About to undergo weight loss surgery

Options
jeslz
jeslz Posts: 49 Member
Hi all,

I’m back on the weight loss bandwagon. I was using MyFitnessPal about 4 or 5 years ago and then lost my way. I am booked in for a gastric band and plication this Wednesday and am hoping this is the push I need to get my life together.

I am really struggling with the pre-surgery diet (optifast is the worst!) and cannot wait to eat real food again! Only another six or so weeks.

I am 28 years old and live in NSW, Australia.

Jess :)

Replies

• mrsjar5311
    mrsjar5311 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I have a vfew kgs (6) to shed in about 8 weeks (preparing for a tummy tuck and muscle repair) and optifast has been recommended. I have bought some but can't quite bring myself to start taking it!

Good luck and hope all ges well!
  • jeslz
    Options
    Oh best of luck mrsjar5311! I have lost 7.7kg in two weeks by doing the intensive optifast option. I just hate the taste of the shakes so much! And because it’s vlcd, I am so hungry! And the sugar withdrawals aren’t helping either.

Thanks though! I’m a bit nervous!
  • PTA4LYF
    PTA4LYF Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    im from the US and had weight loss surgery on sept 9th my 2 week pre op diet was not liquids just eating 6-8 ounces of selected food and a protein drink 1-2x a day. since the 26th of august i have disposed of 57 pounds have had no complications son good luck. let me know if i can help
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    Good luck with your surgery!
  • kerrysjunk
    kerrysjunk Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    How did your surgery go? Have you had your first fill yet? Make sure you get a doctor who is familiar with finding the portal.
  • mrsjar5311
    Options
    jeslz wrote: »
    Oh best of luck mrsjar5311! I have lost 7.7kg in two weeks by doing the intensive optifast option. I just hate the taste of the shakes so much! And because it’s vlcd, I am so hungry! And the sugar withdrawals aren’t helping either.

Thanks though! I’m a bit nervous!

That's amazing! That is actually enough to push me into taking it! I'll start with 3 days a week (the days I'm not weight training) and stay strictly under my calorie limit for the other 4 days for 2 weeks and see.

When is your surgery?

I'm just across the pond from you in NZ
  • PTA4LYF
    Options
    please let me know how everything goes
  • jeslz
    Options
    Hi all, thanks for the support! I am three days post surgery now. Still in some pain but have some pretty good painkillers for now. Haven’t had a lot to eat or drink since, but have started on some good broth yesterday. I am a total of 11.2kg down since the start of this journey on 1 October. Only another 40-50 to go!
  • mrsjar5311
    Options
    jeslz wrote: »
    Hi all, thanks for the support! I am three days post surgery now. Still in some pain but have some pretty good painkillers for now. Haven’t had a lot to eat or drink since, but have started on some good broth yesterday. I am a total of 11.2kg down since the start of this journey on 1 October. Only another 40-50 to go!

Thar's amazing! Hope you get stronger soon. I've heard it's best to take it easy and start with walking round the house every couple of hours!
  • Carryingwideload
    Carryingwideload Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your decision for band Try to make sure to always follow the post surgical diet and stick to diet and stop eating when you feel full. Please be careful not to overeat as this may cause your stomach to expand or possibly other complications. Watch for the diet sabotagers, they can have a very high influence on your food choices. Be true to yourself and always remember why you chose this path. Good luck and success to you. Am a fellow band placement recipient and learned some things the hard way. Increase activity level carefully and totally enjoy the benefits you will get.
  • jeslz
    Options
    Thanks mrsjar5311! I’ve been doing some short walks around the place and that’s it so far. Won’t be doing too much else just yet. Will wait until I’m back on some solids before starting much exercise.
  • jeslz
    Options
    Congratulations on your decision for band Try to make sure to always follow the post surgical diet and stick to diet and stop eating when you feel full. Please be careful not to overeat as this may cause your stomach to expand or possibly other complications. Watch for the diet sabotagers, they can have a very high influence on your food choices. Be true to yourself and always remember why you chose this path. Good luck and success to you. Am a fellow band placement recipient and learned some things the hard way. Increase activity level carefully and totally enjoy the benefits you will get.

Thank you for the advice! Good to hear from someone who has been there. I’m definitely going to wait until I am back on some solids and fully healed before I start exercising much, and hopefully this will help with portion sizes, as that is where I have fallen down in the past. Like you say, have to stop when I’m full!
  • PTA4LYF
    Options
    i would wait at least a month before starting any exercise routine with the exception of walking through the house or outside on driveway or patio. also understand that feeling of discomfort from food or beverage will feel right below breast bone as i have learned that really where your stomach is!! pain lower than that is from your intestines which may indicate the need to go to the bathroom. at any rate congratulations stick to the plan and you will reach your goals.
  • jeslz
    Options
    PTA4LYF wrote: »
    i would wait at least a month before starting any exercise routine with the exception of walking through the house or outside on driveway or patio. also understand that feeling of discomfort from food or beverage will feel right below breast bone as i have learned that really where your stomach is!! pain lower than that is from your intestines which may indicate the need to go to the bathroom. at any rate congratulations stick to the plan and you will reach your goals.

Thanks! Yes, I was really quite surprised at how high the stomach really is. I was experiencing some pain in the lower chest post surgery and it was explained that it was actually the stomach.

Appreciate all the advice :)