting a plateau, I plan on re-evaluating sugar, among other things. Good luck!
  • trailrider1963
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I usually have the fruit in the morning and have veggies in afternoon/evening. I guess I'll stick with it as long as I'm losing and feeling okay.