prescription sport sunglasses recommendations?

I want to buy a pair of sunglasses for skiing and biking (high contrast, impact-resistant, air flow for sweat and fog). Adding a prescription in puts me at $700+. Anybody know of any budget options? I've been getting prescription glasses on line for $20, seems like I should be able to find sunglasses for under $200.

Replies

• xrunlukerunx
    xrunlukerunx Posts: 37 Member
    Prescription glasses and sports glasses are not comparable price wise. Whats your Rx?
  • amandaeve
    amandaeve Posts: 723 Member
    It's a very low prescription, something around -2, single vision, minimal asigmatism.
  • cyndit1
    cyndit1 Posts: 170 Member
    When I needed sunglasses I bought a pair of contacts that I only wear to run and use regular sunglasses. Considerably less expensive.
  • amandaeve
    I can't wear contacts anymore because of corneal ulcers. I spent most of my life with very poor vision and had laser surgery about 15 years ago. At this point in my life I don't want to deal with poor vision.

I found a cyclist eye doctor, and invested In a pair of prescription Rudy Project sunglasses by his recommendation. They do a great job on a typical Seattle day, but I still squint in bright light and contrast is terrible. The way my insurance works it would cost me the same to buy a pair of replacement lenses as it would to buy a whole new pair of sunglasses. I just don't want to spend as much money this time around.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    Do you have a Costco membership?
    I know they do prescription sunglasses but I’m not sure what styles they have.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    edited October 2019
    amandaeve wrote: »
    I can't wear contacts anymore because of corneal ulcers. I spent most of my life with very poor vision and had laser surgery about 15 years ago. At this point in my life I don't want to deal with poor vision.

I found a cyclist eye doctor, and invested In a pair of prescription Rudy Project sunglasses by his recommendation. They do a great job on a typical Seattle day, but I still squint in bright light and contrast is terrible. The way my insurance works it would cost me the same to buy a pair of replacement lenses as it would to buy a whole new pair of sunglasses. I just don't want to spend as much money this time around.

I was going to suggest Rudy Project. I have a pair that I primarily use for rowing (so dealing with a significant amount of glare) and I like them a lot. That said, what you're talking about sounds like a lense issue. Are the lenses you chose polarized? Outside of Rudy Project, I have a friend of mine who has Oakleys (also prescription) that she really likes. For whatever reason their prescription sunglasses website isn't working well at the moment, but that would be my second suggestion.

edit: I realize this is by no means a budget option. Nice glasses being expensive and such...
  • aokoye
    Prescription glasses and sports glasses are not comparable price wise. Whats your Rx?

While it's probably easier to find good quality inexpensive regular glasses, my regular glasses (which are by no means the most expensive ones that the glasses shop I typically go to sells) and the prescription sunglasses I use for rowing are very comparable price wise. Off the shelf, I think my Rudy Project glasses were cheaper than my current regular frames and my vision insurance covered the lenses as part of the glasses, which made it cheaper still. I also, of course, had a significantly larger selection of lenses to choose from with my sunglasses.

Because I the prescription for my right eye is pretty strong, I had to get inserts, though those were also covered. Next year I'll probably try to go about getting contacts if only because splashing water can make the lense insert a bit frustrating.
  • amandaeve
    Hm, I'm going to look into Costco.

My Rudy Project lenses are not polarized. I complained to the clinic about the low contrast, and they came back that I didn't request that specifically. I just asked for "sunglasses for cycling". I've never had any problems with contrast before, I guess all my other sunglasses were polarized and I had no idea that non-polarized sunglasses existed.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    As someone who needs progressive lenses, a pair of Oakley Flak Jackets would set me back over $700. The problem with many performance glasses like Oakley is that you can only get prescription sunglasses through them. At least that was the case a few years ago. So I don’t think you can get them at Costco. You will be limited to the frames they supply. But it’s worth a try—I don’t think you can beat the pricing.
  • I think Oakley’s jaw breakers you can get prescription
  • yellowwhitebread
    yellowwhitebread Posts: 1 Member
    Try sportrx.com. I got a pair of prescription sunglasses for baseball for less than 300 dollars during their labor day sale,
  • aokoye
    Hm, I'm going to look into Costco.

My Rudy Project lenses are not polarized. I complained to the clinic about the low contrast, and they came back that I didn't request that specifically. I just asked for "sunglasses for cycling". I've never had any problems with contrast before, I guess all my other sunglasses were polarized and I had no idea that non-polarized sunglasses existed.

I would definitely keep your options open, so I wouldn't say no to looking at what Costco has. I just checked online and it looks like they have Oakleys - though what they have local to you may differ to what's online. That said, take a look at all of the lense options for companies like Rudy Project and Oakley. There are a ton of lenses to choose from and, as you've realized the hard way, they're not all polarized. I had to choose between 27 lenses, though it was fairly easy to quickly make a short list. Even with the "sunglasses for cycling" criteria, you're going to have multiple options.
  • ppatricia81
    ppatricia81 Posts: 23 Member
    Try Rec specs, with polarized polycarbonate lenses and a mirror coating.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited November 2019
    Consider clip on sunglasses that will fit your regular glasses. Some eyeglasses have a clip on made to specifically fit them in a more sleek integrated way.
    Not ideal but a much less $$ option.
  • aokoye
    I want to buy a pair of sunglasses for skiing and biking (high contrast, impact-resistant, air flow for sweat and fog). Adding a prescription in puts me at $700+. Anybody know of any budget options? I've been getting prescription glasses on line for $20, seems like I should be able to find sunglasses for under $200.

700+?
    no way... these guys are insolent...

Welcome to the world of expensive glasses/sunglasses. My prescription sunglasses weren't that much without insurance (at least I don't think they were...) but my regular glasses were probably over $700 without insurance. My vision insurance brought the cost down considerably.
  • seemafitnessgal
    seemafitnessgal Posts: 2 Member

I love all sporting activities which include swimming, cycling, and rock climbing. I know crazy combination my only problem was I had prescription glasses and they well they can fall off anytime I also had a safety band for some time but then they don't actually cover everything. Plus of course like you -I didn't want to sell my limbs to get good sports eyewear.

The solution I found after much search: This Sports Prescription Goggles Site. I have bought almost 4 pairs for different occasions and got tints too. Thought this personal story might help. Just joined the community :)